Looking for an OTA tuner....

havenx

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
I’m looking for an OTA tuner with component and digital audio out. So far the best I could find was the channel master with s-vid out. It would be nice to have one with component, digital audio out, s-vid, and composite.

Basically I’ve got a standard def TV that looks great (real deep tube) that has component, s-vid, and composite inputs. My stereo receiver does digital audio. I’d like to utilize the component ins on the TV with a nice OTA receiver, and the digital audio on my receiver.

Any suggestions?

Digital converter boxes to qualify for the $40 coupon couldn't have component and digital outputs. A few did have "S" video outs but only analog audio.

DISH DTV PAL DVR may be pricey at $250 but it has HDTV outputs and dual tuners and a hard drive for recording so it is a bargin and may be what you need.

Be careful, SD TV's (primarily Toshiba) with component inputs often are ColorStream component inputs and are not compatible with RGB component.

I would test it with a DVD player with component outputs to see if it will work or check the TV's manual.

Search ebay for tuners like the one in my signature and others like hi-sense and samsung...The LG's are nice...See if you can find a 3410 LG also which is nice but with out the DVD player like my 3510a has...

Yea, my TV is a Sansui. I'm not sure of the model, but it works great with component ins. I've had several different DVD players and such on it.

Search ebay for tuners like the one in my signature and others like hi-sense and samsung...The LG's are nice...See if you can find a 3410 LG also which is nice but with out the DVD player like my 3510a has...

What price range are we looking at for this device?

I also saw in reviews that it misses a lot of channels, but sometimes finds them later. Is this an antenna prob?

I'm new to HD OTA.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the guy in the review had a messed up antenna or something.

Hisense DB-2010 looks like a good buy but look deeper. The box only has an on/off switch you can't do anything without the remote control. It is not supported in this country. It has probably been 3-5 years since any new units have been imported. Most were imported by Walmart or by USDTV a corporation that tried to use surplus digital subchannels to provide an OTA cable service. They went bankrupt and DB-2010 became surplus.When they work they are good but any problem means throw it away or sell it on eBay.

Yea, I noticed that. So far I'm kind of looking at the LG 3410. And if I can't find one I can afford I guess I'm going after the CM 7000 or something; unless anyone has a better idea. I've looked all over ebay, and those are pretty much the only ones I can find that I like so far. It's also nice that they are both 16 or 17 inchish, therefore they will fit my stack well. Right now the only odd ball sized component I have is my pansat 2700a.

The 3510a is alot less expensive and is no slouch...Getting harder and harder to find a ATSC STB that actually outputs HD and 5.1 surround...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/LG-LST-3510A-Receiver-Hi-Format-Player/dp/B00015GYT0"]Amazon.com: LG LST-3510A HDTV Receiver / Hi-Format DVD Player: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31P1B31K1ML.@@AMEPARAM@@31P1B31K1ML[/ame]

The CM 7000 has neither...Seriously...if you have a HDTV you want a tuner that outputs HD...Anything less is just a compromise...

Is the only difference between the LG LST 3100 and 4200a analog reception?
From the reports I've read today, yes the analog tuner is the only difference...However there is talk the 4200a has a 4th gen chip and the 3100 is a 3rd gen...I just saw all those for sale today too and will pick one up myself...I was going to comehere and report to you but it seems you found them also...;)

Regardless it has the same tuner chip as my 3510 so I am pleased with its performance...

From what I've seen the LST-3100A, LST-3410A, LST-3510A, LST-3200A, and LST-4200A all use 4th gen ATSC tuner.

Here is a review I found on this box...Not bad for the money it sounds like but I want something reliable:
Here's a short review of my bargain EZNeo TD-100 HDTV Converter Box ATSC Tunner. I decided to just connect it straight to my Pioneer Elite PRO-730HDI TV HDMI input using the DVI output. I already had a DVI to HDMI cable so that's what I used. Set up was straight forward. Only hic-up was that I had to change the "DVI Out" setting to "RGB." The set up gide was not clear on that requirement. Before hand, the colors were all off but I did have a picture. The menus were easy to use and commands from the remote are responsive. Only item of concern is that the tuner is not quite as strong as others I have in the house. It hasn't been able to consistently pull in my local PBS station. The EPG was nice, showing 4-5 hours of programing without having to scroll. Last but not least the HD picture looks great so all is well. Not a bad deal for $28.

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer.
Recommendations for a HD ATSC Tuner? - SoundAndVision Magazine Forums

At the time of the retail availability of the LG units they were considered the best units available for purchase...And for the price they can be found for I think they represent the best value...Also after having owned & used the 3510a for the past couple of years I can report that reliability has never been an issue...Excellent build quality...I think I paid $100 shipped for it...Easily worth every penny...

I have had a Choice Select HD converter box for over 3 years, now. In regards to menus and EPG, it is not as responsive or intuitive as the DTVPal (non-hd), but it does better than any other converter box that I've tried or installed. As far as picture goes, the SD is bangin' and the HD is sweet! (and it has composite and component out.)

Choice Select - HDTV Tuners

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts