Looking Into Majic Jack (Questions)?

I have had my Majic Jack for over 3ys, with no problems. Actually, I just
last year purchased a second one. Both of them are in Mexico, to
family members And they call almost every day here to Calif.
It works great, my wife talks for hours with the Daughter and my
Sister in Law.

I'm also interested in any substitute for MJ to be free of powering a computer but as is usually the case, the devil is in the details. or you get what you pay for.

See this list of Ooma specs:

Most noted is cost for extension phones; 3000 min cap; fee for phone number; no FAX. Most of the fees are considerable cost per month. For now, I'll be sticking with MJ as I have it for 2 more years. I paid $60 3 years ago for the dongle and the service. Also, a feature I like with MJ voice mail is it sends the voice mail as a mp3 file to my cell phone.

Don -

Ooma does offer an extension phone, but its not needed. Your existing phones work fine.

The cap is 5000.
Lack of continuous conversation, unusual calling patterns, excessive caller and calling destinations and/or excessive usage (e.g. 5,000 minutes per base unit per month or more) will be considered as indicators that your use of the Equipment may be inconsistent with normal residential usage.

I have Ooma premier which is $9.99 a month, that includes a 2nd no. If you pay the 9.99 fee for a year they waive the cost if you want to port your home no. to Ooma.

You can fax just fine, it just requires a *99 extension before the no.

Ooma works very well, but as in any voip service it all depends on the quality of your internet provider.

I paid the 9.99 for the year, but there are fee's.... 911.....etc. Which for me are $3.47 monthly

Presently my main use for MJ has dwindled back to a backup for FAX as my father is now in a nursing home and there is no need for the service for his use. I'll revisit the technology in 2 years when my $60 for 5 years of service expires. When that day comes, I'll be smiling at having had service for one of the best bargains on the market. Spend more if you want but IMO, it isn't necessary. MJ works fine and doesn't suffer all the troubles many claim. Would be nice not to deal with running the computer though.

I appreciate all the updates on Ooma as that seems the best second bet for VOIP, not requiring any computer.

There are many folks that use cell phones and do not want to go with another VoIP provider such as MJ/oOma. I see that Sprint has a device that allows you to make calls through it using a broadband connection. Is there something like that available for AT&T or Verizon? I have a lot of people in my area wanting cell signal due to lack of reception here.

There are many folks that use cell phones and do not want to go with another VoIP provider such as MJ/oOma. I see that Sprint has a device that allows you to make calls through it using a broadband connection. Is there something like that available for AT&T or Verizon? I have a lot of people in my area wanting cell signal due to lack of reception here.

Only thing I know verizon has is a network extender.

Having used the 1st and 2nd (3g) version of the sprint device (called Airave), I can say it works extremely well. At&t has one also, not sure if it does 3g or not.

Im in Aruba now and my ooma works great! It sure is nice to be able to call back to the States for free.

I have an Ooma Telo and I'm also very happy with it's performance and the call quality.

And what was good just got better.........

Ooma, Inc. today announced that High-Definition (HD) Voice, the latest component of Ooma PureVoice™ technology, is available on its award-winning Ooma Telo system. This marks the first time consumers can enjoy telephone calls in HD, further enriching the calling experience for those wanting a superior home telephony experience.

Ooma raised the bar on voice quality with the introduction of Ooma PureVoice technology in April, delivering excellent voice quality over substandard or overloaded Internet connections. Now, with the addition of Ooma HD Voice, Ooma Telo users can experience phone calls with twice the fidelity of a standard phone line when calling another Ooma Telo user. Beginning today, the HD Voice update will automatically roll out to all customers with an Ooma Telo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts