Looks like they came down on the price of HBO with the addition of HBOmax

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
AT&T is already pulling some DC content from HBO Max, weeks after the service launched.

They will be rotating programming in and out.

DC is owned by Warner Media, who is owned by AT&T who owns HBO Max. This is nothing but a stunt to drive up demand, similar to when Disney used to put their moves 'back into the vault'. AT&T is evil.
This is no different than any other streaming company ...
Netflix was the one that started the conglomerate of shows, good for them, it was a Great idea, till the other companies that owned those shows, spoke up and said, hey, why are we giving you our product when we can take it back and make that money.

I liked it much better with just Netflix around ... thay had a great idea, sadly, it won't last now with the major companies stepping in ...

Now we have to sub to 10 different companies, instead of 1 or 2.

Now we have to sub to 10 different companies, instead of 1 or 2
I guess saving money by cord cutting was good for people while it lasted. Now you just have to decide which programming is most important. I never was a full fledged cord cutter anyway as I live in crappy area for internet.
Launch those 4 million satellites Elon.

I guess saving money by cord cutting was good for people while it lasted. Now you just have to decide which programming is most important. I never was a full fledged cord cutter anyway as I live in crappy area for internet.

I get HBO Max for free included with my AT&T Fiber 1 Gbps connection that I only pay $50 a month for. It's on demand 1080p H.264 video with bitrates of ~8 Mbps, which is pretty good. That is definitely a lot better than channels from cable/DirecTV/Dish Network. The audio quality of HBO Max is about the same fidelity as traditional TV, 5.1 AC-3 @ 384 Kbps or 5.1 E-AC-3 @ 256 Kbps. Apparently, 4K HDR streams with Dolby Atmos audio are on the roadmap. With Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ and Hulu already offering 4K I'm sure Warner won't keep HBO Max limited to 1080p for too long.

HBO Max is waaaay better than subscribing to HBO on a cable or satellite TV provider.

I augment this with getting most traditional TV channels for free with my C-band dish, and leeching off of Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, and Hulu subscriptions paid for by other family members, as well as running my own Plex server.

Cord cutting sure has been good for me! :biggrin2

This is a million times better than the Boomer Dark Ages of paying $100+ per month for commercial filled, channel bug spammed, bitrate starved MPEG-2 garbage served up by the cable company. Good riddance to cable TV. Anyone still paying for that junk is a sucker imo.

Glad you’ve got cheap fast internet. Around here the choice is not quite so cheap OR fast, not both! :)

As to cable, well I was using them until a bit earlier this year. Was just fine with them, good PQ and AQ, good channel selection and all at a fair price. Then the bundling contract finished up and the price jumped a lot. Was paying $159 for every channel they had, including premiums and 200Mbps internet. Price went up to $219 and I switched to streaming.

Now it is $80 for 200/20 internet. $50 for ATT TV with a free year of HBO/HBO Max. Decent deal. And I’ve got Netflix, Hulu, CBS and Amazon Prime, but had those when I had cable. PQ is fine on all of them, AQ varies by service. Live streamers are mostly all stereo only, ATT TV (and Now) have some DD5.1 channels, the others don’t.

My daughter has that same problem. Using ViaSat now and today was the first time they tried and failed at watching streaming video.

I get HBO Max for free included with my AT&T Fiber 1 Gbps connection that I only pay $50 a month for. It's on demand 1080p H.264 video with bitrates of ~8 Mbps, which is pretty good. That is definitely a lot better than channels from cable/DirecTV/Dish Network. The audio quality of HBO Max is about the same fidelity as traditional TV, 5.1 AC-3 @ 384 Kbps or 5.1 E-AC-3 @ 256 Kbps. Apparently, 4K HDR streams with Dolby Atmos audio are on the roadmap. With Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ and Hulu already offering 4K I'm sure Warner won't keep HBO Max limited to 1080p for too long.

HBO Max is waaaay better than subscribing to HBO on a cable or satellite TV provider.

I augment this with getting most traditional TV channels for free with my C-band dish, and leeching off of Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, and Hulu subscriptions paid for by other family members, as well as running my own Plex server.

Cord cutting sure has been good for me! :biggrin2

This is a million times better than the Boomer Dark Ages of paying $100+ per month for commercial filled, channel bug spammed, bitrate starved MPEG-2 garbage served up by the cable company. Good riddance to cable TV. Anyone still paying for that junk is a sucker imo.

Yeah, cord cutting works great when you can pirate streaming services and not pay for it.

bitrate starved MPEG-2 garbage served up by the cable company
Just a nitpick, but most if not all channels on cable/satellite systems are now MPEG4, not MPEG2. The only MPEG2 that is widely being transmitted now is on OTA channels. Many of them are bitstarved as well, which degrade even more with MPEG2 compression.

Just a nitpick, but most if not all channels on cable/satellite systems are now MPEG4, not MPEG2.

I know for a fact that Charter and Verizon FiOS TV still mostly transcode the channels they receive to MPEG-2 on their systems. I'm sure a lot of the smaller crappier cable companies do it too. Cox, Suddenlink, and CableOne don't strike me as the kinds of companies to pay to upgrade every MPEG-2 cable box in the field to one that can do H.264. They wanna milk this cow til it's dry. Comcast is the only cable company I know that runs an all H.264 system now.

Verizon has some H.264 channels but it's more recent niche channel additions. Verizon still transcodes the staple channels to MPEG-2.

And for the channels they have in H.264, they still don't pass through the C-band feeds they receive unmolested. Verizon has the audacity to do H.264 -> H.264 transcode. They will receive a nice H.264 channel from C-band at a reasonable bitrate and they will still cut the bitrate in half and make it look like sh*t. Verizon is cutting BBC World News HD from 8 Mbps to 3.5 Mbps and Ovation HD from 8 Mbps to 4 Mbps for example.

Comcast is the worst of them all though because while they do have an all H.264 system, they re-encode EVERYTHING to 720p H.264 @ 3 Mbps. It looks like ass. And not the good kinda ass either. Hairy, sweaty man ass. Subscribing to Comcast's TV service is an unthinkable proposition to me.

Comcast is the worst of them all though because while they do have an all H.264 system, they re-encode EVERYTHING to 720p H.264 @ 3 Mbps. It looks like ass. And not the good kinda ass either. Hairy, sweaty man ass. Subscribing to Comcast's TV service is an unthinkable proposition to me.

While true, there is more to the story, they take the 1080i signal, knock it down to 720P with a low bit rate, then they pump it back to 1080i/P via their box.

Now, as many know you can now your TV channels via the Roku on Comcast’s app, it looks so much better, have no idea what resolution and bitrate they are sending but it looks so many times better then the Traditional way.

Still will not pay them for it, way overpriced as all of Traditional Video Providers are.

I believe they did reduce the price of HBO on my recent bill

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is no different than any other streaming company ...
Netflix was the one that started the conglomerate of shows, good for them, it was a Great idea, till the other companies that owned those shows, spoke up and said, hey, why are we giving you our product when we can take it back and make that money.

I liked it much better with just Netflix around ... thay had a great idea, sadly, it won't last now with the major companies stepping in ...

Now we have to sub to 10 different companies, instead of 1 or 2.

Totally different situation.

Netflix is not pulling their own content. I can't stand Netflix, but in their defense, the content they are losing is though no fault of their own and as a result of content providers creating their own streaming services. Eventually Netflix will be nothing but their own original content and c rated movies and TV shows.

AT&T is pulling content they now own...weeks after the service launched...deliberately....Big difference there.

Totally different situation.

Netflix is not pulling their own content. I can't stand Netflix, but in their defense, the content they are losing is though no fault of their own and as a result of content providers creating their own streaming services. Eventually Netflix will be nothing but their own original content and c rated movies and TV shows.

AT&T is pulling content they now own...weeks after the service launched...deliberately....Big difference there.
Big difference between owning something vs renting it.

Agreed. AT&T is acting like their douchey selves with the content they own. They suck.
Like I said before ... this is no different than any other network will do ... Isn't it Comcast that owns NBC, they were with holding NBC from someone earlier.

Every BIG company that owns shows and movies that decide to start thier own Streaming service, will pull thier content off of Netflix and any other place its available.

Look at all the Disney stuff thats not on Netflix any longer, thats the same thing that ATT has done, no different.
Except you didn't hear a big uproar when Disney did it.

Like I said before ... this is no different than any other network will do ... Isn't it Comcast that owns NBC, they were with holding NBC from someone earlier.

Every BIG company that owns shows and movies that decide to start thier own Streaming service, will pull thier content off of Netflix and any other place its available.

Look at all the Disney stuff thats not on Netflix any longer, thats the same thing that ATT has done, no different.
Except you didn't hear a big uproar when Disney did it.

Actually what Disney has done is quit selling the rights to air their content, they plan on having Disney+ ( and some content on the cable Disney channels) to be the only home for the majority of Disney content.

What AT&T are doing is still selling their content to air on other channels, for example Warner is still selling films to Netflix, the Matrix films are on there this month, Aquaman is going to be on FX after it’s run on HBO,, Justice League and Wonder Woman is on TNT ( also owned by AT&T )this month.

If AT&T is serious about HBO MAX, they would make it the only home for it’s content, much like how Netflix and Disney has done with their content.

Why can't you comprehend this?

It's is a totally different scenario.

The equivalent to what AT&T is doing would be if Netflix pulled Stranger Things for a year off of their service or Disney pulled Beauty & The Beast. Only to take them off for a given period of time to drive up demand. This is really no different than what Disney used to do with their animated movies on VHS (Back to the vault) and they were criticized for it.

Actually what Disney has done is quit selling the rights to air their content, they plan on having Disney+ ( and some content on the cable Disney channels) to be the only home for the majority of Disney content.

What AT&T are doing is still selling their content to air on other channels, for example Warner is still selling films to Netflix, the Matrix films are on there this month, Aquaman is going to be on FX after it’s run on HBO,, Justice League and Wonder Woman is on TNT ( also owned by AT&T )this month.

If AT&T is serious about HBO MAX, they would make it the only home for it’s content, much like how Netflix and Disney has done with their content.
I didn't know this, ty.
It is still possible that att will eventually make it that way ...

I didn't know this, ty.
It is still possible that att will eventually make it that way ...

There is no way they ever would, think how much bigger HBO MAX would be if it was the only home for Big Bang Theory, but it would have to give up over a billion dollars a year in syndication money, catalog content is big money still and AT&T needs every cent.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts