Looks like MLB is adding one more playoff team

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
One game in each league is not going to add enough revenue to change anything drastic. As I said, the argument can be made that this hurts big market teams.

Sandra

Watch the chaos ensue when a game 163 is needed to break a tie between two teams for that last wild card spot. Teams flying everywhere for these one game playoffs. Ridiculous.

Maybe they will add a detailed tie-breaking procedure like the NFL has, instead.... :eek:

Watch the chaos ensue when a game 163 is needed to break a tie between two teams for that last wild card spot. Teams flying everywhere for these one game playoffs. Ridiculous.

Maybe they will add a detailed tie-breaking procedure like the NFL has, instead.... :eek:

Maybe. It would probably be extremely rare, but extra 'game sevens' can only be a good thing.

Sandra

Me either. He has done only what he can benefit from and that's it.

I'm not sure what this means, Ramy. Are you saying you don't want to add one more playoff team because you don't trust Selig? Don't trust him how?

Sandra

Well, if so, the addition of another wild card team on TOP of eliminating divisions would only benefit major market teams. Middle class teams, whose only hopes of making the playoffs would be to win their division will suffer. :(

bingo. It just makes the major market teams road to the playoffs easier

Sure...if you seriously want to call one game to make it into the ALDS the 'playoffs'. I don't.

Sandra
I'm confused. You called it a playoff when you opened the thread.

Common definitions of the word 'playoffs' would seem to agree: a series of contests played after the end of the regular season to determine a championship ...

I'm confused. You called it a playoff when you opened the thread.

Common definitions of the word 'playoffs' would seem to agree: a series of contests played after the end of the regular season to determine a championship ...

Yeah, sorry for the confusion...I'm probably not wording it correctly.

My point is that this does NOT help teams like the Yankees and Red Sox (while others are saying it does), because instead of 'winning' the wild card and going right into the ALDS (like they do now), going forward they wiill have to win a one game playoff to get into the ALDS instead.

That's what I mean about it not being an advantage to big market teams.

Sandra

Yeah, sorry for the confusion...I'm probably not wording it correctly.

My point is that this does NOT help teams like the Yankees and Red Sox (while others are saying it does), because instead of 'winning' the wild card and going right into the ALDS (like they do now), going forward they wiill have to win a one game playoff to get into the ALDS instead.

That's what I mean about it not being an advantage to big market teams.

Sandra
This is to allow Boston and Tampa Bay to be the top 2 teams and STILL find a way to get the yankees into it.

This is to allow a smaller market team the opportunity to take the Yankees or Red Sox out in a one game wild card playoff and keep them out of the ALDS.

Sandra

Sure...if you seriously want to call one game to make it into the ALDS the 'playoffs'. I don't.

Sandra

Then I guess the NFL does not have a playoff system.

I am not crazy about all of this either. But a playoff system can be a series of single elimantion games, progressive rounds of best x out of y or a combination of the two.

its considered the playoffs....If you play a game after the rest of the teams are done for the year that would be the "playoffs"
Even Detroit/Minnesota Game 163 was considered the "playoffs"

its considered the playoffs....If you play a game after the rest of the teams are done for the year that would be the "playoffs"

This makes it more difficult for a big market team to make it into the ALDS

Sandra

Ice, any game 163 is the regular season statistically speaking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)