Looks like MLB is adding one more playoff team

So this is the Selig marking plan:

Watch the regular season because you want your team to win the division, because if they "only" win a wild card, they have no real chance in the next round.

Then, the next day, watch the wild card game, even though the winner has no shot.

Then, the next day, watch the real first round, because its the playoffs, even though the wild card team is not going to win.

Genius.

So this is the Selig marking plan:

Watch the regular season because you want your team to win the division, because if they "only" win a wild card, they have no real chance in the next round.

Then, the next day, watch the wild card game, even though the winner has no shot.

Then, the next day, watch the real first round, because its the playoffs, even though the wild card team is not going to win.

Genius.

Actually, the WC the way it is right now HAS done very well for itself.
St. Louis did not win thier division and made it as a WC and WON the WS.

This has happened previously as well.

Adding this play-in game will be as well received as expanding the field and extra games added to March Madness was. The teams involved and their fans are happy, but everyone else won't care so much and won't watch...

cosmo_kramer said:
Adding this play-in game will be as well received as expanding the field and extra games added to March Madness was. The teams involved and their fans are happy, but everyone else won't care so much and won't watch...

Don't forget the teams who are competing for that spot, but don't win it in the end. Also, if one WC is particularly hot, then I can see the remaining teams hoping that hot team gets bounced.

What this has done is help the big name teams even more. When they changed the playoffs series from a 5 game format to a 7 game...all that did in my eyes his help the deep pocket teams and lessen the chances of a series upset.

I would rather have the season start on May 1st and end by mid September and the entire playoffs done by the 1st week in October. But that is for another thread/discussion. ;)

I would rather have the season start on May 1st and end by mid September and the entire playoffs done by the 1st week in October. But that is for another thread/discussion. ;)

I'd be good with that, but the Owners will never go for it as they would not have as many Home games to collect income from, the same reason why we don't get True DH's anymore.

Probably wouldn't want to wait till May ( Verlander would !) April 15th would be better.
Makes for a LONGER Winter this way .... :rolleyes:

It wasn't that way when the White Sox played thier 1 game playoff a few years ago.

changed a couple years ago

Home-field advantage for tie-breakers was determined by a coin flip through the 2008 season, after which performance-based criteria, such as head-to-head record of the tied teams, were put in place.

Thats why the 09 Tigers/Twins game (163) was at the Dome

changed a couple years ago

Home-field advantage for tie-breakers was determined by a coin flip through the 2008 season, after which performance-based criteria, such as head-to-head record of the tied teams, were put in place.

Thats why the 09 Tigers/Twins game (163) was at the Dome

OK, must have been "08 I was remembering.

Problem here is the WC teams have a HUGE disadvantage over the division winner as the WC teams would ahve to use thier ACE to get to the next round and the Winning team would never match up with the Division winners with thier 2 or 3 going against the others Ace.

Seriously? You have a problem with giving division winners a HUGE advantage over wild card teams? I suppose that's where we differ, Jimbo. I WANT to give division winners a huge advantage over wild card teams.

They've earned it over 162 games.

Sandra

What this has done is help the big name teams even more. When they changed the playoffs series from a 5 game format to a 7 game...all that did in my eyes his help the deep pocket teams and lessen the chances of a series upset.

Actually, you can make the argument that adding a wild card HURTS big name teams. Let's say the Yankees and Red Sox are two of the best teams in the AL. Only one can win the division. A number of times in the past the team that's come in second went right into the ALDS.

Now whoever finishes second will have to win one game against one of the lesser teams...which means you may have to do it against a Verlander, Weaver, Shields, etc.

Sandra

Actually, you can make the argument that adding a wild card HURTS big name teams. Let's say the Yankees and Red Sox are two of the best teams in the AL. Only one can win the division. A number of times in the past the team that's come in second went right into the ALDS.

Now whoever finishes second will have to win one game against one of the lesser teams...which means you may have to do it against a Verlander, Weaver, Shields, etc.

Sandra

TO ME, they added the playoffs within the wildcard because by adding another wildcard, it helps the big market teams. It also helps add even more revenue...which in the end, they would never do something that did not add revenue.

I will still withhold judgement because I just don't trust a former owner running the league. He has done little to the game for the sake of the game...

But that is for another thread and another day.

Seriously? You have a problem with giving division winners a HUGE advantage over wild card teams? I suppose that's where we differ, Jimbo. I WANT to give division winners a huge advantage over wild card teams.

They've earned it over 162 games.

Sandra
While they're at it, why not add 2 more WC teams per league and give the top 2 division winners a bye. Now, there's a real advantage!!

While they're at it, why not add 2 more WC teams per league and give the top 2 division winners a bye. Now, there's a real advantage!!

I honestly don't think MLB teams would want a bye, cosmo. Baseball teams sitting around too long may not be a good thing.

Sandra

TO ME, they added the playoffs within the wildcard because by adding another wildcard, it helps the big market teams. It also helps add even more revenue...which in the end, they would never do something that did not add revenue.

One game in each league is not going to add enough revenue to change anything drastic. As I said, the argument can be made that this hurts big market teams.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts