Looking for a programmable keyboard USB device.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I have a very old PS2 keyboard that is about worn out but they don't make these anymore. It is a Focus KB with built in calculator that can send the display to an entry e.g. 2 x 4 = 8 send places the answer into your application at the curser.
But this is not the main feature I really like. It has 12 function keys that are completely programmable for text strings. I have various text strings programmed into the keys such as PF1 is my street address. PF2 is my e-mail address, PF3 is my phone number, PF4 is a Credit card number. It is so nice and efficient to hit one key and spell out the text string of choice. The keyboard has 12 programmable text string keys. It also has a Date and Time stamp you can hit send and it will insert the date or time into the document. It also has a Credit card reader.

Most programmable keyboards I have tried out will only allow you to launch some software. It is just as easy to click on an icon on your desktop so that feature is useless.

I wanted a replacement Focus keyboard I even contacted the company 2 years ago and they said they no longer make these programmable keyboards. They said that it would be just as easy to do as the originals using USB but they determined there'd be no interest. I think I was just being blown off.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the tips.

I've tried the Logitec game KB's before and they don't quite work for what I need.

I like this new approach and may give it a try and then be able to add that to a more traditional keyboard.

X-keys Programmable Key Stick.

I like the PS2 as they don't require any software or drivers. 100% hardware function and programmable. Loop through PS2 connection.

Check out AutoHotKey. I believe it will do everything your old keyboard did and much more.

Free and hardware independent.

AutoHotkey is a free, open-source utility for Windows. With it, you can:

* Automate almost anything by sending keystrokes and mouse clicks. You can write a mouse or keyboard macro by hand or use the macro recorder.
* Create hotkeys for keyboard, joystick, and mouse. Virtually any key, button, or combination can become a hotkey.
* Expand abbreviations as you type them. For example, typing "btw" can automatically produce "by the way".
* Create custom data-entry forms, user interfaces, and menu bars. See GUI for details.
* Remap keys and buttons on your keyboard, joystick, and mouse.
* Respond to signals from hand-held remote controls via the WinLIRC client script.
* Run existing AutoIt v2 scripts and enhance them with new capabilities.
* Convert any script into an EXE file that can be run on computers that don't have AutoHotkey installed.

AutoHotkey - Free Mouse and Keyboard Macro Program with Hotkeys and AutoText

Anyone have any ideas?

Genovation.com have several keypads that fit the bill. The 683 is available in both USB and PS/2 (it does both) and it will store the strings for you. It is driver-less so you can move it from one machine to another after you program it (this is true of both PS/2 and USB modes) and thus it will work on any OS.

If you have an RS232 port then the 623 will do the strings as well as the calculator function for you.

GB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts