LongHornXP NEW HD on D Thread!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hell Raiser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Well,

Lets let LongHornXP use this thread to keep us updated on all the new HD content coming to DirecTV! He seems to be the only one here other then Scott with an inside scoop.

This way he will not have to respond to every thread in the forum.

Give me a nail and I will pound it in to FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!
:eek:

Well here is an update for you all. First of all it doesn't seem like TNT HD is going good right now but I could be shocked. I was told that Bravo HD wouldn't show up just like Scott was told but it did show up so maybe this will happen again.

I don't have any new information on what HD channels will be offered as of yet.

Also to answer some of the questions regard the 3 HD channels per transponder I must give you all the details first.

Now to start DirecTV is currently testing quite a few new HDTV channels as well as testing the NFL Sunday Ticket feeds thus needing to use all the bandwidth. Now that means that until the NFL is over they will be putting 3 HD channel per transonder. Now this also goes into the SpaceWay plans which I've been told will include space for 50 or so national HD channels along with about 500 HD local channels in ATSC formate.

This means that DirecTV will not use MPEG2 for local HD channels but will take the direct ATSC feed from the local stations and just transmit it unchanged to customers within that market. Each of the two SpaceWay satellites can offer either 150 or so national HD channels in MPEG2 format or about 750 or so HD local channels in ATSC format. They can also do both with one satellite. I've been told the plan is about 50 national HD channels in MPEG2 and 500 HD local channels in ATSC. Now the first satellite will be ready if everything goes well in June 2005 hopefully.

Now what this means is that DirecTV is giving away 6 months of the HD Package free for a very good reason as I've been told. They gave it away because they knew customer wanted more channels but for them to offer them they would have to reduce picture quality and as such they would not be able to go back to 2 HD channels per xponder until after the NFL regular season. So they think that if they offered many more channels for free to customers they might overlook the picture quality issues until after their free six months and at that time they would have many more channels and have picture quality back to normal and better. Now the bad picture quality will only be on Sundays for all other HD channels but the football HD channels and on every other day they will still have picture quality problems from extra compression but not nearly as bad as on Sundays.

But I'm telling you now that we will have to have an open mind but things will get better after football season and even more so after SpaceWay is ready and rolling.

Hope this all helps you out.

So basically everyone who has already been paying for the 4 basic channels of HD + whatever premo channels of HD,, have to continue paying full price while the picture quality degrades during football season...How nice. I'm assuming that the NFL HD showings on D* will be at a lesser video quality also because of the cramming. Is it possible they jumped the gun on that one? Money money money...I will be watching The bears play this weekend on Fox in HD for free, and I wonder how good the quality will be with OTA. In Chicago here, they broadcast in 720p.

I am sorry and please excuse me if I wasn't supposed to post in here, no one need reply to this, just my thoughts.

You missed the point. LonghornXP said that's one of the reasons why there's a 6 month HD pak free promo going. Didn't you get in on the deal? If not call Directv and ask about it.

No I didn't. When I subbed to HD there was no deal and I haven't checked into it recently. I will probably get the ole "for new subscribers only" routine, but I will call and find out. Thanks...

Nope, it's for existing subs too. I'm one to speak of.

What I was debunking of your post was you said that all of us who are "currently" paying for the 4 HD channels. A lot of us aren't since we're getting the 6 months free deal.

Just got off the phone with DirecTV and they told me that the offer was only good for people who were purchasing new equipment and existing customers were not eligible...Go figure. Sigh.

If you don't have luck playing CSR roulette use the online system. Turn off the HD package, save, turn it on. That's what I did and I've been a customer for a few years.

nytevizion said:
Just got off the phone with DirecTV and they told me that the offer was only good for people who were purchasing new equipment and existing customers were not eligible...Go figure. Sigh.

Just take off HD at the web site and re-add it.

nytevizion said:

Do yourself a favor, instead of calling go to your online account. You can unsubscribe to the HD pack and immeadiatlly re-subscribe, you will see that it says 6 months free.

I was able to call and get it myself on the first try, others have not been so lucky, but those that did not have success over the phone were able to get the deal this way. It is for everyone like said above, some CSRs just do not seem to know all of the deals going on.

Please do this and enjoy the 6 months free HD and the new channels that get added during this time, Bravo HD was the first of many to be added.

Edit: Did not realize two others had already mentioned the online route, must have been typing at the same time, but it does work.

Yes do it online by removing the package and when you go to add it again it will say promo or 0.00 promo or something like this. Also the the other HD channels might be very over compressed because DirecTV is making sure they provide full bandwidth for the NFL games. So the NFL games will be getting extra bandwidth because its a motion sport and this will hurt all the other HD channels for that period of time.

Thanks for the update...wait & see......

By the way, I went to D* website just now, accessed my account, dropped HD Package then went back & added it........$0.00/6 Months Free....
Thanks Guys..... ;)

Barney

Seawaves said:
XP,

Could you ask about HBOHD-W?

Thanks!

Sorry to say but west coast feeds aren't planned at least until both SpaceWay sats are launched but they will be added for those of you on the west coast. Now depending on how things move and what they plan you may see west coast feeds of all HD premium movie channels around mid summer of 2005 but I wouldn't count on it.

I havent heard anything about StarzHD...I wonder if they are going to add it. We shall see.

LonghornXP said:
Sorry to say but west coast feeds aren't planned at least until both SpaceWay sats are launched but they will be added for those of you on the west coast. Now depending on how things move and what they plan you may see west coast feeds of all HD premium movie channels around mid summer of 2005 but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks Bud, I do appreciate the info. By then the DVR prices may drop so it could be moot.

LonghornXP said:
This means that DirecTV will not use MPEG2 for local HD channels but will take the direct ATSC feed from the local stations and just transmit it unchanged to customers within that market. Each of the two SpaceWay satellites can offer either 150 or so national HD channels in MPEG2 format or about 750 or so HD local channels in ATSC format. They can also do both with one satellite. I've been told the plan is about 50 national HD channels in MPEG2 and 500 HD local channels in ATSC. Now the first satellite will be ready if everything goes well in June 2005 hopefully.

Hopefully this isn't a stupid questions, but does this mean that the HD Locals being passed eventually in ATSC will yield exact same quality as OTA? If not, what is the main diff between ATSC and MPEG2?

Status
Please reply by conversation.