Locals/HD Question..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

r0adb10ck

Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Hey Gentlemen,

Long time DTV subscriber. I do however only subscribe for Sunday Ticket. I've only ever had SD, no locals and my little 18" round dish for years. I think this year it's time to take the plunge and get HD along with locals just because I can't take watching in SD anymore. I also like to do my own install. My dish is mounted to a pole in the backyard, and I'd like to just replace it, obviously knowing that it is far more complicated. Only have one receiver. So yes.. get to the questions.. BTW.. my D10 just crapped out so they sent me an HR24?

Can I get local channels with my current setup? (The 18" dish)

If not, will the Slimline SWM with 3 LNBs do the trick for both locals and HD? I only want it connected to one box, so not looking for complicated switches and the like.

Would like your feedback..

PS.. located in Syracuse NY..

Hey Gentlemen,

Long time DTV subscriber. I do however only subscribe for Sunday Ticket. I've only ever had SD, no locals and my little 18" round dish for years. I think this year it's time to take the plunge and get HD along with locals just because I can't take watching in SD anymore. I also like to do my own install. My dish is mounted to a pole in the backyard, and I'd like to just replace it, obviously knowing that it is far more complicated. Only have one receiver. So yes.. get to the questions.. BTW.. my D10 just crapped out so they sent me an HR24?

If not, will the Slimline SWM with 3 LNBs do the trick for both locals and HD? I only want it connected to one box, so not looking for complicated switches and the like.

Would like your feedback..

PS.. located in Syracuse NY..

The Slimline or SWiM would work either way, both will handle HD.

1 issue though, your dish is the old one, it's on a pole, the pole is 1 5/8th, your set up for the Slimlime or SWiM will require a 2" OD pipe.
Check with your local Fence post company.

You would get very little HD with your current set up, the new dish will handle your HD as well as your locals.

Your SD locals are actually on 72.5, which requires a 2nd 18" dish. But, ALL 72.5 markets are in transition to MPEG4 only, so ALL of your locals are duplicated now on the Ka birds, which require a slimline 3 & MPEG4 receivers.

If not, will the Slimline SWM with 3 LNBs do the trick for both locals and HD?

Yes

I only want it connected to one box, so not looking for complicated switches and the like.

If you have 2 coax runs to your existing dish, then all you really need is the slimline 3 legacy LNB. (NOT SWiM) This way, you do NOT have to screw around with the additional power supply for the SWiM LNB. (legacy doesn't require added power supplies)
However if you do only have 1 coax run, they get the SWiM slimline, so you don't have to run another coax.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)