Longtime cable customer thinking about switching to DirecTV...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

thedogger

Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I have been using Brighthouse Cable for years, never had satellite TV before, for a while now I have been thinking about switching to DirecTV, but I am weary. Basically because of the 2 year commitment.

As for cable, I am getting tired of the lack of HD programming, and the new DVR menu is terrible, IMO. I have an HDTV atm and I want as much HD programming as I can get, especially speedHD.

Some questions I have about DirecTV:
1) What is the Dish that DirecTV will install?
2) Does reception go out often? During storms etc. like some people say.
3) How nice is the DVR menu? Is there a 30 second commercial skip similar to Dish networks? Does it tell you how much HD space is remaining?
4) What exactly is "Five LNB KA/KU Slim line dish" mean? Is that something I need?
5) Is the HR21 HD DVR the latest and greatest model? Is that what I will be getting?
6) Can I record 2 shows at once and watch something that is recorded at the same time?
7) Currently cable uses only one "cable" wire to the DVR. Is DirecTV the same, or will there be more wires installed?
8) We have 4 Tv's in the house, will each TV need a reciever, or is it like cable where you can just plug it in to the wall?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I just want to make 100% sure I undestand everything before I dive into this. Thank you all so much for your time, and I am really hoping to switch really soon! :)

I'm not the person to answer those questions, I'll just say getting D* was a great move for me. I've always had cable and wasn't sure about switching. I wish I had done it years ago. I had Brighthouse and was tired of not being able to have the opportunity to get the channels I wanted. I have 5 tv"s and like being able to get all programming on each of them. Here in FL signal loss has been rare, much less in my 5 months than cable outages. And the PQ is better than cable ever was. Take the plunge!

3) How nice is the DVR menu? Is there a 30 second commercial skip similar to Dish networks? Does it tell you how much HD space is remaining?
4) What exactly is "Five LNB KA/KU Slim line dish" mean? Is that something I need?
5) Is the HR21 HD DVR the latest and greatest model? Is that what I will be getting?
6) Can I record 2 shows at once and watch something that is recorded at the same time?
7) Currently cable uses only one "cable" wire to the DVR. Is DirecTV the same, or will there be more wires installed?
8) We have 4 Tv's in the house, will each TV need a reciever, or is it like cable where you can just plug it in to the wall?

1) They will install the Slimline dish.
2) I rarely have any issues with loss of signal.
3) The only part of the DVR that is a problem is it can be a little slugish while in the guide. It is getting better with the newer software.
4) If you want HD you will get the slimline. Here is what it looks like.
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/DirecTV/Dish/AH9-SlimLine.jpg
5) Yes, the HR21 is the latest and greatest.
6) Yes
7) Depends on where you are located. Directv is currently starting a roll out of a single wire solution.
8) Each one will need a receiver. If they are just standard SD receivers Directv will give them to you for not costs. You will just need to pay the $4.99 lease mirror fee.

Hope this helps.

To add to question 3. You can have your HR-21 to have 30 second skip or slip.

thank you for the info i am not sure what the slip means, what is that is it like a fast forward to skip commercials?
thanks again for all the help

I have been using Brighthouse Cable for years, never had satellite TV before, for a while now I have been thinking about switching to DirecTV, but I am weary. Basically because of the 2 year commitment.

As for cable, I am getting tired of the lack of HD programming, and the new DVR menu is terrible, IMO. I have an HDTV atm and I want as much HD programming as I can get, especially speedHD.

I'm sorry for all the questions, I just want to make 100% sure I undestand everything before I dive into this. Thank you all so much for your time, and I am really hoping to switch really soon! :)

I've had both DIRECT & DISH. The DISH DVR is MUCH better:up

I've had both DIRECT & DISH. The DISH DVR is MUCH better:up

I have had both also and they both have their pro's and con's. In my opinion you should just pick the service based on the programming as both DVR's are good.

I agree with JAG72. I had Dish for over 10 years. Both DVR's are good and though I give the edge to Dish on that one count, I give DTV the edge in PQ, content and (living in the PNW) signal stability. Plus they seem to have a clear plan, I never felt that way with Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)