Looking to trade Dish 942 for a Motorola 922

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I want a box that Nextcom can modify.

Dish 942 has been in use 90-120 days. Like New.

If you have a 922 and given up on C Band, it could be a good deal.

Leave me a message if interested.

I don't mean to be rude, but that doesn't sound like much of a deal. The 942 isn't an mpeg4 box so no new HD channels will work with it, and after tomorrow, a 942 can't be authorized for any HD service. In your position, I think I'd probably just take the NPS deal for a 922 and sell the 942 for whatever they're worth these days. It can still probably be used as an SD DVR and I guess as an OTA HD box. I'm not sure about the OTA part, since they can't be used for HD Dish programming.

Well, considering that 942s are still selling today for over $400 on eFlea and the 922s have Buy It Now Prices of $50 less, it might have been a good deal for someone - especially given the reports here that over 10,000 a month are abandoning 4DTV subs.

Seem 1 out of 10,000 this month might be interested.

10,000 a month is analog Cband, 4dtv users are not leaving that much, not anymore than anything else I would think

I should have my 922 with nextcom mod going soon, I sold all my Dish HD receivers(except my 6000 nextcom, for HDNet Movies)

-Gary

Gary Murrell said:
10,000 a month is analog Cband, 4dtv users are not leaving that much, not anymore than anything else I would think

I should have my 922 with nextcom mod going soon, I sold all my Dish HD receivers(except my 6000 nextcom, for HDNet Movies)

-Gary

The only 4dtv users that will leave, are the ones with undersized reflectors, to many trees hills in the way, or older non tech type people.

Sad thing is that many of those analog only users do not even know about 4dtv, or YSP (dish network) are telling them that big dish is dead and all the channels are leaving :(

Gary Murrell said:

-Gary

As there are only 200k 4dtv subscribers left, 10k a month is 5% - or 15% a quarter. No other service has anything like this happening - in fact Dish and Directv had around a 1.5% churn rate last quarter and that was considered VERY HIGH.

5% a month is a stampede.

Cable isnt expected to loose that much in the next 5 years - much less a month.

HDTVFanAtic said:
As there are only 200k 4dtv subscribers left, 10k a month is 5% - or 15% a quarter. No other service has anything like this happening - in fact Dish and Directv had around a 1.5% churn rate last quarter and that was considered VERY HIGH.

5% a month is a stampede.

Cable isnt expected to loose that much in the next 5 years - much less a month.

I am still trying to figure out why you would even want a 4dtv since as you put it will have no subscribers left in 20 months. Do you not believe your own statments.

4DTV is not losing customers at the quoted Cband rate, this is people leaving analog Bud mostly

as long as there is TV there will be 4DTV, with some upgraded receivers things would get even better

-Gary

HDTVFanAtic said:
Well, considering that 942s are still selling today for over $400 on eFlea and the 922s have Buy It Now Prices of $50 less, it might have been a good deal for someone - especially given the reports here that over 10,000 a month are abandoning 4DTV subs.

Seem 1 out of 10,000 this month might be interested.

Yes, you're right, there are a lot of people being ripped off on Ebay. A used 942 is worth next to nothing in a little over 24 hours. There's no way you can get one to somebody in time for them to be able to sub HD programming. It might be usable as an SD DVR, but Dish will give those to new subs for free. On the other hand, a used 922 is legitimately worth somewhere between $200 and $300.

iammike said:
Yes, you're right, there are a lot of people being ripped off on Ebay. A used 942 is worth next to nothing in a little over 24 hours. There's no way you can get one to somebody in time for them to be able to sub HD programming. It might be usable as an SD DVR, but Dish will give those to new subs for free. On the other hand, a used 922 is legitimately worth somewhere between $200 and $300.

Thank you for the info.....however, it was sold with buy it now for $420 - more than a 922 is going for. The funds were sent via paypal and the unit is now subscribed under the buyer's name and on the way to them - all prior to 2/1/2006.

So no matter how you look at it, I could have done the same for anyone on this forum who wanted to trade - thus no boat anchor.

And let's be real - the 922 will probably loose the ability to receive most HD programming as soon as the 942 does - and Dish will give the new 942 owner a generous rebate on an MPEG4 unit.

What kind of rebate will you get for your 922 when that time comes?

HDTVFanAtic said:
Thank you for the info.....however, it was sold with buy it now for $420 - more than a 922 is going for. The funds were sent via paypal and the unit is now subscribed under the buyer's name and on the way to them - all prior to 2/1/2006.

So no matter how you look at it, I could have done the same for anyone on this forum who wanted to trade - thus no boat anchor.

And let's be real - the 922 will probably loose the ability to receive most HD programming as soon as the 942 does - and Dish will give the new 942 owner a generous rebate on an MPEG4 unit.

I have not heard of any HD feeds that we get with 4dtv switching to megapipe or any other tech, you most likely will have the current HD feeds on the BUD for a long time to come, and if whatever "new platform" NPS mentioned on there chat goes through I do hope we will see even more HD on the BUD.

tdti1 said:
I have not heard of any HD feeds that we get with 4dtv switching to megapipe or any other tech, you most likely will have the current HD feeds on the BUD for a long time to come, and if whatever "new platform" NPS mentioned on there chat goes through I do hope we will see even more HD on the BUD.

I share your hope, but i don't go chasing Windmills like other here.

Any new "platform" would be a "new platform" - not the 922.

As more and more channels need to go HD, they will be forced to go Megapipe and stat-mux the uplink.

The simple math of supply and demand shows you there is simply no other way.

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:

I'm not sure what "time" you are talking about. Starz just reduced their price from $185.00 to $110.00 per year for their 35 movie channels, including HD. I don't see C-Band going down soon.

nailzs said:
I'm not sure what "time" you are talking about. Starz just reduced their price from $185.00 to $110.00 per year for their 35 movie channels, including HD. I don't see C-Band going down soon.

Again, it will go megapipe and stat-mux. That is different than C-Band going down.

nailzs said:
If that's true why would Starz host the 4DTV's program guide?

The same reason Dish would sell you a 942 or a 811 on 1/31/2006 the day before they became outdated on 2/1/2006.

Every company will push what they have until the end.

4dtv

I Love my 4dtv, along side my fortec ultra fta receiver, my choices are wider and greater than any other form of tv reception service. My picture is better on most all channels from the masterbroadcast pic quality that I enjoy. There is a limited amount of HD content, but that goes for just about everywhere for now.

Most so-called HD content offered by the con-artist pizza pan companies are not real HD! They tell you its HD, and sell you HD, but not always as good as it could be. Magic word here is "C-OM-P-R-E-S-S-I-O-N" out the wazoooo!

I would put up my SD 4dtv pic quality against many of the Pizza pusher's HD quality.

4dtv does not get any advertising, I don't know who to blame for this one, maybe Motorola. They could afford some tv commercials.

Some limitations with c-band would be areas where all satellites are not viewable from homeowner's properties, HOA's (god help them), Multiple tv's viewing independent channels.

Pic and audio quality more than offsets the cons in my opinion.

I would push 4dtv anyday over cable or pizza. C-band is not ever going away despite what some may tell the non-tech inclined folks who have perfectly workable dishes. Don't buy the hype!!

Trucker:)

HDTVFanAtic said:
The same reason Dish would sell you a 942 or a 811 on 1/31/2006 the day before they became outdated on 2/1/2006.

Every company will push what they have until the end.

What? You make no sense. Don't equate the business tactics of Dish to every satellite company.

truckracer said:
I Love my 4dtv, along side my fortec ultra fta receiver, my choices are wider and greater than any other form of tv reception service. My picture is better on most all channels from the masterbroadcast pic quality that I enjoy. There is a limited amount of HD content, but that goes for just about everywhere for now.

Most so-called HD content offered by the con-artist pizza pan companies are not real HD! They tell you its HD, and sell you HD, but not always as good as it could be. Magic word here is "C-OM-P-R-E-S-S-I-O-N" out the wazoooo!

I would put up my SD 4dtv pic quality against many of the Pizza pusher's HD quality.

4dtv does not get any advertising, I don't know who to blame for this one, maybe Motorola. They could afford some tv commercials.

Some limitations with c-band would be areas where all satellites are not viewable from homeowner's properties, HOA's (god help them), Multiple tv's viewing independent channels.

Pic and audio quality more than offsets the cons in my opinion.

I would push 4dtv anyday over cable or pizza. C-band is not ever going away despite what some may tell the non-tech inclined folks who have perfectly workable dishes. Don't buy the hype!!

Trucker:)

One of the best things about the C-Band satellite is the owners are not tied to one central company for programming. We can consider ourselves "independent contractors". If we don't like the pricing at one company, go shopping at another.

If the programmers, HBO, Showtime, Starz! were not making money from C-Band owners why would they bother keeping their programming in Digicypher 2 format?
Why would Motorola continue with their C-Band division and keep the IPG (Interactive Program Guide) up for free?

I think a lot of misinformation about C-Band is being spread by one pizza dish company about the number of active C-Band dish subscribers to further their business.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts