Local Station Availability

Status
Please reply by conversation.

deklof

Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I am about to install a new HD system in place of my existing DTV/Divo set up. I just got off the phone with Directv tech support and I think I finally have the story straight on local channels. I would appreciate confirmation if anyone out there is an expert.

As I understand it big networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) are available in the Boston area over the dish in HD, but only if you have a 5 LNB dish and the non-DVR receiver. Other local channels are not available on the dish.

With a DVR receiver, these big-4 channels are not available even with a 5 LNB dish.

There is a new HDTV DVR/receiver in the works (due out mid year) that will allow the reception of local channels with a DVR, but only in SD, not HD.

Bottom line is if you want local channels in HD with a DVR you need to hook an OTA antenna to the HD DVR, whether it is the current model or the new one to come mid year.

I all that correct?

Thanks

deklof said:
I am about to install a new HD system in place of my existing DTV/Divo set up. I just got off the phone with Directv tech support and I think I finally have the story straight on local channels. I would appreciate confirmation if anyone out there is an expert.
As I understand it big networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) are available in the Boston area over the dish in HD, but only if you have a 5 LNB dish and the non-DVR receiver. Other local channels are not available on the dish.
With a DVR receiver, these big-4 channels are not available even with a 5 LNB dish.
There is a new HDTV DVR/receiver in the works (due out mid year) that will allow the reception of local channels with a DVR, but only in SD, not HD.
Bottom line is if you want local channels in HD with a DVR you need to hook an OTA antenna to the HD DVR, whether it is the current model or the new one to come mid year.
I all that correct?
Thanks

The big 4 are available in HD with the 5 LNB dish and the H20. The other locals will come in SD. The HR20-250 HD-DVR will get the big 4 in HD. You can hook up an OTA antenna to the current HD-DVR to get the locals.

Beavis said:
The big 4 are available in HD with the 5 LNB dish and the H20. The other locals will come in SD. The HR20-250 HD-DVR will get the big 4 in HD. You can hook up an OTA antenna to the current HD-DVR to get the locals.
Sorry to hijack this thread but it's this is closely related to a question I have so I'm hoping to get a quick answer.
I've just hooked up a separate OTA antenna to my DVR (HR10-250 ) and I'm not sure what I now need to do to get the local channels in HD. Can someone help me out?
Is there a setting I need to change? How do I even know what channels to tune to in order to watch the HD locals?
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)