Logitech CEO: Google TV 'cost us dearly,' no Revue replacement coming

If you put enough pressure and heat on a turd, would it turn into a diamond?

You can polish a turd, but then all you are left with is a shiny turd.

Are there any stand alone boxes besides the revue. Will it still be getting honeycomb

A laptop? This really is the best solution for full featured internet on your tv. The lack of true flash and java support really kills devices.

The idea that Google has is believed by many to be the future of television.

Yes, the many that cannot tear themselves away from the internet for 2 seconds. Google has been desperate to get back in the SN racket and rival FB. This is where their focus is now so this product is pretty much at EOL/SOL.

With so many televisions and blu-ray players incorporating the most desired web content (netflix, bb, fb, etc....) there is no need to have another settop box taking up space in your entertainment center. Most are starting to include the coveted DLNA support. Dish really needs to add this feature. Even Tivo has a similar feature.

They are trying to do too many things. The roku, wd tv live, and sony smp-n100 are all superior devices.

Side note on this webtv thing. If you like the little skits popping up and the bottom of the screen for upcoming shows, then you will just love the status updates and tweet alert messages popping up while you are trying to watch a show.

Damn, really. At the end of the day when all you want to do is prop yourself on the couch with a beer and watch some tv, you do not want it to be complicated. K.I.S.S...

A laptop? This really is the best solution for full featured internet on your tv. The lack of true flash and java support really kills devices.
Except laptop PCs lack an all inclusive 10-foot interface so you don't have to site in front of your TV with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Boxee is close, but it's missing content that most people want. It has a lot of niche content or it can play your ripped/pirated movie collection. There's nothing that offers all current network content the day after it's released for a reasonable cost.

Yes, the many that cannot tear themselves away from the internet for 2 seconds. Google has been desperate to get back in the SN racket and rival FB. This is where their focus is now so this product is pretty much at EOL/SOL.
Really? Well lets see what Google has to say about that:
But as Mario Queiroz, Google’s vice president of product management, told me, Google considers Google TV to be a marathon project, not a sprint.
Google TV, Take 2: Android Apps Join the Smart TV Party | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

They are trying to do too many things. The roku, wd tv live, and sony smp-n100 are all superior devices.
No, those two are not... sorry.

Side note on this webtv thing. If you like the little skits popping up and the bottom of the screen for upcoming shows, then you will just love the status updates and tweet alert messages popping up while you are trying to watch a show.
Then turn off notifications... done.

yep, if no monthly fee from Dish, I would have bought a Revue (at $99). Instead I bought a refurbed Sony network player for < $40 (wireless too!)

It will easily go with me if/when I change services. (since I am also an ex-Absolute customer and thus am not getting any of the Blockbuster benefits with my Platinum service)

Scott Greczkowski said:
You do with the new software.

It's mandatory? That's plain awful. I paid full price for my unit, no Dish subsidy. Why on earth should I be forced to pay $4 to continue using a device I paid for in the same manner I have been using it?

It seems to be. If I put in I want to use it with a 722 it puts up a message that I must call DISH and activate the GoogleTV service before continuing. :(

It's CRAP I tell ya!

There's nothing that offers all current network content the day after it's released for a reasonable cost.

Agreed, but no device is at fault for that. the boxee adding support for a USB ATSC tuner is going to be pretty cool and is a good step in the right direction.

The article clearly shows how they are replicating what has been done. iN the comments, opinions are clear. Just wait, they will incorporate google tv to google+ integration for people to get their premium content. for some reason, facebook had success with this.

“Our point of view is that there’s new content coming, content that you just haven’t been able to access with your TV. Now we’re bringing that content, and adding the discovery experience on top of it.”

that is what they said, and nothing suck more than waiting for something good to come to your tv when you can see it on your pc without delay.

No, those two are not... sorry.

That depends on who you ask and what they are using it for. But really, even the article states: In theory: Fantastic. In practice: Difficult to use.

Then turn off notifications... done.

Until the next update or software error. People shouldn't have to worry about security issues or other complications just to watch tv.

If you own it, and like it, then good for you. Not everyone is going to be a fan. The biggest mistake they made was indeed the integration fee. But even so, no standalone box is able to provide anything close to mediacenter PC.

Scott Greczkowski said:
It seems to be. If I put in I want to use it with a 722 it puts up a message that I must call DISH and activate the GoogleTV service before continuing. :(

It's CRAP I tell ya!

yes I agree if you want the dish receiver connected to the revue. if you connect it as a totally separate device there is no fee but also no integration