Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
Quick question:
My settings for my dish is this: (zip code 38759)
90.7256 W
33.8373 N

Do I round off like:
90.7256 W = 91 W
33.8373 N = 34 N

Or this:
90 W
33 N

I always wonder about this, as far as getting the most accurate setting for my dish.
Thanks

Quick question:
My settings for my dish is this: (zip code 38759)
90.7256 W
33.8373 N

Do I round off like:
90.7256 W = 91 W
33.8373 N = 34 N

Or this:
90 W
33 N

I always wonder about this, as far as getting the most accurate setting for my dish.
Thanks

When rounding (in this case to a whole number), if the number to be rounded off, the number just past the decimal in this case, is 5 and the number just to the left of the decimal is ODD, then round the number UP. If the number just to the left of the decimal is EVEN, round it down (drop the fraction). Now, if the number to the right of the decimal is greater than 5, round UP, if less than 5, round DOWN (drop the fraction),

Examples: 5.5=6; 5.6=6; 5.4=5 6.5=6; 6.6=7; 6.4=6

The "round up" or "round down" rules for odd/even numbers aren't a big deal, just that in some cases, several numbers are being rounded then totalled. In these cases, the end result will be a little closer when a 5 is being rounded up or down. In the cases you stated, there are more numbers after the .5, this would make the rounding number greater than 5, so most all your 5's and above would be rounded up.

Hope this doesn't have me permanently confused....:eek:

Happy New Year:hungry:

I usually leave the 1st number after the decimal

so I'm at 44.7N 93.3W

USALS I'd put as brent said

For entering numbers into USALS settings, then all of the above is good advise. However relative to setting the motor angle on a polar mount, you should first add about 0.5-0.6 degrees to your latitude before rounding off, ie for use with the so called "modified" declination values.

Thanks to you all for your responses! I have learned a great lesson here.
I may set the values like what Brent said,(using USAL) but it depends a lot on my settings on the dish itself! Am I right on saying this?

All along I set my receivers just on 90 W and 33 N. with very good results. I had been wondering all along about using the other settings I mentioned, to get better results. I am planning to try this, but wanted your opinion on this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)