Using Loop Through of S9 to connect to microHD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
Is it safe to connect my dish feedline to LNB IN port on S9, then connect LNB OUT port on S9 to the microHD LNB IN? I would then plan to disable motor and LNB voltage on S9, only using motor and LNB voltage from microHD. The purpose of this is so I can compare signal reception between S9 and microHD. If this won't work, how can I have both receivers connected to my same dish for comparing?

Loop Through ports will typically introduce more signal loss than a high quality splitter. Also have noted signal anomalies on test receiver's Loop Through such as RF spikes / increased noise, frequency choking, etc.

Last edited:
Good to know. I won't leave this as a permanent setup then. Only for initial comparison. I see the signal quality readings of S9 and microHD appear to be quite close. Anyway, S9 has funky operation when using a universal LNB as far as H and V polarity switching. Very glad to leave S9 behind.

I have never tried running my microHD as a slave, but probably would have slaved my Az Elite to the micro, if it had LNB out.

Are there any set rules when you slave a receiver to another, like, on the "master" box, should it be "ON" or "Standby"...LNB power "ON or "OFF"...if "ON", does it matter if master is on a horizontal or vertical tp?

And what kind of splitter is recommended to hook up 2 boxes?

The master receiver has LNBF power on and issues the polarity, switch and motor commands. The slave receiver only can lock access the path established by the master receiver.

If using a splitter, I recommend one rated at least 2.5ghz, minimal insertion loss and 1ppp (one port power passing) connected to the master STB.

I personally prefer an all port power passing so the one powered receiver can have complete control over polarity, path and motor. One must remember to power down the other receiver or disable the LNB power.

I personally prefer an all port power passing so the one powered receiver can have complete control over polarity, path and motor. One must remember to power down the other receiver or disable the LNB power.

This is what I do.

my azbox premium has a loop jack. i will have to find out how to disable the lnb power on it. i haven't been using the azbox since i got the microhd. i was so frustrated trying to switch between satellites and channels on a satellite. charlie

How realiable is an all port switch coming from an HH motor + 4x1 Diseqc?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

How realiable is an all port switch coming from an HH motor + 4x1 Diseqc?

Really no different than considerations on any installation. So many variables...

Loop Through loss?
Splitter loss?
Cable type?
Cable length?
Receiver 22khz/DiSEqc output level?
Switch sensitivity?
Motor sensitivity?

i have done the loop thru as described in post 1. no motors, just a lot of switches. The Q jumped up at least 5 with the openbox power.
I am thinking it is because i have some long cable runs. it made some channels play that would not beforehand.
I dont have it that way now, it made me think i should use some type of power inserter. i had this SWM power inserter i put inline, but it killed everything. So back to the drawing board.

did this loop out thing for years never any trouble till the S9 came around my house.
don't recall what happen but it was strange/new to me. and will never have a s9 looped or looping again. lol

Just bought an all port 2-way 2.5ghz switch on ebay for $3.60 shipped to try on my Azbox and x2 and or mHD.

Should of bought the 3-way but figured the 2-way has less loss... We will see how it works coming from HH120 and 4x1 Chieta "2041" Diseqc switch with about 30-40feet of RG6 Directv approved coax.

Ipad 4 + SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Got it today and works excellent with 2 units at the same time.. x2 premium or mHD and azbox elite hd.

Should of gotten a 3way but o well maybe next time. Heck for $3.60 shipped its a great deal.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)