Looking Into Majic Jack (Questions)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am leaning towards NetTalk unless I can do MJ on a usb router without any issues. That would save me another $10 a year. For the extra cost of $30 for NetTalk vs MJ one could possibly buy the router on the MJ? MJ is advertised a lot and in quite a few stores and has been around longer than NetTalk so I would be afraid that NetTalk would go under. Can you enter MJ informatoin into NetTalk hardware so that you can use MJ on it?

First question is What is a USB Router?

I know what a USB HUB is. Hubs usually fail if the device requires power. MJ does so without trying I would guess the hub won't work. Easier solution is just add a small USB 2.0 card in the computer. In fact that's what I did on my older computer I used specifically for MJ. It was so old it had no USB 2.0 so I added a card for $12.

I've been using magicjack for over a year.

I dumped the SIP user/pass, and picked up a Cisco UC520 appliance that connects directly to the SIP service. Magicjack dongle is in a drawer in my lab...haven't used it since the day I got it. I have several cisco IP phones through the house, and i have several phones connected to the analog ports on the UC520.

I've tested with up to 10 outgoing calls, and things work fine. I've never had a problem with registration and I've never been banned or had connectivity issues.

That's what I thought it should be.

Too bad MJ is not offered in Canada...

Diogen.

You're Canadian? but but :facepalm

j/k

I've been using magicjack for over a year.

I dumped the SIP user/pass, and picked up a Cisco UC520 appliance that connects directly to the SIP service. Magicjack dongle is in a drawer in my lab...haven't used it since the day I got it. I have several cisco IP phones through the house, and i have several phones connected to the analog ports on the UC520.

I've tested with up to 10 outgoing calls, and things work fine. I've never had a problem with registration and I've never been banned or had connectivity issues.

I did this in the past, then my cisco unit died *sigh* So I bought a wyse terminal on ebay for like $50 and use the MJ that way

I never heard of a terminal but it seems cool. Don't know anything about them. Looks like a great cheap alternative to hooking it up to a computer, particularly those that do not have one. One may be able to even find another use for the terminal other than the MJ. I am seeing these on ebay for around $10-15 maybe even less. I see different types of them though. Are there certain ones that would work better?

I have a MagicJack and have used it for a few months with only one interesting issue. Calls seem to be limited to 90 minutes. My wife keeps complaining about getting cut off. When I check the call log I see her calls are cut off after exactly 90 minutes. That is OK but they should notify you of this limitation.

Also their caller ID is phone number only.

I probably will get one. More out of curiosity.
Some 3/4 of my long distance calls are overseas and MagicJack's rates are ridiculous for those calls.

I use InternetCalls. 30 Euros per year flat fee.
North America (and some of Asia) is free, landlines and cell.
UK, France, Germany and Moscow/St.Petersburg landlines are free. That covers my needs.
But I don't have a number, i.e. only call-out.

BTW, I use a Linksys PAP for that.

I'm interested in MJ as a replacement to our regular phone.

Diogen.

EDIT:
BTW, where did you buy yours from? Is it $40 first year? $20 the hardware and $20 service?
All MJ sites dealing with Canada (that I can find) look really creepy.

Last edited:
I probably will get one. More out of curiosity.
Some 3/4 of my long distance calls are overseas and MagicJack's rates are ridiculous for those calls.

I use InternetCalls. 30 Euros per year flat fee.
North America (and some of Asia) is free, landlines and cell.
UK, France, Germany and Moscow/St.Petersburg landlines are free. That covers my needs.
But I don't have a number, i.e. only call-out.

BTW, I use a Linksys PAP for that.

I'm interested in MJ as a replacement to our regular phone.

Diogen.

EDIT:
BTW, where did you buy yours from? Is it $40 first year? $20 the hardware and $20 service?
All MJ sites dealing with Canada (that I can find) look really creepy.
I didn't get one yet just looking at other options to kick Bell out. I am more inclined towards freephoneline.ca as my solution, $50.00 one time for a "config" file and no monthly bills ever:eek: Then, probably hook up with voip.ms for the better long distance rate outside NA.

It doesn't look like Winnipeg is in the list - won't work for me.

By the description, it's very much like MJ device, ad supported.
I don't quite believe that getting a "$50 config file" will be all you'll ever pay (you avoid their ads).

Diogen.

I'm also interested in any substitute for MJ to be free of powering a computer but as is usually the case, the devil is in the details. or you get what you pay for.

See this list of Ooma specs:

Most noted is cost for extension phones; 3000 min cap; fee for phone number; no FAX. Most of the fees are considerable cost per month. For now, I'll be sticking with MJ as I have it for 2 more years. I paid $60 3 years ago for the dongle and the service. Also, a feature I like with MJ voice mail is it sends the voice mail as a mp3 file to my cell phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts