Long time Dish customer, but I'm confused!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Warren

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I used to have a pretty good handle on everything Dish, but it seems in the last couple years that things have changed so much that I no longer have a clue.

I've lurked here for years, but don't post much. I currently have a 622 in the front room and a 508 in the daughter's room (which might be dying!). I understand we're getting a price increase as of tomorrow (brilliant move in this economy), and from what I've found by searching around this site I pay a $7 fee for my 622 that new customer's don't? Perfect.
I've also been over Dish's site with a fine tooth comb and have learned that you cant' really learn anything there.

Anyway, I'm considering going with one of the All HD Turbo packages and upgrading the daughter's DVR with an HD one. Right now I've got the Top100 w/locals, the Bronze HD and the Platinum HD for a total of $71 and change with taxes. I'm pretty sure I can live with the Bronze or Silver Turbo HD package, but would I end up saving any money?

There is no receiver fee for the FIRST receiver. Your second, the 622 does. Does not matter if you are a new or old subscriber. Check the site tomorrow for new rates.

I used to have a pretty good handle on everything Dish, but it seems in the last couple years that things have changed so much that I no longer have a clue.

I've lurked here for years, but don't post much. I currently have a 622 in the front room and a 508 in the daughter's room (which might be dying!). I understand we're getting a price increase as of tomorrow (brilliant move in this economy), and from what I've found by searching around this site I pay a $7 fee for my 622 that new customer's don't? Perfect.
I've also been over Dish's site with a fine tooth comb and have learned that you cant' really learn anything there.

Anyway, I'm considering going with one of the All HD Turbo packages and upgrading the daughter's DVR with an HD one. Right now I've got the Top100 w/locals, the Bronze HD and the Platinum HD for a total of $71 and change with taxes. I'm pretty sure I can live with the Bronze or Silver Turbo HD package, but would I end up saving any money?

DDA Turbo Bronze is $39. DDA Turbo Silver is $49. Dish DVR Advantage (DDA) includes locals and the first DVR fee. The Platinum HD add-on is $10. The 211k is a single HDTV receiver that can be turned into a DVR by adding an external hard drive and paying a 0ne-time $39 enabling fee. It is not subject to a DVR fee even when used as such. You would pay a $7 monthly lease fee for the 211k. The totals are thus $56 and $66 for Turbo Bronze and Silver with the additional receiver and Platinum HD. Your current package is only going up $2.

The 211k is a single HDTV receiver that can be turned into a DVR by adding an external hard drive and paying a 0ne-time $39 enabling fee. It is not subject to a DVR fee even when used as such.

OP, keep in mind the external drive feature is not interchangeable between the 211 and the 622. You would need another 622/722 or 612 if you would want to use an EHD at multiple locations.

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't look like I'd save all that much by going that route, so I may just hold off for awhile.
Maybe I'll drop the HD Platinum part, since about all I care about in that is HDNet Movies.
Maybe someday they will actually have a decent all HD package for a reasonable price!

If your 508 is dying anyway, you could take it off of the account, then you could avoid the $7 fee on the 622. As long as you could get the TV2 output to the daughter's room, you'd be able to save a few bucks. That obviously doesn't get HD to your daughter and I'm presuming that you don't currently use the TV2 out of the 622(you didn't mention if you did). You save the $5.98 DVR fee on the 508 but it indirectly costs you the $7 fee on the 622 because you have more than 1 receiver. The $7 fee is waived on a single leased receiver. I saved $2 a month by having Dish make my 622 my primary unit but I can't get a phone line to my 508 so they jack me for $5/mo for that. I'm sure if I could get a phone line to my 508, they'd charge me $5/mo with another excuse. Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong with my advice.

Using the 622 for the daughter's room won't work, plus the girlfriend uses #2 in our bedroom. I could pick up another 508, but I think for now I'm in a wait and see mode.
Maybe I'll make a change when the new HD DVR from Dish is available.

Using the 622 for the daughter's room won't work, plus the girlfriend uses #2 in our bedroom. I could pick up another 508, but I think for now I'm in a wait and see mode.
Maybe I'll make a change when the new HD DVR from Dish is available.
You'll be waiting a while.

Yes, there is a $7 lease fee for old AND NEW customers. I have been told this MORE THAN ONCE! If you see it in black and white somewhere I would sure love to read it because Dish Network owes me some money if that is the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts