Locals

maxmoto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
NW Ohio
I cannot recieve local channels when the person that lives a block away has them. They are using their actual address and did not "move".

"A block away" can mean "In another county" or "In another Zip+4 area" both of which would mean different local channels. The local channel boundaries have to be somewhere. Some times it's on the street you cross to get to the other block.

I would need details to verify though.

See ya
Tony

He is in another county. The town I am living in is actually in 3 countys. I am tring to recieve the toledo ohio locals. E* does not offer my locals and probably never will.

You are correct. It is very unlikely that Lima will ever see locals via Dish. Here is the way the TV market map looked in Ohio in the 2006-2007 TV year. It may have changed slightly this year. (Auglaize county bounces back and forth between Dayton and Lima almost Annually)

Buffton, Oh is one of those places that defy logic. Rt. 15 is the boundary. Those to the east of the road get locals, those to the west do not. I am also pretty sure that even numbered houses on that road get locals and odd numbered houses do not!

See ya
Tony

I guess I could always "move". I do have an OTA antenna but it is such a pain. I hate getting up and turning the rotor. I do have one question... If my PBS station is Bowling Green and is included with the Toledo locals why can they not give me this channel? Not that I ever watch it, but just asking.

There are a ton of threads on this same topic.

The law that allows Dish and DirecTV to carry local channels (without the law there would be so many other obstacles that probably no locals would be carried) is specific. Dish and DirecTV are only allowed to carry TV station inside that TV station's designated marketing area regardless of where the transmitter is. Bowling Green is inside the Toledo market, therefore that station can only be carried in the toledo market.

There are towns in northern butler county Ohio that can throw a rock and hit the Dayton station's transmission towers. They are not allowed to receive Dayton channels via satellite since they are in the Cincinnati market! They could get the Dayton channels with a paper clip inserted into the RF lead of their TV, but the way the law is written now there is no "give".

See ya
Tony

take up with the govt you vote for and elect. not dish. they write the laws. pbs is public broadcasting and a not for profit channel. that is why there is more leeway on them being offered where abc/nbc.cbs.fox etc are all for profit and are stricly kept in the dma.

I am not saying it is dish's fault. I know it is not. I guess my point is that since WBGU is my local PBS station that I sould be able to recive it. If I get a local OTA I should be able to get it from a satellite provider, if offered. This is something that has always bothered me and probably always will.

I understand the sentiment, but I have to say again that WBGU is NOT your local anything. It is close to you and you could probably get the sation with a coat hanger attached to the antenna leads on your TV, but the station is licensed to Bowling Green which is in another county. So it is Bowling Green's PBS. Sonce Bowling Green is in the Toledo TV market, that makes it Toledo's secondary PBS. Sorry. :)

Your locals are licensed to Lima.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)