Looking for a decent signal meter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TRG

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
I’m getting tired of hauling a TV and receiver up on the roof for signal tweaks. Can anyone recommend a decent meter in the $200 price range?

There was a thread a while back about a signal meter that had a built in TV screen. How much does something like that go for?

Thanks.

EDIT - Do any of the satellite meters on the market have signal and quality indicators?

Last edited:

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
Birddog is the standard BUT it like $350-$400

I’m getting tired of hauling a TV and receiver up on the roof for signal tweaks. Can anyone recommend a decent meter in the $200 price range?

There was a thread a while back about a signal meter that had a built in TV screen. How much does something like that go for?

Thanks.

EDIT - Do any of the satellite meters on the market have signal and quality indicators?

updatelee

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 22, 2006
CFB Edmonton
Ive got a birdog v2.50 and im not impressed, as well all know truefta moves around, and every time this happens the firmware needs to be updated, and of course this doesnt happen same day, so there is a lag.

its really anoying, even when it is updated, half the time only one polarity will work and the other doesnt.

I found myself double checking the birddog on my motor every single time before I went to a customers house, just to be sure it would still work for aiming.

Ive still got it sitting here collecting dust as I bought a satlook NIT spectrum analyzer and love it, works 100% and never need to "update" it.

satlook NIT is more then double the price though :(

CryptKeeper

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 23, 2007
Try the SatHawk 400. Cheaper ( a little ) than the Bird Dog but a better meter. Or the Trimex Meter with a built in TV receiver. More expensive than the Bird Dog and SatHawk 4000 but definately a nice meter.

Jan 10, 2007
Check out the SuperBuddy. Its an all around better meter. Very versatile.
and weighs only 3.4 lbs compared to the 11 pound square chunk SATLook NIT. This will be hanging on your neck or in your hands for sometime to come. Make sure its gonna be comfortable. Ive used Birdogs for years they work very well are light and reasonbly priced for a meter that tells you your locked on to a particular satellite. The SuperBuddy is much better ,sturdier, and more versatile. It is worth every penny and will repay you in no time.
Although it is not a 200 dollar meter

Good Luck

http://www.appliedin.com/signallevelmeters/superbuddy.pdf

Sadoun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 27, 2005
Columbus, OHIO
A decent meter with (satellite ID, Signal/Quality Bars, etc.) for around $200 is not available.

I have a couple of demo meters (basically brand new), that I can let go for around $200 plus shipping. These meters will identify the satellite and have what you want. We chose not to sell them on our website because I find them not user friendly and difficult to work with.

These two meters are selling in the Market between $400-600.

So, if you are interested, let me know and I will email you somemore information about these two units I have.

Some of the mainstream meters that I would recommend to a professional installer would be the following:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)