Looking for suggestions for markets best receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rodin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
I'm debating on the azbox elite HD box, but not too sure about it. I know it's supposed to be a great receiver from what I'm reading, but how well is it in the USA? I'm seeing conflicting information on blind scan, and I read it does 4:2:2? I can't even pick up NASA anymore since they changed formats to dvb-s from dvb. I just need a good stable FTA receiver that will allow me the best choices and modulation types. Looking to spend no more than $500 for a receiver to do most everything, so should open my door up pretty wide..

Any receiver suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would suggest either the Azbox (which does do 4:2:2) or the Openbox (no 4:2:2, but great blind scan and price!)... Both units do DVB-S, DVB-S2, and HD.

The NASA-TV mux has multiple SD channels and a HD channel. That transponder is DVB-S.

Something to ponder is the cost of the Azbox worth what you can get on 4:2:2 right now and just what shows your wanting to watch. Another issue is just how easy is the Azbox to use and setup compared to the others.

One thing I'm trying to do is go ahead and "get ahead of the game". I know with my luck, I'll buy something that doesn't do 4:2:2, then next year, almost everything will begin switching, lol.

4:2:2 is not a requirement, so if I don't do 4:2:2, the openbox is what is suggested? I want something that I can shoot out on our private network via IPTV 24/7, and not have to worry about the box freezing, etc. PVR isn't a requirement, but if the suggested box has it built in, then it's an added bonus ;)

I have an openbox & really like it. I'll be moving it to the bedroom someday hooked up to my Ku 1.2 I'll hook up a AZBox premium plus to the BUD...

All in all a great receiver is a Coolsat 5000/6000. They do not do S2 or 4:2:2, but they are great for any & all SD signals you can find, & by far the best receiver I have owned.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I don't think even Bill Gates can keep a head of the game. Technology continually advances & by the time you purchase electronics they already have years of R&D a head of the one you just bought.
As an example I just bought my wife a new laptop with one of the 15 fastest processors in production today. Then I read that Fujitsu will be releasing their Venus which processes 128 giga flops a second.

I'm an advocate for do your best research & due diligence & be happy with your purchase, we can always learn from our mistakes

All in all a great receiver is a Coolsat 5000/6000. They do not do S2 or 4:2:2, but they are great for any & all SD signals you can find, & by far the best receiver I have owned.

I second that...

coolsat5000/6000 menus are easy to use, it has quick blind scan, nice pic quality, and very good motor control...

my friend if 4.2.2 not requirement then go for vantage vt1 dont need the computer to loading channel list usb do everthing.dont need no programs to load one simple channel list butt if you like Filezilla working good to on the vantage vt1.And if you like wifi did have one usb wifi made for the box and working fine on the ftp and hbbtv same channels from europe very good box only miner problems on the america side only skipe s2 on the 105 west on the atlantic side no problems butt the price are about receiver wifi usb shipping to usa euros to american dollares about $700 dolares im very happy.Go to the site for vantage and see.Secaner the best .I like the box and I have azbox premiu plus butt vantage vt1 my opinion are better and the linux softwer working fine and are to new on the box next softwer did go to improve the box even more.Price expensive butt euros to dollares.Blind secane the best change the name to the satelites no problems .I have the box for one ments and the channel list favor list internete everithing working fine like I said miner problems only s2 at 105 west the sound somtimes stop but are softwer problem and vantage did go to fix on the next update .

Last edited:
honestly a couple years ago the azbox would be the best thing out there for the sports fan as lots of feeds were in 4:2:2 SD
This is when the "big sports channels" would do 4:2:2 SD on the "not so big games"
Now with most broadcasters doing HD the SSO is the better option.

I want something that I can shoot out on our private network via IPTV 24/7, and not have to worry about the box freezing, etc.
PVR isn't a requirement, but if the suggested box has it built in, then it's an added bonus ;)
Is this for a commercial application or home use?
If commercial, you should ask for some input directly related to how long the box runs on one channel.

From what I've read, the PVR feature is useless since the clock clears whenever the timer goes off.
I may have that wrong, but it sounded broken to me - though you could manually record a show if you're there.

This is not to say I have a better suggestion.
I believe the SSO may be the best game in town, especially for the price.

Not a commercial application, and not 24x7. After all of the discussion and great reviews on the SSO, guess i'll be getting the S10 version. Thanks for everyone's replies!

PS: Just got to find out where to order it from! lol

Last edited:
One more quick question --- Does the S10 scale down HD signals to the analog outputs if it is needed? Haven't found any information on that, either.

One more quick question --- Does the S10 scale down HD signals to the analog outputs if it is needed? Haven't found any information on that, either.

I don't know the particulars of the S10, but every HD receiver I have ever used will output the HD programming on the composite outputs, for SD viewing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)