4DTV Broke--HELP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lovedish

Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Several nights ago we had a major rain storm. My receiver began to act up. It made a clicking noise like it was changing satellites, however nothing happened, and I didn't touch anything to make it do this. I turned it off for fear of the storm messing it up. When I turned it back on the next day I had no power to it and no picture except a black screen with little white and black wavy things every once in awhile. I tried the usual unconnect everything.... but nothing changed. It is possible that a slight bit of moisture could have gotten in the receiver, but could that cause it to short out. Can any of you smart guys help me with my problem?

A complete guess

lovedish said:
Several nights ago we had a major rain storm. My receiver began to act up. It made a clicking noise like it was changing satellites, however nothing happened, and I didn't touch anything to make it do this. I turned it off for fear of the storm messing it up. When I turned it back on the next day I had no power to it and no picture except a black screen with little white and black wavy things every once in awhile. I tried the usual unconnect everything.... but nothing changed. It is possible that a slight bit of moisture could have gotten in the receiver, but could that cause it to short out. Can any of you smart guys help me with my problem?

Hello....
I am REALLY guessing here but it sounds as though you took a power hit. You say there is no power to it (which would probably indicate a power Supply) but then say you can see some white and black wavy lines?? That clicking noise was probably a relay.

Another more remote thought is the battery was dead when you unplugged??) it??

Many people do not understand that simply turning a component off does not protect it from line surges/brownouts. In fact because the 4dtv is not really off but just sleeping, the matter is probably worse. To protect a component completely, UNPLUG IT. You can get a surge/.brownout anytime, not just during a storm!!

My entire system is on a Panamax AC regenerating power conditioner. The Salesman from Best Buy had a gizmo that he plugged into the wall...you should hear the noise on the AC line!! After plugging in the Panamax...silence! NOISE on an AC line can also damage power supplies!!

If you have unplugged it for about 30 minutes and disconnected everything, if it will not power up...repair time unfortunately!
Good Luck
Jeff

Thanks for your quick response. I did unplug my unit that night, but the damage may have already been done before that. Can these units be repaired? Can the battery be replaced if that is the problem? Do I call my satellite man or call the company?

Once damaged...

lovedish said:
Thanks for your quick response. I did unplug my unit that night, but the damage may have already been done before that. Can these units be repaired? Can the battery be replaced if that is the problem? Do I call my satellite man or call the company?

Once it is damaged or brain dead, it usually means a motherboard replacement (expensive). I do not remember the name off hand but there is a Company that specializes in 4dtv repair. When you add the repair + 2 way fgt...EXPENSIVE! Try a google search or someone here will help I am sure.

The time to replace the battery is BEFORE it goes dead. Once the unit loses its ID....it is gone!

Jeff

lovedish said:

Good idea to get some protection for the system, maybe even with a UPS, send it to ATS they will fix it fast and right:
http://www.ats-electronics.com/

Interesting website thank you. For those prices though one could almost buy a new 4DTV receiver. I have enjoyed my BUD, however I wonder if its days are numbered. The KU and digital channels are great though. I had hoped to get a free to air box but now I don't know what to do. I have restarted my Dish Network for the time being, however I'm missing my old channels such as Nebraska PBS.

Amy

Amy, please don't buy the lies that some companies tell. The big dish is not going anywhere, its just going digital. 4dtv is the future of c and ku band subscription tv.

Your big dish gives you the cheapest possible programming fees, the most choices, and above all the very best picture and sound you can get from any distribution system.

New c-band satellites are being launched all the time. If this was a dying technology, then i could not imagine all the companies spending millions on something that will soon be dead. Besides, without c-band the cable companies could not get their signals.

Keep your big dish, you have the best don't settle for less!!

lovedish said:
Interesting website thank you. For those prices though one could almost buy a new 4DTV receiver. I have enjoyed my BUD, however I wonder if its days are numbered. The KU and digital channels are great though. I had hoped to get a free to air box but now I don't know what to do. I have restarted my Dish Network for the time being, however I'm missing my old channels such as Nebraska PBS.

Amy

If you have a 922 it would be best to fix it at ATS, if you have a 920 it would be best to forget it and get a new 922 from Skyvision or NPS.
Good Luck.

You make some very interesting points. I love my 4DTV. I want to keep it. Every day though we hear of new stations leaving the analog. Things seem uncertain if they will go to the digital side. TV Land is an example. I know several channels have gone digital, but do you think every time a station leaves analog they will move if the numbers of BUDs are sliding downward?

Is there a way to know if my unit is a 922? I think it is but I'm not sure. It says General Instruments on the front. Why is the 922 so much better than the 920?

lovedish said:
Is there a way to know if my unit is a 922? I think it is but I'm not sure. It says General Instruments on the front. Why is the 922 so much better than the 920?

If it is a 922 on the left top side on the front of the face under 4dtv it will say dsr 922, the 922 is much better first you do not need to unplug replug to get the new maps, it has 25 times and 5.1 audio, the 922 also can get channels that the 920 can't get.

TV land will be on 4dtv, other channels will be on 4dtv, we just got about 6 new channels mapped into the system over the past few days, and I am sure we will be getting a bunch more :)

Okay I found my information on my receiver and it's a 920. So I guess I shouldn't spend the money to have it fixed. I have read that NPS has a deal on 4DTVs with a 100 dollar rebate, however the promo on their website sounds like it's for the small dish. Do you know more about this offer for the 922?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts