Local TV help (Orange County, CA)

jcm444

Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm currently looking for some information in the Tustin Ranch area for those familiar with this region.

I have a question about how to get local channels in this area. I've since moved out of the OC but a family member needs some advice on this issue. In the past they used to hook up the wall cable to a QAM tuner which ran to an older LED TV to get local channels (if I remember right, a simple antenna did NOT work for some reason in this area; or maybe it was the TV's fault?)

But I think I read somewhere that the cable (I think Cox serves this area) itself no longer carries the channels (making the QAM tuner useless), so really OTA seems to be the only option left. Does anyone know what the best way forward is at this point? Would a newer TV be able to pick up local OTA signals that the older LED TV was not able to (even using an antenna)? They are not looking to subscribe to some expensive cable company that we all hate anyway but would welcome the ability to receive local channels.

Thanks in advance.

I'm currently looking for some information in the Tustin Ranch area for those familiar with this region.

I have a question about how to get local channels in this area. I've since moved out of the OC but a family member needs some advice on this issue. In the past they used to hook up the wall cable to a QAM tuner which ran to an older LED TV to get local channels (if I remember right, a simple antenna did NOT work for some reason in this area; or maybe it was the TV's fault?)

But I think I read somewhere that the cable (I think Cox serves this area) itself no longer carries the channels (making the QAM tuner useless), so really OTA seems to be the only option left. Does anyone know what the best way forward is at this point? Would a newer TV be able to pick up local OTA signals that the older LED TV was not able to (even using an antenna)? They are not looking to subscribe to some expensive cable company that we all hate anyway but would welcome the ability to receive local channels.

Thanks in advance.
:welcome2jcm444! Since tv signals are affected by topography, distance, etc probably the best way to proceed would be to go to this website: http://tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 Once there, enter the exact location the antenna is to be mounted as well as the height you are able/willing to install it at. This will give you a report for that location. Post the link to the report back here so that a member can analyze it and recommend the best antenna option.:)

Thanks for the help. I went to that website and here is what I got:

Attachments

• Radar-All.png
    Radar-All.png
    65 KB · Views: 212
With that many station LOS (Line Of Sight) and under 40 miles away you shouldn't have a problem getting decent reception. Most of the stations for your location are in the UHF band with only a few in the high VHF band. Here is an antenna with high VHF/UHF coverage. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HBU33&ss=382874 Range is 60 miles for UHF and 70 miles for VHF. It has excellent reviews. There are a few stations in the Low VHF band (real channels 2-6 in your report) that this antenna won't receive. Unless you intend to use a rotor, point the antenna to 322° on a compass. That's where the majority of your stations will be. Good luck!

Reactions: Mr Tony
QAM tuners are for cable. Don't work for OTA. The LED television should likely have an ATSC tuner that's OTA (antenna) ready.

(for the price) I'd be willing to put up a Stealth Hawk DIY http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/ricmond-va-new-to-ota.339086/

around 30 ft in the air. May add an amp like a TVPRAMP1R
http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Antenna-Pre-Amplifier/14554631 or a Channel Master 7778, if some fade out occasionally. Should do well except for the VHF-Lo channel 2.

If only interested in the stations to the NW (334°)
There are 2 on VHF Hi, one on VHF Lo, and the rest UHF.
I'd go with something like a suburban all channel antenna aimed to the NW.
One model is the Channel Master CM-3016,

Hm, thank you all for the help. The home is in a condo association so I'm not sure what the rules are about putting up antennas; are there any indoor options that could do the job?

You might also check out Winegard HD-1080 at Solid Signal from $24.99 plus shipping can be used inside but better outside.

thank you all for the help. to change the discussion a bit, does anyone know if a digital converter box from a local store like Best Buy or Walmart or what have you would be able to get signal? or are the cables found in the wall completely dead?

The cables in the wall are connected to the cable company, and most likely won't have anything. When I connected my TV to the cable jack with no cable service, it only scanned in the "if you see this, get a DTA box from Comcast" message. IF there are ClearQAM channels it would pick them up. A converter box would have an ATSC tuner for over-the-air and not scan anything when connected to the wall.

As far as the condo goes, if you have a balcony/porch with "exclusive use", ie yours and yours alone, you can put up a dish up to 1M or an antenna so long as none of it reaches out into a common area, such as the shared yard. Like FaT Air said, check the sticky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts