Local Station Availability

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

deklof

Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I am about to install a new HD system in place of my existing DTV/Divo set up. I just got off the phone with Directv tech support and I think I finally have the story straight on local channels. I would appreciate confirmation if anyone out there is an expert.

As I understand it big networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) are available in the Boston area over the dish in HD, but only if you have a 5 LNB dish and the non-DVR receiver. Other local channels are not available on the dish.

With a DVR receiver, these big-4 channels are not available even with a 5 LNB dish.

There is a new HDTV DVR/receiver in the works (due out mid year) that will allow the reception of local channels with a DVR, but only in SD, not HD.

Bottom line is if you want local channels in HD with a DVR you need to hook an OTA antenna to the HD DVR, whether it is the current model or the new one to come mid year.

I all that correct?

Thanks

deklof said:
I am about to install a new HD system in place of my existing DTV/Divo set up. I just got off the phone with Directv tech support and I think I finally have the story straight on local channels. I would appreciate confirmation if anyone out there is an expert.
As I understand it big networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) are available in the Boston area over the dish in HD, but only if you have a 5 LNB dish and the non-DVR receiver. Other local channels are not available on the dish.
With a DVR receiver, these big-4 channels are not available even with a 5 LNB dish.
There is a new HDTV DVR/receiver in the works (due out mid year) that will allow the reception of local channels with a DVR, but only in SD, not HD.
Bottom line is if you want local channels in HD with a DVR you need to hook an OTA antenna to the HD DVR, whether it is the current model or the new one to come mid year.
I all that correct?
Thanks

The big 4 are available in HD with the 5 LNB dish and the H20. The other locals will come in SD. The HR20-250 HD-DVR will get the big 4 in HD. You can hook up an OTA antenna to the current HD-DVR to get the locals.

Beavis said:
The big 4 are available in HD with the 5 LNB dish and the H20. The other locals will come in SD. The HR20-250 HD-DVR will get the big 4 in HD. You can hook up an OTA antenna to the current HD-DVR to get the locals.
Sorry to hijack this thread but it's this is closely related to a question I have so I'm hoping to get a quick answer.
I've just hooked up a separate OTA antenna to my DVR (HR10-250 ) and I'm not sure what I now need to do to get the local channels in HD. Can someone help me out?
Is there a setting I need to change? How do I even know what channels to tune to in order to watch the HD locals?
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)