Looks like CW coming to Springfield MA market

That's the most major channel outside of the Big Four. I'm surprised that they don't have it yet.
Hartford is 30 miles down the road so outdoor antenna folks can get CW from there. I know there is some terrain issues as downtown Sprinigfield shows 1edge for some of the Hartford stations

Have you thought about satellite TV and "moving"? That might be an option.

Since my DMA has no CW dish network did broadcast the Pittsburgh CW but I cancelled due to the price increases. WPCW did put a repeater in the Johnstown area, but not Altoona. You cant beat the picture of an OTA signal. :)

With Springfield CW owned by WWLP and DIsh already carring WWLP 1 for NBC,I'm surprised this channel hasn't been added yet. Does it have to be a separate negotiation?

Hartford is 30 miles down the road so outdoor antenna folks can get CW from there. I know there is some terrain issues as downtown Sprinigfield shows 1edge for some of the Hartford stations

That channel happens to get out a very good signal so yes. I would be surprised even with possible terrain issues that most could not get it.

With Springfield CW owned by WWLP and DIsh already carring WWLP 1 for NBC,I'm surprised this channel hasn't been added yet. Does it have to be a separate negotiation?
Yes. But note subchannels usually aren't added unless its a Big 4 network. The owner may ask for it to be added but dish does not have to add it

Yes. But note subchannels usually aren't added unless its a Big 4 network. The owner may ask for it to be added but dish does not have to add it

Dish added the Burlington VT DMA CW (WPTZ 5-2 Plattsburgh NY) but Directv hasn't. Dish puts it on Ch 14 which interestingly is WPTZ's RF OTA channel.

Dish added the Burlington VT DMA CW (WPTZ 5-2 Plattsburgh NY) but Directv hasn't. Dish puts it on Ch 14 which interestingly is WPTZ's RF OTA channel.
When Dish adds a subchannel they **usually** use the following ways for that channel number
-The stations current RF number (as in this case)
-The stations former digital number. If the station went back to its analog RF number Dish uses their pre-DTV digital number. Example is Mankato, MN. Its CBS -1 FOX -2 (only station in the market). They were on 38 pre-DTV but are back on RF12. So CBS is on 12, FOX is on 38
-some random number that really has no reasining ;)

The oddball ones are the ones where the new station replaces an existing one. Great example is Jonesboro, AR. They use to only have ABC before the beginning of the year. When they added NBC as a sub (8-2) Dish put it on 5, which is where the imported station (WMC Memphis) was. When FOX 39 was added it was put on 13 (Memphis Fox slot) and last was CBS 42 which they added to 3 (where Memphis CBS was)

Reactions: ejb1980
When Dish adds a subchannel they **usually** use the following ways for that channel number
-The stations current RF number (as in this case)
-The stations former digital number. If the station went back to its analog RF number Dish uses their pre-DTV digital number. Example is Mankato, MN. Its CBS -1 FOX -2 (only station in the market). They were on 38 pre-DTV but are back on RF12. So CBS is on 12, FOX is on 38
-some random number that really has no reasining ;)

The oddball ones are the ones where the new station replaces an existing one. Great example is Jonesboro, AR. They use to only have ABC before the beginning of the year. When they added NBC as a sub (8-2) Dish put it on 5, which is where the imported station (WMC Memphis) was. When FOX 39 was added it was put on 13 (Memphis Fox slot) and last was CBS 42 which they added to 3 (where Memphis CBS was)

I would be mad if they didn't put Fox 39 on Ch 39. Locals should be on their local channel number. I like using the RF channel number as needed as kind of an "inside shot out" to OTA.

I would be mad if they didn't put Fox 39 on Ch 39. Locals should be on their local channel number.
I agree
What is goofy is when they replace a station they should use the actual number, not the number it replaced. Its deceiving. If I had FOX 13 out of Memphis imported and all of a sudden I tune to 13 and get Fox out of Jonesboro I'm sure the old folks were confused. Why not put up a slate screen with "To view FOX programming tune to 39". I know Directv does that. They did that when they added Fox Mankato a couple years ago. If you tuned to 9 (Minneapolis FOX...that was imported) it said "Tune to channel 13 for Fox programming"

My old market (Duluth, MN) has 3 subchannels on dish
CW (3-2) which is on 7. Doesnt make sense as if we are using option A above it would be on 33 (KDLH's RF station)
My (6-2) which is on 9 (which is what they ID as....My 9..cable slot)
MeTV (10-2) is on 13 which is smart. WDIO 10 and satellite WIRT 13 basically use the others number on cable. So in Duluth WDIO 10 is on cable 13. Pretty sure Hubbard Broadcasting requested that when MeTV was added.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts