Looking Into Majic Jack (Questions)?

I am leaning towards NetTalk unless I can do MJ on a usb router without any issues. That would save me another $10 a year. For the extra cost of $30 for NetTalk vs MJ one could possibly buy the router on the MJ? MJ is advertised a lot and in quite a few stores and has been around longer than NetTalk so I would be afraid that NetTalk would go under. Can you enter MJ informatoin into NetTalk hardware so that you can use MJ on it?

First question is What is a USB Router?

I know what a USB HUB is. Hubs usually fail if the device requires power. MJ does so without trying I would guess the hub won't work. Easier solution is just add a small USB 2.0 card in the computer. In fact that's what I did on my older computer I used specifically for MJ. It was so old it had no USB 2.0 so I added a card for $12.

I've been using magicjack for over a year.

I dumped the SIP user/pass, and picked up a Cisco UC520 appliance that connects directly to the SIP service. Magicjack dongle is in a drawer in my lab...haven't used it since the day I got it. I have several cisco IP phones through the house, and i have several phones connected to the analog ports on the UC520.

I've tested with up to 10 outgoing calls, and things work fine. I've never had a problem with registration and I've never been banned or had connectivity issues.

That's what I thought it should be.

Too bad MJ is not offered in Canada...

Diogen.

You're Canadian? but but :facepalm

j/k

I've been using magicjack for over a year.

I dumped the SIP user/pass, and picked up a Cisco UC520 appliance that connects directly to the SIP service. Magicjack dongle is in a drawer in my lab...haven't used it since the day I got it. I have several cisco IP phones through the house, and i have several phones connected to the analog ports on the UC520.

I've tested with up to 10 outgoing calls, and things work fine. I've never had a problem with registration and I've never been banned or had connectivity issues.

I did this in the past, then my cisco unit died *sigh* So I bought a wyse terminal on ebay for like $50 and use the MJ that way

I never heard of a terminal but it seems cool. Don't know anything about them. Looks like a great cheap alternative to hooking it up to a computer, particularly those that do not have one. One may be able to even find another use for the terminal other than the MJ. I am seeing these on ebay for around $10-15 maybe even less. I see different types of them though. Are there certain ones that would work better?

I have a MagicJack and have used it for a few months with only one interesting issue. Calls seem to be limited to 90 minutes. My wife keeps complaining about getting cut off. When I check the call log I see her calls are cut off after exactly 90 minutes. That is OK but they should notify you of this limitation.

Also their caller ID is phone number only.

I probably will get one. More out of curiosity.
Some 3/4 of my long distance calls are overseas and MagicJack's rates are ridiculous for those calls.

I use InternetCalls. 30 Euros per year flat fee.
North America (and some of Asia) is free, landlines and cell.
UK, France, Germany and Moscow/St.Petersburg landlines are free. That covers my needs.
But I don't have a number, i.e. only call-out.

BTW, I use a Linksys PAP for that.

I'm interested in MJ as a replacement to our regular phone.

Diogen.

EDIT:
BTW, where did you buy yours from? Is it $40 first year? $20 the hardware and $20 service?
All MJ sites dealing with Canada (that I can find) look really creepy.

Last edited:
I probably will get one. More out of curiosity.
Some 3/4 of my long distance calls are overseas and MagicJack's rates are ridiculous for those calls.

I use InternetCalls. 30 Euros per year flat fee.
North America (and some of Asia) is free, landlines and cell.
UK, France, Germany and Moscow/St.Petersburg landlines are free. That covers my needs.
But I don't have a number, i.e. only call-out.

BTW, I use a Linksys PAP for that.

I'm interested in MJ as a replacement to our regular phone.

Diogen.

EDIT:
BTW, where did you buy yours from? Is it $40 first year? $20 the hardware and $20 service?
All MJ sites dealing with Canada (that I can find) look really creepy.
I didn't get one yet just looking at other options to kick Bell out. I am more inclined towards freephoneline.ca as my solution, $50.00 one time for a "config" file and no monthly bills ever:eek: Then, probably hook up with voip.ms for the better long distance rate outside NA.

It doesn't look like Winnipeg is in the list - won't work for me.

By the description, it's very much like MJ device, ad supported.
I don't quite believe that getting a "$50 config file" will be all you'll ever pay (you avoid their ads).

Diogen.

I'm also interested in any substitute for MJ to be free of powering a computer but as is usually the case, the devil is in the details. or you get what you pay for.

See this list of Ooma specs:

Most noted is cost for extension phones; 3000 min cap; fee for phone number; no FAX. Most of the fees are considerable cost per month. For now, I'll be sticking with MJ as I have it for 2 more years. I paid $60 3 years ago for the dongle and the service. Also, a feature I like with MJ voice mail is it sends the voice mail as a mp3 file to my cell phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)