Loop out option?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

duchen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Because the 8000 doesn't have a blind scan (only pre-programmed coordinates in the scan feature), I had to use FTA List and Mike Kohl's list to locate some of the channels. I rely on the Yahoo backhaul group to locate backhauls, then program them in. I have located some (Cardinals baseball, ABC HD, CBS HD, NBC).

My satellite installer brought over his Coolsat 5000 Premium (when I was having a problem with the receiver Coolsat replaced for me) and I admired the 5000's the blind scan feature.

Mention was made above of slaving a unit with a blindscan feature to the 8000. How would I do that? (I have a C/KU system and use the 4DTV to switch satellites). A blindscan would be helpful for locating sports backhauls.

I think the comment @ people acquiring the 8000 or other HD receivers because they are hacking was uncalled for. I bought a Coolsat HD because I have an HD TV and think that there will be more HD FTA programming in the future. And, happily, some sports backhauls are in HD.

I commend the staff for identifying the two hackers you banned recently. You might not be lawyers, but your questioning was "dead on."

Maybe this is too many ideas in one note, but what does the "loop out" feature on the unit do?

Mention was made above of slaving a unit with a blindscan feature to the 8000. How would I do that?

... what does the "loop out" feature on the unit do?
You hit the nail on the head (and answered your own question). :cool:

Though "slaved" should more correctly be called, "daisy-chained", and then it would be self-explanatory.

If your LNB hooks to the CS-8000, and its IF Out is hooked to the LNB In of a CS-5000, or other blind-scan receiver...
The 8000 picks the dish/lnb/polarity and passes that through to the CS5K, which is then asked to do a blind scan.
(you manually push the buttons on the CS5k)
The user then takes the transponder info found by the CS5k, and manually enters it into the CS8k.

The user becomes the intelligence in the loop. :rolleyes:
Wouldn't it be so much nicer if the CS8k just did the blind scan?
...then I could get back to my bag of potato chips and not get the remote greasy. :D

And if the manufacturer thought that feature would seriously increase his share of the market he was going after, he'd have put it in!

Last edited:
I, too, wish that a full blind scan had been included in the 8000. Coolsat made a more "sophisticated" unit (e,g. High Def capable), so one thinks that they would have included a full blind scan capability. Maybe they will include it in later units if there end up being more FTA high definition channels.

Thanks for the advice. I was contemplating getting a unit with a good blind scan function to look for sports backhauls (before the football season).

When you say "IF Out," do you mean the "loop out?"

you are correct

My Satpros 500 receiver is marked: "Loop Out"
The Fortec Mercury II is labeled: "IF-OUT, loop through"
My Twinhan USB Starbox has an input and no output. **
The Twinhan 102g PCI card has "LNB OUT" *

To aid in finding whichever connector I am likely to unhook and reconnect most, I mark it.
For many years, I've used a 1/4" colored dot made with a one-hole paper punch and colored sticky labels.
I favor the day-glow red variety, though white will work fine.
Each receiver has a red dot beside: LNB-IN.

* I think - it's hard to crawl back there and read what's stamped into the metal bracket.

** plus, I repackaged it, anyway. :cool:

Thanks. :up It may seem obvious, but I had tried to connect "Loop Out" to a second TV and to my PIP. :eek:All I got was snow and feedback through my surround sound. :rolleyes: I always say that there are no stupid questions.:confused:

I am going to take your advice on the blind scan unit, too. Nice price on the internet.

Got the DBS 3500!

Anole:

I received the DBS 3500 today. Thanks for the link. Great price and fast delivery.

I use my 4DTV tolocate the satellites and the Coolsat to identify FTA channels. I have a 10 foot dish and C band.

I was debating the following for hook up of the DBS 3500:

Daisy Chaining the Traxis by connecting it to the Coolsat "loop out" as I mentioned above; or

Splitting the output from the Diseq switch into the Traxis and Coolsat; or

Running the signal (RF?) out from the 4DTV into the Traxis.

I will use RCA cables to attach the DBS 3500 to TV.

From a technical standpoint, under the second option, do I weaken or degrade the signal too much?

Is the third option just a stupid idea that will not work.

The second option has the advantage of being able to watch separate programs on 2 TV's.

Does the first option also allow me to do that also?

I think the comment @ people acquiring the 8000 or other HD receivers because they are hacking was uncalled for.

AMEN Brotha! I don't wanna hi-jack, but I MUST add my 2 cents worth here. Yes, there is a market for HD in the mal-ware world, but here's the thing.

If I had the 8000, it would let me combine my OTA HD channels with all the FTA channels in ONE UNIT!!! NO SWITCHING STUFF!!!! NO EXTRA RF MODULATORS!

I would be very happy with the unit despite the fact there isn't much FTA HD. Although there are PLENTY of sportings events in HD that are WORTH BUYING THE BOX FOR!!!! I think I may wait til the move advanced HD boxes come out that can at least allow 4:2:2, DVB-S2 and all the other non-sense. Good luck!

Duchen -

I'm not sure how to answer your question.
You might be better served in the C-band section of the forum if you are complicating the question with a 4DTV.

One rule to consider is this.
Someone (some receiver) has to control the V/H selection at the LNB.
Any other receivers should probably have their "LNB Power" turned off.
That holds true regardless which way you connect the receivers.

As to the question of splitters, I don't much care for the whole concept.
And when you use them, don't you also generally want a "DC block(er)" to the receivers that don't power the LNB?
I think that's a safety feature, if someone accidentally screws up the receiver settings.
...or it might be an old concept from when receivers may not have been able to turn off their LNB power.

I'm just giving you more questions, not answers, but at least you'll know what you don't know. :rolleyes:

...and as for the other matter, if you see a male under 30, sitting in a hot car, do you make any assumptions about his driving habits?
What if the same guy is parked in an old station wagon, or a stock '72 beetle?
Yea, some old guys have the hot cars, and maybe they drive better (or not).

Last edited:
Techno 35:

We Gators think alike!

BTW: There are a number of sports backhauls in HD as well. But, I am sure the later HD FTA boxes will have blind scan and other beels and whistles.

My biggest problem is that my system does not receive AMC 2; even the C/KU band is not very good. I think that is the satellite where the Gator backhauls are (based on my research in the Yahoo backhaul group archives). (I think it is an alignment issue).

Anole:

I went with the daisy chain concept because it seems the easiest. I realized yesterday it gets the job done in the same way as my other ideas. since I have 1 dish it still needs to be pointed at the same satellite serving the Coolsat anyway and I can still see different "channels" with the DBS 3500.

I will have to turn off the "LNB Power" on the DBS 3500 when I get home today (something else to figure out). Thanks.

I already found some new channels (e.g. that i did not find before with the charts, for whatever reason) with the blind scan, including
the MY TV SD and HD feed on Galaxy 26 (which were FTA last night).

Meanwhile, what a nice unit for a great price ($82, including Fed Ex ground)! Although it has coax and RCA video outputs (with digital sound output) instead of component outputs, the blind scan feature is very fast. It augments the Coolsat 8000 very well.

techno935:

the Yahoo Backhaul group is(http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/backhaul/

A bunch of FTA'ers who look for sports etc. Once you find the location, the broadcasters tend to repeat the locations. I have the ABC National and NBC National Hi Def feeds saved.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)