Long distance BUD to house

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tonydix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Bocas del Toro, Panama
I have had some success in picking up satellites with US footprints down here in Panama.
The house is 140 feet from the BUD and so often I find that I can lock a signal at the foot of the dish but cannot lock it at the house due to losses in the coax.
Following advice from others on this site (thanks) I have installed an inline amplifier near the base of the BUD. This is working really well and I can now get good signals in the house.
So my next problem is how do I move the dish and the corotor from the house 140 away from the dish. I could just install real heavy duty wiring to take the motor load and less substantial wiring to carry the signal loads for the counter and the corotor.

But there might be a more elegant solution of having a control box near the bud and just a light duty signal cable running from the house to that control box.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks
Tony

The current through the position feedback and corotor wires is trivial, thus a 140 foot cable run should not present any issues. Based on the size of your dish, the standard gauge wire found in satellite ribbon cable could be on the small size. A quick comparison of voltages in the house and at the dish will let you know if that is really an issue.

I would not pursue any remote system mounted at the dish. A 140 foot cable run is not outside of normal practice. My uncle had a dish positioned over 800 feet from his house and used nothing but two inline amplifiers along the way with excellent results.

signal

C band lnbs cost is low now and if it is old replace it with a new one. I changed my LNB on a 8.5 ft dish and made a big difference. In the process changed both C and KU lnbs made a big difference. Make sure you use good low loss coax as the frequency is over 1000 mhz. :D

For a remotely controlled PS take a look at this post. http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...4106-gbox-vbox-power-booster.html#post2118455 Back in the day, some installs were up to 400 Ft, and the ribbon cable wires for the motor were suffecient. UNLESS that mover on that 24 ft monster draws a lot of current. Should put an ammeter inline and check anyway, as that will determine the required transformer, diodes and relay specs.

One of my runs is over 300 ft. I used a 12 awg pair for the motor and an 18 awg pair for the sensor. It is an 8 ft fiberglass dish and I have no issues. Same with the 10 ft fiberglass dish at ~260 ft. I WISH my runs were only 140 ft.

One of my runs is over 300 ft. I used a 12 awg pair for the motor and an 18 awg pair for the sensor. It is an 8 ft fiberglass dish and I have no issues. Same with the 10 ft fiberglass dish at ~260 ft. I WISH my runs were only 140 ft.
Are your sensor 18 awg pair in shielded cable?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts