Locals for $12 / mo. from new startup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Very interesting. I would be even more interested if I could watch on Roku...lets see how it plays out

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

You probably also will need an IP address that according to their look up table locates you in NYC. Not difficult but it will cost you a few bucks a month.

isn't that like a big no no with copyrights?

Their legal theory is that since each of their customers is using a private antenna going to a box that streams the content exclusively to the customer it is no different than if the customer had installed their own antenna. They are renting a tiny bit of real estate to the customer to put an antenna up...

not sure if I understand correctly but would that be like if someone put up an antenna and uplinked the channel to a server somewhere so they could store/redistribute it? Get people all over to get every channel and then have access to all of them?

not sure if I understand correctly but would that be like if someone put up an antenna and uplinked the channel to a server somewhere so they could store/redistribute it? Get people all over to get every channel and then have access to all of them?

No, each customer has their own antenna and private virtual storage.

Cablevision won the private virtual storage lawsuit last year (it was fought all the way to the Supreme Court where the appeal of the broadcasters was denied). Cablevision now has DVR service in the central office where each customer can have their own storage space, so if 1000 people record Saturday Night Live there are 1000 separate copies in CVC's data warehouse.

So, now these guys are taking the next step saying that since having a central DVR and transmission has been found to be legal, hooking this up to a private antenna should make it legal to use OTA programming.

They hired the same lawyer CVC used to win their case last year Aereo hires Cablevision attorney for copyright battle with broadcasters - FierceCable

They appear to have deep pockets. It is an important case to win. If they win IPTV will have a major step forward with providers being able to offer local channels. The interesting twist is since they are using OTA antennas they do not have to pay the fees that the cable and satellite now pay. They are not commercial retransmitters, they are just leasing a dime sized antenna and an internet server to private individuals to do with as they wish. Just like if you put up an antenna at your house and had a DVR and sling box.

If this goes thru, very soon all the cable providers would realized that they don't have to pay the broadcasting networks. All they have to do is rent a hill and put up a $10 antenna per customer. Then the broadcasting network realized that they are not going to get paid by not streaming live, so they will just put up their own live streaming and it will be free IPTV for all! :D

It is now only $8 including DVR capabilities. And free to try 1 hour everyday. Now I just need them to expand out of NY and come to Los Angeles! :p $8 is cheaper than just renting the DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)