Locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cb6921

Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
I have some specific questions on a frequently discussed topic regarding Directv local channel availability. I have read many forums on the topic across multiple sites, but wanted to ask the question with some specifics, and see if I am missing something. I believe I am out of luck, but wanted to ask folks that know more about this than me.

I live in Macon, GA and want to setup a satellite dish at a tailgate in Athens, GA - Go Dawgs - and receive local channels using one of my receivers (Macon account). Is this possible?

It appears from some spot beam maps that Athens is included in the Macon coverage area; however, I believe Athens gets locals from Atlanta via Directv. Athens is 90-100 miles from Macon. Does this mean the spot beam coverage is trumped somehow by broadcasting regulation; i.e., out of luck for locals on my receiver in Athens?

In researching other antenna options, it appears the type supplemental antennas offered by Directv are not capable of receiving a strong enough signal to capture Macon or Atlanta locals. Any suggestions?

:welcome to Satelliteguys cb6921!

Local channels are on spot beams, so if you go too far you can't get them. I don't have a spot beam map for Macon, but the locals are on 99c transponder 6. Check that signal strength when you are in Athens. The signal needs to be above about 70 for stable reception, but you can get it with less. As long as the signal is strong enough and your receiver is authorized, you can get the Macon locals in Athens.

I get Directv locals from Raliegh NC. I use a slim line HD dish when camping. Ive been to the Mountains in North Western NC mountains, all the way to Myrtle Beach SC and still get a great signal. Not sure if some spot beams are bigger than others but it appears our spot beam covers all of NC.

The Raleigh beam covers all of VA, NC, and SC, except the very western parts of VA and NC may have spotty coverage. It even makes it way to the GA/SC border.

The Raleigh beam covers all of VA, NC, and SC, except the very western parts of VA and NC may have spotty coverage. It even makes it way to the GA/SC border.

What is the coverage of the Boston locals spot beam?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

What is the coverage of the Boston locals spot beam?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

All of NE, NJ, plus the eastern halves of PA and NY.
Check the satmaps list at the bottom of the page. Most of the local coverage maps are there.
The reliable coverage area is within the pink lines.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts