Unable to pickup 101w

Oh it will be a week definitely. In that time you sound like an eager and smart dude.
Let's try to get you (and your dish) steered in the right direction first.
We will need to just pull that motor off the arm and put it away for the time being.
1) Make positive you have returned the dish on the pole as exact as it was before you turned it.

2) Use only the actuator screw to turn the dish in the direction that Dishpointer tells you to.

3) Have a long and straight board or something that you can put across the dish face vertically rim to rim from ground to straight up in the sky. We need that to measure and set the elevation angle.

4) Soak the dish and pole hardware with good penetrating oil. Wire brush the threads if need be. Soak them again.
Have some wrenches and long screwdriver or pry bar handy.

5) Familiarize yourself with the digital gauge. A small cube type should do just fine. And resolve to at least 0.10 degree.

6) Review the lnbf instructions so you know how to set skew angle.
We may use an alternate method and have you turn the actuator until the dish points as high in the sky as it can and then place the lnbf for 0 skew. After that, the mount geometry will take care of that.

7) And I'd suggest you prep a place to put the receiver and a monitor with hdmi inputs close to the dish with a chunk of good coax to connect the receiver/lnbf. And pray for sun and heat.
The receiver I have has a beeper and does sun and heat make it easier and what about the hook mount how do I know if it’s setup right

No. If you have the receiver close to the dish you will be able to see if you get a minimal signal.
Not sure how much the receiver needs to beep. With it close to you you will be able to see the signal creep up.
Sun and heat makes a difference for me. I mean. If you want to wait until the middle of Februrary that's cool with me.
I'll be right here by the woodstove.

If the buttonhook hasn't been moved at all by "someone" and the scalar is exactly where it was before, and the lnb throat is the same distance from the dead-nuts center of the dish as the old one was. You should be okay.
Why so partial with the photos? If you have a question please provide a picture also if it would need one to explain the situation.
It has been mentioned before. Several times.
Photos. Lots of detailed photos.
Of what you've done, touched, adjusted.
Like your bubble level photo. Kind of slap happy. 3 inches away didn't tell anyone what angle related to the dish it was oriented. Let's say you've leveled the kitchen table with the extension leaf slot. And you put a marble on it and it rolls off of the left side. You need to level the thing in every plane. Or it ain't level. Right?

Reactions: primestar31
No. If you have the receiver close to the dish you will be able to see if you get a minimal signal.
Not sure how much the receiver needs to beep. With it close to you you will be able to see the signal creep up.
Sun and heat makes a difference for me. I mean. If you want to wait until the middle of Februrary that's cool with me.
I'll be right here by the woodstove.

If the buttonhook hasn't been moved at all by "someone" and the scalar is exactly where it was before, and the lnb throat is the same distance from the dead-nuts center of the dish as the old one was. You should be okay.
Why so partial with the photos? If you have a question please provide a picture also if it would need one to explain the situation.
It has been mentioned before. Several times.
Photos. Lots of detailed photos.
Of what you've done, touched, adjusted.
Like your bubble level photo. Kind of slap happy. 3 inches away didn't tell anyone what angle related to the dish it was oriented. Let's say you've leveled the kitchen table with the extension leaf slot. And you put a marble on it and it rolls off of the left side. You need to level the thing in every plane. Or it ain't level. Right?
yes im just trying to figure out why even after adjusting it with a compass to 212 degrees and using a sat finder app ar pointing at the sky and adjusting it to 36 why it still wont lock signal so far i changed lnbf changed coaxial cable and got a reciever for it

We could answer that with more questions.
Compass to 212 degrees. And adjusting what and where did you reference 36 degrees to.
Look again on dishpointer. A compass uses magnetic north. Unless you're using a compensated surveyors transit or aircraft compass. Where did you screw up? Hint. It starts with "mag". Almost 223 degrees using that.

How about the lnb skew?
Look in your 'hood for DN or Directv dishes. Ignore the shape of the dish. Ignore the offset angle of them. Look for ones mounted in the general direction of the satellite you want to snag. Ignore the lnb mounting arm angle.
Look at the tilt, "skew" of the lnb in relation to a carpenters level placed in front of it. "Skew".

Since this is your first rodeo. Simply moving the lnb with the hold down bolts loosened 1/8" in any direction can result in total signal loss in even a perfectly aligned dish. C band especially. Ok?
You aimed it. Fine. How accurate? Using what?

I'll show you my dish mount before wire brushing and painting it. There are only a few places to reference setup angles. The polar axis and the face of the dish. Period.
Unless the local fabricator set down with each individual dish and determined the correct alignment references and put stickers on it.

Don't expect to slap a bunch of stuff on the dish and stick it in the general direction and expect for it to look right at a 'fridge out there 22,000 miles +.
Aim in the proper direction. Lnbf skew set. Lnbf distance from center of the dish set. Elevation angle set. Maybe even a touch high.
Tune the receiver to a known strong transponder.
Turn the dish on it's axis. In your case with the actuator screw, motor yanked.
Just a few degrees either way.
Give it a crank higher or lower with the elevation adjustment bolts.
Repeat.
You might have to get up on a ladder with the dish pointed exactly where it is supposed to be and wiggle the lnbf around to check if you snag a signal.

All questions answered and covered. Use the dish face for the elevation angle setting. Rim to rim top to bottom with a long straight board.
Same for the azimuth degree. Board level across the dish face with the horizon. A compass aligned perfecly on it.
Turn the actuator until it's aimed correctly E-W.

kirk out.

Attachments

• Dish_Back.jpg
    Dish_Back.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 44
Look at the instructions for this dish. The info also applies to your dish, though you'll have to translate it to your dishes specific adjustments.

Attachments

• Winegard 7.5' Quadstar.pdf
    448.3 KB · Views: 36
We could answer that with more questions.
Compass to 212 degrees. And adjusting what and where did you reference 36 degrees to.
Look again on dishpointer. A compass uses magnetic north. Unless you're using a compensated surveyors transit or aircraft compass. Where did you screw up? Hint. It starts with "mag". Almost 223 degrees using that.

How about the lnb skew?
Look in your 'hood for DN or Directv dishes. Ignore the shape of the dish. Ignore the offset angle of them. Look for ones mounted in the general direction of the satellite you want to snag. Ignore the lnb mounting arm angle.
Look at the tilt, "skew" of the lnb in relation to a carpenters level placed in front of it. "Skew".

Since this is your first rodeo. Simply moving the lnb with the hold down bolts loosened 1/8" in any direction can result in total signal loss in even a perfectly aligned dish. C band especially. Ok?
You aimed it. Fine. How accurate? Using what?

I'll show you my dish mount before wire brushing and painting it. There are only a few places to reference setup angles. The polar axis and the face of the dish. Period.
Unless the local fabricator set down with each individual dish and determined the correct alignment references and put stickers on it.

Don't expect to slap a bunch of stuff on the dish and stick it in the general direction and expect for it to look right at a 'fridge out there 22,000 miles +.
Aim in the proper direction. Lnbf skew set. Lnbf distance from center of the dish set. Elevation angle set. Maybe even a touch high.
Tune the receiver to a known strong transponder.
Turn the dish on it's axis. In your case with the actuator screw, motor yanked.
Just a few degrees either way.
Give it a crank higher or lower with the elevation adjustment bolts.
Repeat.
You might have to get up on a ladder with the dish pointed exactly where it is supposed to be and wiggle the lnbf around to check if you snag a signal.

All questions answered and covered. Use the dish face for the elevation angle setting. Rim to rim top to bottom with a long straight board.
Same for the azimuth degree. Board level across the dish face with the horizon. A compass aligned perfecly on it.
Turn the actuator until it's aimed correctly E-W.

kirk out.
So magnetic compass is 223