Looking for a Cutting Edge "Chat"

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Looking for a good time on a Friday night? Join us in the CE Chat Room each Friday night at 11pm.

They feature everything from friendly DirecTV conversation to the latest updates on the status of CE releases as well as any cancellations.

No registration is required, anyone is welcome.

cechat.satelliteguys.us

The chat gets very busy, so it is asked that "general chat" be limited the first 30 minutes so everyone can see the updates from the moderators.
Also, please avoid posting download percentages.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DBSTalk chat does not work "out of the box" with Windows Vista. You will need to apply the following fix to use the Chat site if you are on Windows Vista.
---
I found the solution which I have tailored for our site below:

I have used this and for the FIRST TIME, I can see the Chat Room from my Vista Computer.

SYMPTOMS:
========
If, when loading the chat room, the blue loading bar appears for a very long time, and the chat room applet never comes up, the following may help you to immediately resolve the problem. This problem is also associated with very slow page loading using Firefox, and slow eMail sending/retrieval using Thunderbird.

The following solution applies to Windows Vista users only.

SOLUTION:
========
The Windows Vista TCP Stack has been re-written. The following solution appears to correct many internet-related issues with Windows Vista, and seems to resolve the problem. There should be no negative effects from performing the following; but we have provided you with instructions for undoing this should you feel it necessary.

Part I: Disable TCP Autotuning
--------------------------------------
1. Click the Start (Windows Logo) icon
2. Select 'All Programs'
3. Select 'Accessories'
4. Right-Click on 'Command Prompt'
5. Click 'Run as Administrator'
6. A dialog box will ask you to confirm. Click the 'Continue' button to proceed.
7. Type: netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
8. Press 'Enter'
9. The message 'Ok.' should appear.
10. Type: exit

Part II: Empty your Java Cache
11. Visit DBSTalk.Com -
12. The Java icon will appear in your task icon list in the lower-right hand corner of your screen
13. Right-click the Java (coffee-cup) icon and select 'Open Control Panel'
14. Under 'Temporary Internet Files', click 'Settings'
15. Click the 'Delete Files...' button
16. A window titled 'Delete Temporary Files' will appear. Make sure all options are checked and click 'OK'
17. Click 'OK' to exit the 'Temporary File Settings' window.
18. Click 'OK' to exit the Java Control Panel

Part III: Empty your browser's cache
11. Clear your browser's cache.
12. Shut down all instances of your web browser.

That's all. You may now try to load the chat applet.

This issue is likely to work itself out in the near future as future updates of Windows Vista and Java are released to the public -- once these updates have been released, your users will not be required to go through the above procedure.

How to Un-do the above steps
============================
If, for any reason at all, you need to undo the above procedure, follow these steps:
1. Click the Start (Windows Logo) icon
2. Select 'All Programs'
3. Select 'Accessories'
4. Right-Click on 'Command Prompt'
5. Click 'Run as Administrator'
6. A dialog box will ask you to confirm. Click the 'Continue' button to proceed.
7. Type: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
8. Press 'Enter'
9. The message 'Ok.' should appear.
10. Type: exit

Jason, i know i maybe new here. but maybe you should add besides the 1/2 rule. note that if anyone is having download issue's please double click the "Quiet Room" for one on one assistance that we provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the chat has grown in popularity, it occasionally slows down quite a bit. The last few weeks have been better than some of the previous ones, so possibly the server has been tweaked.

The chat went well. I hope every one got the help and info they need to make their experance the best.

Some of the staff were in both chat rooms last week, it's open...:)

I've been there from time to time, for some reason, I have a herd time keeping up in chat rooms , it moves very quickly and have many different conversations going on at the same time.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts