Loop out alternative

armadillo_115

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Virginia
I want to use an older receiver that doesn't send power to the lnb.
I plan to locate it approx 40 ft from the 'master' receiver. I believe that 40 ft would be too far to run a loop out coax?

Would the following power inserter fit the application?
Installed at the ground block at POE. Slave coax would only need to be about 12 ft there. Master receiver on the dc passing side. Slave receiver on the non passing side. (with a dc block)

Would this injector work?

I've been googling.... but more confused than ever.

EDIT: I forgot to add that my satellite positioners are stand-alone, NOT receiver controlled.

When looping through a master receiver (providing LNB power), the slave receiver is not providing LNB power.

I wouldn't think that 40' coax jumper to the slave STB would be an issue.

The satellite signal does not require power on the coax to pass to the second STB. Use a quality coax to minimize attenuation, just like you would with any satellite signal distribution.

I need to as little loss as possible on that run since the signal is already marginal. (Or I have to upgrade a coax) I thought a splitter would be best is from info I found here on site:

"Loop Through ports will typically introduce more signal loss than a high quality splitter. Also have noted signal anomalies on test receiver's Loop Through such as RF spikes / increased noise, frequency choking, etc."
@

and

"The loop-through typically introduces substantially more noise and cascades the insertion losses. Loop-through is fine for a 2nd receiver, though I always use a 2x1 - APPP (all port power passing) for my personal set-ups.

We install hundreds of 4 DVBS receiver commercial rack mount systems each year in US State and Federal prisons. These receivers are tuned to 4 channels originating on the same transponder. The signal SNR is significantly better on the 3rd and 4th receiver when a 4x1 - 1PPP (one port power passing) splitter is used instead of looping receiver tuners 1 - 2 - 3 - 4. We only approve installs completed with a splitter or multi-switch."

@ What is the "Loop Out"?

Thanks for all suggestions!

Reactions: Titanium
Power Inserter testing results:
* Used short coax cables at the den location where testing was easier. Den receiver used as 'Master' Receiver to control polarity. DC block on the Slave as a precaution.

Photo shows labeling on the inserter
HOL-HRF-PI-2.jpg

Power Inserter tested good except must be connected as follows:
lnb on DC +RF port. Master on DC port. Slave on RF only port. Signal loss appeared to be minimal.

My intuition said the lnb and Master ports should be inverted from the above.... but that ruined signal levels on the slave receiver.

I will connect the inserter between the ground block/bedroom coax, and add 15 ft of new coax to the kitchen run. Expecting good results at that location after today's prelim testing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts