Looking at getting my first FTA setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sixty Gigs is fine. I actually have a WD 60gb 2.5" USB drive, too.
It's powered from the USB port, so if I pull it off and take it to my laptop, it gets power where ever it's installed.
No need for an external power supply.

Keep an eye peeled, 500gb external USB drives go on sale from time to time in the $89..$99 range.
... and every month they get bigger and cheaper.
I know the receiver will support 500gb, but don't think it'll handle a larger one.

YEP, USB powered- that was the big thing. And it's easy to trasfer the drive to the PC to put your shows on DVD.
The visionsat will take up to a 500gb, but that is overkill. According to Iceberg, 2gb gave him 1 hour record time.

The major ones are AMC6 (72), Horizons2 (74), AMC5 (79), and G11 (91). Most other satellites also have feeds (some more than others).

Thanks Keith. I was looking at another list and noticed it says FEEDS in the channels list of these birds. I appreciate your help.

I can't wait for my system to get here.

Last edited:
I should be able to catch a lot of the football games with all the locals on 10R- am I right?

My system came in today, but thanks to 55mph wind gusts, I didn't even attempt to install it. I haven't even opened it.

I am undecided between 2 different locations for the dish, but there is a deciding factor. How far east/west does the dish turn? Does it need clearance for a full 180 sweep?

Looks like thursday will be my day-o-fun with it.

Fox News and those other 'cable' channels on AMC4 are scrambled , sometimes you can get one channel or another for a day or two, possibly when a cable system has problems. I get audio on them all the time but no video. PowerVu encryption, I believe.

There are 4 channels in the Hotel Networks mux that have been in the clear for several days now. There are 2 Fox News, 1 AC3, 1 standard audio. I'm not sure what the other one is, but, it is the same way 1 AC3, 1 normal audio. Not sure how long these will last, but, I figure it won't be too long!

is there a good ac3 adapter available?

I run my two receivers thru theater surround systems. Ice seems to be the authority on AC3. They might have stand alone decoders but, I don't know of any.

I think there are a couple of FTA boxes that have built-in AC3 decoders, but, I don't know which ones.

If you have a surround like I do, you can usually use either optical cable or an RCA type cable for the AC3 input into the surround.

i have a surround sound available, but would like to avoid using it (for now anyway) if possible.

sure will. would still like to know on the motorized setup-

How far east/west does the dish turn? Does it need clearance for a full 180 sweep?

is there a good ac3 adapter available?

The cheapest way to go is a set of headphones that decode the AC-3 .
Heres a link http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/122372-digital-audio-ac-3-a.html

There is also the Creative labs Xtigy external sound device ( which I picked up for $40 on ebay ) which works well, using a pair of PC powered speakers. The Xtigy is reviewed in the review section .

Seems like all the HD receivers decode AC-3, but that's overkill just for the sound.

A couple options, anyway.

:)

Brent

motor tracks 80 each way. I am going to to have to mount it on top of my house. DOH!

yep, but the motor had a lot of slop in it, so I had to send it back. I am setup stationary right now on 10r and it is working great. still getting a feel for it.

just to give an update, SatelliteAV RULEZ!! They refunded me the difference for the motor and the cost of shipping it back!

I just ordered another GeoSatpro dish from them since I have given up on a motorized system for now. The main birds I want are 10r and amc4 anyway. I am getting an old fortec 31" from a friend that I will use for "feeds".

Again, PROPS to SatelliteAV !!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)