Looking to install direcTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jben04

Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Finally had enough with cable with their last price increase,so i'm looking into going the DirecTV route.
So after alot of research i've come to believe that we may have a big problem with the line of sight .
I used dish pointer.com,and my location is :
Latitude: 32.3921°
Longitude: -80.7642°

Not too sure what dish sat to select in the drop down menu, but we have some pretty tall trees in the LOS.
Also used a driod app (snap finder lite) and took a few snaps :

SatFinder_2014-08-20-08-50-47.jpg SatFinder_2014-08-20-08-50-50.jpg SatFinder_2014-08-20-08-51-20.jpg SatFinder_2014-08-20-08-58-13.jpg

thanks ..
Used the info you gave me and managed to get a better picture.
Hopefully we shouldnt have a problem ( fingers crossed )

Attachments

• SatFinder_2014-08-20-10-31-47.jpg
    SatFinder_2014-08-20-10-31-47.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys jben04!

It looks like you are in the Savannah dma. If so, your local sd channels come from the 119 satellite, which looks like you have an issue with. The local hd channels come mostly from 99, with one coming from 103. The problem is that Directv requires reception from 119 if your local sd channels come from there, whether or not you want or care about them. You may get an independent installer to use equipment that doesn't need the 119 satellite. You should start with scheduling an install. Directv will come out and survey the site to see if there is a spot where you can get all of the satellites. If not, then you may need to call the independent guy.

I'm located about 90 minutes from Savannah, actually in Beaufort , South Carolina,few minutes from Parris Island.

I'd install it with a SWM-3. Hopefully your tech can or is willing to do that.

Can you request the tech to install it with that?
It was also recommended to me that i request a HR44 DVR main box also.

You can -try- to request it. Really, it's at the tech's discretion, and subject to policy at the site. My DMA is making the switch to SWM3 universally "at some point, eventually" so they're becoming more and more plentiful.

That's a big change for Directv then. Previously you had to have a 5 lnb if you lived in a market with sd channels on 119. This is a good thing!

Yea kinda sorta not really.... I guess it's for the better but I'm already hearing about it from cm that think they no more than techs claiming they are going to be missing channels they are paying for... and while I can only confirm this in my dma.. sd locals are as of today still only on 119.. so if you display all channels sd duplicates included you will not see sd locals at all on a swm3... even though the work orders are being built with swm3.

Our DMA is actually just switching SD locals to 101 to match a neighboring DMA, and that's why we're going SWM3.

little update,,a bumped into a direcTV tech .and he check out our area, only one place we can get all the necessary channels, but we will first need to cut down some tree limbs (one being pretty high up).
And in other news , when i went to pay our cable bill i ask them what to do to terminate our services, and proceeded to tell them about our bill increase and she gave me a number to call...basically they took off $40 of my entire bill for 12 mnths...:clapping

Reactions: raoul5788
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)