Locals on Conus Location as of today:

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
(Upated 7/25/08)
Any of this info could change at any time. But as of this very moment...

*=is uplinked to a spotbeam as well and may move at any time. Not advisable to "move" to these locations unless you are under the correct "spot"
(UPDATE--- As of July 2008 the * are available to subscribers at 61.5° spot beam as well as the locations marked below)

HD
148°
Fairbanks, AK (ABC, Fox, PBS) (2nd PBS & TBN non HD)
Juneau, AK (ABC PBS)

129° (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Los Angeles
Chicago*
Albuquerque
Denver
Nashville*
Minnianpolis*
Atlanta*
Salt Lake City (no ABC)
Kansas City

118°
St. Louis
Detroit*
Raleigh*
Pittsburgh
Charlotte*

SD

110°
Denver (ABC CBS, NBC, Fox ONLY) (CW at 119°)
Chicago (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox ONLY)

119°
Atlanta ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox (AAD-NPS Only)
San Francisco ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox (AAD-NPS Only)
New York (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, MyTV only)

105° (REMOVED AS OF 5/28/08)
Sioux City
Columbuis, OH
Charleston, WV
Dayton, OH
Clarksburg/Weston, WV
Charlottesville, VA

121° (REMOVED AS OF 5/28/08)
Erie
Wausau, WI
Providence
Wichita Falls/Lawton

129°
Erie
Sioux City
Columbus, OH
Wausau, WI
Charleston, WV
Dayton, OH
Wichita Falls/Lawton
Clarksburg/Weston, WV
Charlottesville, VA

148°
Medford, OR
Cheyenne, WY
Lubbock, TX
Casper, WY
Rapid City, SD
San Angelo, TX
Abiline, TX (National PBS at 119°)
Billings, MT

See ya
Tony

129° (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Loa Angeles
Chicago*
Albuquerque
Denver
Nashville*
Minnianpolis*
Atlanta*
Salt Lake City (no ABC)
Kansas City....
Thanks Tony!

For some reason every time I see HD Locals on a CONUS TP on 129° I get :hungry: for new National HD :D

Talon Dancer

Note that within a year or less, Ciel 2 will be launched to 129 with spotbeams, so it seems likely that most or all locals on 129 will be spotbeam, rather than CONUS in 2009.

PS If I had to guess which market would remain CONUS the longest (i.e. last to go to spot beams), I would guess "Denver" - so that EchoStar employees could watch their local news when they are traveling...

Last edited:
The only reason for Denver to remain Conus is really due to the size of the markt. It takes most of the state of Colorado, a good hunk of the Nebraka panhandle, and an enormous chunk of Wyoming all the way to the Montana border. There currnetly aren't any spot beams that large.
Denver.gif

Salt lake City comes close, but Denver is the king in area

See ya
Tony

It is possible 129 will have a spot big enough to cover all of Denver. But, since it is Dish HQ market, it is possible that it might need "testing" nationwide...

this seems to be a good post to ask this? I started getting my locals out of mobile last week after turning my 129 around for 61.5 and all seemed good , but today I lost all my locals sd and hd and I was trying to figure out what happened . do I need to be closer to a spot beam , I'm in 32547 about 100 miles east of mobile. my voom ch's are fine just missing locals right now. there are clouds and rain to south right now, is that the problem? since I switched to 61.5 I have had alot of freeze ups and had to reboot many times. also , which transponders do the locals come in on 61.5, I'm getting 70 plus on most of the upper ones but no signal on most of the lower ones under 10 right now. thanks for any help

Before you do anything else, try a cold reboot on your receiver. On the receiver press and hold the power button until the receiver restarts. Wait about 5 minutes until that process is over and check again.

As long as you get signal from the spot beams your locals are on there is no reason why you shouldn't get them (as long as you are subscribed!

This morning I woke up to all my HD channels in red. I rebooted the receiver and everything was okay after that. This is why I am suggesting that.

See ya
Tony

Before you do anything else, try a cold reboot on your receiver. On the receiver press and hold the power button until the receiver restarts. Wait about 5 minutes until that process is over and check again.

As long as you get signal from the spot beams your locals are on there is no reason why you shouldn't get them (as long as you are subscribed!

This morning I woke up to all my HD channels in red. I rebooted the receiver and everything was okay after that. This is why I am suggesting that.

See ya
Tony
I've done several reboots since this started about 2 hours ago with no change except I did get my sd locals back on the last reboot. I 'm starting to think it may be weather related since I'm getting just my hd locals from 61.5. If I'm on the edge of the spot beam with bad weather will that make them not come in? If I try to tune to a local hd it will go to searching for sat then error 002 signal acquisition in progress while on 61.5 and transponder 3

Last edited:
Check your singal strength. Press 6-1-1 and look at the signal strength of your 61.5 tp 3. It you get no signal, then you cannot receive those channels. If you get signal, then you should be able to receive those channels. It's just that simple. If your signal level is really low, then any time there is any kind of "weather" in your area, you will most likely lose your HD channels.

See ya
Tony

Check your singal strength. Press 6-1-1 and look at the signal strength of your 61.5 tp 3. It you get no signal, then you cannot receive those channels. If you get signal, then you should be able to receive those channels. It's just that simple. If your signal level is really low, then any time there is any kind of "weather" in your area, you will most likely lose your HD channels.

See ya
Tony
can I tweak it a little to focus more on the 3 transponder, if so any advice on the best way?

What would be a good "Move" if you have just 110 119 129 i would also like to keep FSN MW as my sports channel. to get the St Louis Cardinals. any ideas or suggestions HD's for the big 4 would be great.

To get SL Cards you need to live in the St. Louis area. No way around that. This requires a Dish 1000 PLUS so you can get 118°. However, I see St. Louis moving to 61.5° eventually on a spot that covers most of Missouri and western Illinois. Depending on the transponder, it may not reach KC because of interferance with that spot beam.

See ya
Tony

Yes, thanks. Nice list that will come in handy for us 'movers.'

I am 'living' in Chicago now for the end of the hockey season but I may actually try to move closer to Idaho Falls, ID by going to SLC after hockey is over. I think that I am actually in their spot beam although it doesn't show me in it when I look at the coverage maps. I have a couple of complaints with SLC tv though - no ABC in HD on Dish and the local NBC affiliate does not broadcast SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE. I think that is a mormon thing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)