Looking for a better analog reciever / BUD positioner

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
howdy all,
Ive been using my BUD for about 2 weeks now and love it. what i dont love is my drake 1724 analog reciever. I am using the drake mainly to position my BUD, and to see what analog stuff i can find, but i am having some problems with it.

If satellites are too close together, say at 93 and 95, it has a hard time saving sat positions. I can save the position for 95, then motor over to 93 and save it, but when i actually tell the dish to move from say 111 to 93, what happens is that the dish ends up on 95 instead. This happens every time the sats are within 2 degrees of each other. Very irritating. i end up with pairs of sats (93-95, 97-99, 101-103) in the same positions and have to "nudge" the dish east/ west to get in one of the sats. grrrrrrrr

The other problem i have with my drake 1724 is there is no way (that i have found) to enter in analog tp frequencies manually. There are channel settings that can be set, but in that area there is not a way to enter a TP frequency, just polarity, skew, and audio freq. This is also very irritating.

Soooooo what do you folks recommend for a good BUD positioner / analog reciever? or should i just get a DVB receiver with capability of running a motor (pansat 2500a comes to mind as it can control a polarotor) and a BUD positioner such as the Vbox? Ive also thought of getting a 4dtv reciever such as the 920 and just slave my current satworks 3618 to that. Too many choices.......

drhydro said:
howdy all,
Ive been using my BUD for about 2 weeks now and love it. what i dont love is my drake 1724 analog reciever. I am using the drake mainly to position my BUD, and to see what analog stuff i can find, but i am having some problems with it.

If satellites are too close together, say at 93 and 95, it has a hard time saving sat positions. I can save the position for 95, then motor over to 93 and save it, but when i actually tell the dish to move from say 111 to 93, what happens is that the dish ends up on 95 instead. This happens every time the sats are within 2 degrees of each other. Very irritating. i end up with pairs of sats (93-95, 97-99, 101-103) in the same positions and have to "nudge" the dish east/ west to get in one of the sats. grrrrrrrr

The other problem i have with my drake 1724 is there is no way (that i have found) to enter in analog tp frequencies manually. There are channel settings that can be set, but in that area there is not a way to enter a TP frequency, just polarity, skew, and audio freq. This is also very irritating.

Soooooo what do you folks recommend for a good BUD positioner / analog reciever? or should i just get a DVB receiver with capability of running a motor (pansat 2500a comes to mind as it can control a polarotor) and a BUD positioner such as the Vbox? Ive also thought of getting a 4dtv reciever such as the 920 and just slave my current satworks 3618 to that. Too many choices.......

I love my Chaparral Monterey 95, it allows you to manually enter TP frequencies with the key pad on the remote.

I have a Toshiba trx-1420 and that allows you to enter manual frequencies. Ive never run a C-band off of it, but its one mean KU machine :)

drhydro said:
howdy all,

Many C-band boxes have a problem of not landing dead on. not a prob for c-band but a pain for ku, just bump it though, not sure about the drake but the 4d is easy to bump and will save the setting auto. If you have a big dish without 4dtv its like having a car without wheels, get a 4d you will love it.

NPS is having a sale, or www.skyvision.com get a 922 unless you find a real cheap 920 on ebay I find the 922 better. I have had both.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)