Locals Only from any cable or satellite provider

Mr. Sheep

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
United States
Every summer and occasionally spring, we go up to a place where there's densely packed forests, and that makes it hard to get TV stations with an antenna. The only way we'd even be able to get LOS of the local PBS station is by erecting a 150 foot tower. It's simply not an option. Our grandparents own the place, and they used to get locals only cable from Charter (now Spectrum) for $12 a month about half a decade ago. Talked to Spectrum today and locals only costs a whopping $37.49 per month. That option is definitely off the table for us. Is there any cable or satellite provider that offers locals only for a price lower than what Spectrum has to offer?

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

There will be only one cable provider available at any particular location.

DISH is probably your only option unless you can get something from the one and only phone company that serves that location. Locals-only (~$12?) through DISH would demand that you buy and install the equipment. Spectrum probably knows that the DISH deal that involves any free hardware probably costs about the same price. It seems to me that $37.50 for lifeline cable TV service is relatively steep but Spectrum has to make it up somewhere.

Withholding details about the location (such as a zip code) typically makes giving a thoughtful answer considerably more difficult.

Reactions: ncted
Certainly rural areas are likely to only have 1 cable provider. Spectrum Basic where I live costs $23.89 + tax. There must be a lot of tax at your location.

Certainly rural areas are likely to only have 1 cable provider. Spectrum Basic where I live costs $23.89 + tax. There must be a lot of tax at your location.
Yep. Spectrum is the only cable provider carried there, so it looks like a satellite service is our only other option.

Spectrum is well-aware of what's available (and what isn't available) as well as what any of their competitors offer in each of their service areas. If OTA is a widespread problem, the price for lifeline is often much higher.

Spectrum's website doesn't list lifeline (they may no longer offer it here) but they offer the TV Select package at my vacation home with 231 channels for $44.99 for the first year.

Spectrum is well-aware of what's available (and what isn't available) as well as what any of their competitors offer in each of their service areas. If OTA is a widespread problem, the price for lifeline is often much higher.

Spectrum's website doesn't list lifeline (they may no longer offer it here) but they offer the TV Select package at my vacation home with 231 channels for $44.99 for the first year.

Yeah, everything on Spectrum is more where my parents and brother live. My brother can't even get Spectrum at his address. He could get Dish, but cannot afford it. He has a WiMax WISP for internet, but Sling is the only thing that works on it, so he gets no local channels.

$37.50 sounds about right. $23.89 for Basic + $11.99 Broadcast BS Fee = $35.88 total. Add in the franchise fee which is based on a percentage of the TV potion of the bill and you get the difference. The franchise fee is set by your local municipality, in my area its 5.04%.

Charter has national pricing. Promo pricing may vary from area to area slightly, but after that retail rates are the same across their entire footprint, with maybe a small handful of exceptions.

It doesn't matter if you can symmetrical gigabit fiber from AT&T or Verizon for $80 or $90 or live in the middle of nowhere like me, Charter's gigabit service is $126 standalone, or $120 bundled after promos expire, period. No exceptions.

$37.50 sounds about right. $23.89 for Basic + $11.99 Broadcast BS Fee = $35.88 total. Add in the franchise fee which is based on a percentage of the TV potion of the bill and you get the difference. The franchise fee is set by your local municipality, in my area its 5.04%.

Actually, that price does *not* include cable channels. It's $37.50 for only locals. Way overpriced.

Actually, that price does *not* include cable channels. It's $37.50 for only locals. Way overpriced.

Correct, more or less. I never said what it included, If your talking about Spectrum Basic, it includes all locals, all local subchannels that are carried, community access channels, the C-SPANs, a few shopping channels, and if your areas has one, Spectrum News.

Charter has national pricing. Promo pricing may vary from area to area slightly, but after that retail rates are the same across their entire footprint, with maybe a small handful of exceptions.

That is ridiculous for the channels they provide at that cost.

Seems like the exceptions are always in the poorest, most rural areas. It is almost as bad as AT&T redlining their fiber service.

Call your cable provider and ask about their "Basic Cable" package. It has limited channels, but does include the locals. It's normally priced below their lowest advertised package. I think Charter/Spectrum's Basic is $24/mo, but that may vary by location.

Call your cable provider and ask about their "Basic Cable" package. It has limited channels, but does include the locals. It's normally priced below their lowest advertised package. I think Charter/Spectrum's Basic is $24/mo, but that may vary by location.
You usually want to ask for "Lifeline". Basic or Starter usually include quite a few cable channels that you don't want to pay for (but they throw them in to keep the shopping and religious channels from dominating the guide). Of course, the prices all go up on day 366.

Again, Charter's lowest priced package, advertised or not is Spectrum Basic. 23.89 + $11.99. That's it. That is their 'lifeline' package, and that is the normal price.

Attachments

• 2019rates.jpg
    2019rates.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 220
  • basic.jpg
    basic.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: k.r. and NYDutch
Harsh, don't let Spectrum fool you. Even with that spartan lifeline service, they still nail you with hidden charges. You NEVER pay the low teaser price they claim. It's always added fees that jack the price another minimum (depending on location) $12 or a bit more.

Reactions: krynn
Harsh, don't let Spectrum fool you. Even with that spartan lifeline service, they still nail you with hidden charges. You NEVER pay the low teaser price they claim. It's always added fees that jack the price another minimum (depending on location) $12 or a bit more.

You mean like the $14.99/mo 30 Mbps Internet service at our Adirondack cottage? Our total monthly bill with all taxes and fees is... Wait for it... $14.99! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)