Looking for an OTA tuner....

Never heard of it before...Of course that really doesn't mean anything ;)...Thats alot of cash for a tuner in my opinion...I love the EPG of my LG unit...Still don't have my 3100a yet so can't compare...I would think them to be the same but I did notice in my research to compare the 3100 & the 3510 that the 3100 does have some things different in the menu/options screens...Does it have DVI or HDMI out oris it limited to component???

Component only. BTW, I wouldn't pay that price either. I think they're still available for about $100 less than that maybe at Skywalker Communications. This EPG is better than all the converter boxes that I've tried, except the DTVPal.

No Dolby Digital out either though from what I just read; analog only...That would be the deal breaker for me...I paid $33 shipped for my LG with DVI and optical & coaxial digital out as well as component composite 'S' video and analog audio out...Great tuner on these...I am hard pressed to find anyone who tried one to say there is a better HD STB out there...Any screen shots of the EPG for comparison purposes??? Here is mine...The onthing I don't like is that the EPG empties each time the unit is shut down and it won't 'search' for the channel listings on its own...Once the channel is tuned in it gets all the info...An example is in my photo...CH14 has no information because I have not turned to that channel today...Also when clicked on the program description is overlayed on top of the channel guide...

Attachments

• LG 3510a EPG screenshot.jpg
    LG 3510a EPG screenshot.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 119
Sorry. I don't have any screenshots. Do you just take a pic with your phone, send, save and then publish, or does it take more than that?

Anyway, that EPG looks better than Choice Selects, already!

Last edited:
Yes just take a picture and downloaded to my computer then when replying here click on manage attachments and double click the picture click upload and VOILA! Alot easier than it sounds...

Anyway yes these LG units are the best I can find to date...I really do enjoy mine...Very stable and fits in with my equipment rack...Except the silver face...I painted the rest black but the face isn't as easily done...

Attachments

• Home Theater Equipment 006.jpg
    Home Theater Equipment 006.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 121
Well I got my ebay tuner today...Seems it is not the LST 3100a as I was led to believe when I bid on it...I was sent the superior Lst-4200a...:D

Might just be placebo but the tuner does seem more sensitive tho the signal meter shows LESS strength than my 3510a shows...:eek:

For example it has nicer features like being able to delete sub channels I don't care about while retaining the main channel and subsequent sub channels...:cool:

All in all a good deal I think...:)

The "superior" comment I made is only de to the fact that at the time this box was made a NTSC tuner was incororated for analog channels...Personally I don't care if it does or doesn't have it tho since I only use it for the ATSC...

It is said the 3510a and the 4200a use the same ATSC chip...I really can't tell any serious differences past what I already said about the signal strength meter...I have a couple of channels that according to the 3510a meter comes in rather strongly this 4200a shows a maximum of 50%...I find that to be incorrect since I wouldn't get the stability I do at 50%...However The new level is the new base level I work with so really no foul no error...

The PQ is the same with the exception tha 4:3 programming is the closest to real 4:3 ratio that I have seen compared to the 3510a which had the picture a couple of hairs wider but did not distort the picture at all...Going to take a little getting used to but that is a minor complaint that really shouldn't register at all...

I guess my main complaint is the size of the 4200a...To most the small size is ideal but I have my equipment stacked... The 4200a now resides on top of my equipment and THAT is the hardest thing to accept because there really is no other location for it...On the contrary the 3510a is the standard size and fit perfectly in the group without looking out of place past the silver face...

I am going to keep using it as the pros far outweigh the cons in my opinion...I am considering placing my 3510a for sale and will decide this weekend probably...

I can confidently recommend the LG LST-4200a as an excellent tuner...at very least just as good as my 3510a tuner...But the 3510a has the upconverting DVD player built in and it works/looks outstanding...At least as good as my Toshiba A3 HD DVD player looks at upconversion...PM me if you are interested and I'll shoot you the price...

Well I am going back to the 3510a...The straw that broke the camels back is that if the 4200A is off over night when first turned on there is nothing but colored blocks that fill the TV screen...Once the 4200a power is cycled the picture is fine but that is unacceptable combined with the size of the unit being out of place with the rest of the equipment, tho I did paint the case black so it does look nice...ALOT nicer than the stock silver.

I don't think (tho I did not try) the block issue will happen if I used component cables but that isn't what I want to do...The 3510a turns on picture beautiful and fits in the rack and even my wife likes it better this way...

So it looks like it will be the 4200a that is either to be resold or delegated as a backup/second TV unit...If I sell it it will be for what I have in it and that is $33 + shipping...And it comes in a much classier looking color scheme with a silver face and a black body.

Got my EZ Neo TR-100 yesterday, first impression is it is easily worth the $37.99 I paid with shipping. This is not a converter box it is a full HDTV receiver. I suspect it is old inventory due to component and DVI output combined with an ATSC tuner that is not super sensitive. The tuner is as good as my Hughes HTLHD but not as good as DTV PAL by DISH. Dolby digital is available as optical or coaxial. Remote control operates TR-100 only not a universal but it does have buttons for 480i/480P/720P & 1080i. EPG seems to be only available for the channel that is active on screen but is good for multiple hours depending on info provided by channel.
Interestingly there is a RS-232 for uploading new software but no address for the uploads. There also is no manufacturer name or address on box or instruction manual. Is this a violation of some FCC or FTC rule?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)