Looking for a Blu-Ray Player

Get the PS3, best BD player money can buy, and it offers Profile 2.0.
The PS3 gets firmware updates are an A+ since they are one of the first ones to get when updates are available.

I have the 1400. I like the fact that it will internaly decode or bitstream the advanced audio formats. I have an older reciever and take advantage of the analog 5.1 outs that the 1400 provides. I don't like that it isn't profile 1.1 or 2.0. I'll probably replace it later this year with the new panasonic 50. I would wait if I were you. That pricce seem a little high. I paid $280 last december for my 1400.

Hehe. Well, its still a good price(compared to some of the new units coming) but I see what you are saying. I find it funny they held it up to make it 2.0 but left this out, maybe its because the rcvr's are getting cheap. I just picked up the 605 for less than $300.

Last edited:
The new sammy does not internly decode (I can hear nonrev already!), it only bitstreams. :(
I won't hit so hard this time, but if it doesn't internally decode I can't understand why simple things like that are left out. Does it cost that much to add? Every Toshiba from day one had it. Little things like that could make or break a sale if the customer doesn't have the newest AVR equipment.

I won't hit so hard this time, but if it doesn't internally decode I can't understand why simple things like that are left out. Does it cost that much to add? Every Toshiba from day one had it. Little things like that could make or break a sale if the customer doesn't have the newest AVR equipment.

There are plenty of folks who are just now getting into the HD game buying a HDTV and/or building their home theater setup. When they go looking at new receivers - the newer models are now decoding the newer audio codecs. That said, I think that the BDA needs to start pushing a definitive format. What I mean by that is that the BDA needs to state what the minimum requirement for a BD player must be. I think that the 1.1 format should be in stone right now since the BDA stated that after Oct 31, 2007 evry bd player sold would be 1.1 compliant. I don't believe that they have done that yet.

As for 2.0, I can see the ethernet port for downloads of firmware and also additonal features for the disc but turning the player into a settop is not my idea of where I want the product to go -- and yes I know that there are those of you who want this feature and therefore want a 2.0 player.

I like the idea of a player that just passes the bitstream for a simple reason, the AVR will always do a better job of decoding and enhancing the sound then the player just as the player will always do a better job of decoding the video then the tv or an enhanced AVR. So why can not the manufacturer make one model for those of us who only need the bitstream and one model for those of you who need internal decoding and analog out for your older receivers? What is wrong with that?

I think that the 1.1 format should be in stone right now since the BDA stated that after Oct 31, 2007 evry bd player sold would be 1.1 compliant. I don't believe that they have done that yet.QUOTE]

Introduced and manufactured after Oct. 07 not sold.

S~

Thanks guys for all your help...we ended up going with the PS3! It seemed to be the best value for the money. I was able to find a brand new one for less than $350!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts