Long cable installation help needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kiseika

Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm on a middle level apartment with a northeast facing balcony (d'oh!) and we managed to get set up by putting the dish on our upstairs neighbors balcony. Long story short, they moved and now it looks like the new neighbors don't want the dish there. The complex claims that they don't like dishes pole mounted around the buildings but there are plenty that they haven't taken down. In order to avoid the hassle and uncertainty of finding neighbors amenable to my dish, I want to install on the side of the building where there's already someone's 18" dish.

So here's what I'm looking at, and any and all advice is much appreciated...

We've got the SL3 with the SWM LNB which is currently on a 6' pole. The side of the building I'm looking at is unfortunately on the other side, and so there'd need to be between 150-200' of cable run. I'm thinking it'll fall somewhere around 160-170'.

My main questions/concerns:
What kind of issues might I run into at that length and what can I do to prevent them? Cost is an issue, so I'm looking for good but cheap cable, so where should I be looking?

The complex is a little inconsistent about how they treat these things. It may be up for a year before they decide they don't like it. I was given some bull about dishes being taken down every quarter when the corporate management people come around, but I'm not sure I believe it. However...I'd love to find some quick, easy way to put the pole in the ground that'll give me a secure mount for at least a year. I'm a little concerned that they'll slice through my pole if I pour cement in the ground and they can't get it out.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

P.S. If you happen to be a rogue installer on the north side of Atlanta and think you have a solution, PM me.

The maximum distance is 150' dish to receiver for SWM. That doesn't mean your distance won't work, but it's close. You can get your cable from MonoPrice. Solid copper core RG-6 is what you need.

No installer will do an installation without written permission from your landlord (unless you are putting it on your "exclusive use" area) So I would start with the landlord and work something out. A pole mount would be best if they will let you do it....oh....and a pole mount without concrete is a waste of time.....

The maximum distance is 150' dish to receiver for SWM. That doesn't mean your distance won't work, but it's close. You can get your cable from MonoPrice. Solid copper core RG-6 is what you need.

Ok, that's what I was figuring. However, unless I'm looking in the wrong place, monoprice seems to be out of their bulk cables and the smaller lengths are all copper clad steel.

No installer will do an installation without written permission from your landlord (unless you are putting it on your "exclusive use" area) So I would start with the landlord and work something out.

Exactly why I need a rogue installer. One that doesn't play by the rules and fights for the little guy. Otherwise, I'll just be out in the cover of darkness with nothing but a post digger and a bucket of concrete. I'm a little upset at the management company for the way they've treated us about this. They told us we wouldn't have any problems, but it seems they were just trying to get us to sign the lease. Should've figured as much, but I was young and naive then (3 months ago...)

A pole mount would be best if they will let you do it....oh....and a pole mount without concrete is a waste of time.....

Yeah...I figured as much, but I'm still holding out hope that someone out there has found the key to a concreteless pole.

I saw somewhere that 200 feet is the maximum - I was able to buy rg6 cheap at walmart.com, so tried a 250 foot run to a second building - it has been working for two years now. This is dish, with a dish 500 dish.

I saw somewhere that 200 feet is the maximum - I was able to buy rg6 cheap at walmart.com, so tried a 250 foot run to a second building - it has been working for two years now. This is dish, with a dish 500 dish.

It changes according to what set up your using.
It doesn't hurt to run a line and see if it will work before investing too much time.
200-250, I would definitely give it a try

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)