Looking for a 4DTV Reciver - CHEAP

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How much free stuff is there these days?May wanna get one also lol

KU...not much
Oklahoma PBS is about it

C-Band...depends
There are free channels and then there are "free" channels

Free channels are FTA channels...any 4DTV can get them..Audio channels on W5 105W are FTA
"free" channels are FTA as long as you sub to SOMETHING...there are some Free channels on 91W that you need to subscribe to something to get

Tony, can your 6ft dish grab a good DCII signal?

Preferably one that can be used to subscribe.

I am looking at the "All American Pack" from Satellite Programming Service.

Tony, can your 6ft dish grab a good DCII signal?

on most satellites yes

Some of the "old school" satellites over near 131-135 area (G15, AMC10, AMC11) there is lower numbers for signal and I couldnt get HBO if I wanted (not enough to keep it stable)

W5 (105W) I've had around a +8.0 ebno which is more than enough to subscribe to the W5 stuff

on most satellites yes

Some of the "old school" satellites over near 131-135 area (G15, AMC10, AMC11) there is lower numbers for signal and I couldnt get HBO if I wanted (not enough to keep it stable)

Those are the best birds since they contain most of the master DC2 feeds. Im showing a 10.2 EBNO on HBO on G1 right now on my tiny 3.8 meter dish.

W5 (105W) I've had around a +8.0 ebno which is more than enough to subscribe to the W5 stuff
Hope I can pull that out of W5 when I peak that 6 footer tomorrow. I just played with my actuator on W5 & knocked the quality down to 49 then looked at EBNO it said +4.0 and was still solid. I think I'll take my 99Q and 13.0-14.0 EBNO my dish gets though. Wonder how well a +4.0 EBNO would hold up in the rain on C band? W5 must really be hot... it took a lot of clicks on the actuator to get it to start going down in quality here.

Last edited:
The 6' is better than I would have thought. There nothing I know of that I can't get now that I switched to a feedhorn and a decent lnb instead of the BSC621, picked up between 6- 10 points. Even the HBO's on G15 are at around 47-48 quality (I don't have them subbed so don't know if I would get any pixelation) and I have not done the string test on it yet. W5 I have close to 80 quality on most channels, G3 some are getting toward the mid 80's.
TVpro you won't have any problems with W5 on a 6' Fortec.

Hope I can pull that out of W5 when I peak that 6 footer tomorrow. I just played with my actuator on W5 & knocked the quality down to 49 then looked at EBNO it said +4.0 and was still solid. I think I'll take my 99Q and 13.0-14.0 EBNO my dish gets though. Wonder how well a +4.0 EBNO would hold up in the rain on C band? W5 must really be hot... it took a lot of clicks on the actuator to get it to start going down in quality here.

I found the original trial with W5 & the 6 footer

well I tried it today with the 6 footer.

had to pull out the analog box to tune in Classic Arts then hooked up the 905 and tuned to Starz

3.6 on Ebno but in 5 minutes I had W5

Ghetto moved dish to AMC1 and locked in TLN on the Pansat. Then moved dish west until signal gone and hooked up 905. Ebno was at 3.5 but tweaked on audio to 8.0

Most channels between +7.2 & 8.0

So on a 6 footer solid dish that isn't bad. Most other channels on 4DTV with the 6 footer are around the 4.5 to 5.5

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1255868-post27.html

and a post that was funny (original date 3/3//08) from someone ;)
Good to know W5 works well with a 6 foot. I know someone that is interested in doing a 6 foot for the HITS stuff in a couple months. I will give him the report.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1257511-post29.html

guess it took him a little longer than a couple months :D

I found the original trial with W5 & the 6 footer

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1255868-post27.html

and a post that was funny (original date 3/3//08) from someone ;)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1257511-post29.html

guess it took him a little longer than a couple months :D

We would have put up a movable 6 foot last year about this time on the ground but his wife vetoed where I wanted to put it. I guess it took another year to convince her to go with a fixed system on the roof. Tree's aren't obstacles when it comes to satellite dishes.... wives are :D

hee hee :)
I just happened to search the old thread and when I saw your post I had a good laugh after seeing the date. I thought it was "only a few months ago"

time flies I guess....

hee hee :)
I just happened to search the old thread and when I saw your post I had a good laugh after seeing the date. I thought it was "only a few months ago"

time flies I guess....

The story goes like this Ice. One of my clients has been ticked at the high price of cable and there increases for a few years. I showed him my satellite system what I could get and payed for programming. This is about the time HITS became available on ku G-16 with a 410. The original plans were to put up a system for HITS ku for him. Well than HITS pulled the plug on ku and it took a while to convince him to go with a bigger c band dish. He always saw my 12 footer and said that things too big. (I think it's too small) Anyway I had him sold on a 4D system last year with a 6 foot on a polar mount till his wifey vetoed it. Well when Comcast put a $30 a month increase in his bill in Dec of last year that broke the camels back and we came up with this plan. I don't know what he had to do to get the wife to agree but he got it done. :up

Its a nice day here and plans are for this afternoon to finish the install so by tonight he should be watching tv from C band if everything goes as planed.
Maybe later he will upgrade to a polar mount and find out whats really out there. :)

Yeah that's true. They were on X4 at the time. That would have been a heckuva setup still...kinda wish it was still on X4 ;)

on most satellites yes

I hate to sound like a dummy, but what is ebno? :confused:
I have a 4DTV 920 receiver.
And, how do I get FTA on these receiver?
All I watch is some channels on GB, and sometimes watch the Hallmark somewhere out there.

Yeah that's true. They were on X4 at the time. That would have been a heckuva setup still...kinda wish it was still on X4 ;)

I put my 90cm Primestar in just for X4. I use to get 99Q on that thing. After they moved HITS to W5 that dish became an orphan (didn't know what to point it at). Now its home to RTN on AMC -9 and is happy dish again.

The easiest way to explain is on a Motorola unit the ebno # would be kinda like the "quality" meter on a DVB setup

On most units its options 6-0-5 then right arrow to diagnostic C...see attached picture below

The higher the ebno, the less amount of rain fade you have. In most cases these are the "guidelines"
+3.5 to have a signal
+3.5 to +5.0 to keep a stable picture...rain fade very possible
+5.0 to +6.0 nice solid picture but rain fade is possible
+6.0 to +8.0 strong signal
+8.0 to +10.0 really strong picture
+10.0 and above....highly unlikely the signal would ever go out :)

Now I'm using the KU side of that with Starchoice. On my Primestar dish I have +10.0 and above on all Starchoice channels so I need a very bad rainfall or super duper heavy clouds to have the signal go out..
C-Band would be different. The HBO mux at 7/8 FEC would need alot higher ebno than the regular 3/4 FEC stuff that is on most 4DTV channels

Attachments

• 100_0233.jpg
    100_0233.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 231
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)