Losing 101 again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VewDew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Northern California
Ok, I thought I had it fixed by installing a new 6x8 switch but that didn't do it.

Here is the problem: I lose transponders off 101 during the day (it just started losing them at about 12:10 Pacific time) but they come back on later in the evening. Is something overheating? I am at a loss and by far NOT an engineer. Any help would be much appreciated!

Ok, I thought I had it fixed by installing a new 6x8 switch but that didn't do it.

Here is the problem: I lose transponders off 101 during the day (it just started losing them at about 12:10 Pacific time) but they come back on later in the evening. Is something overheating? I am at a loss and by far NOT an engineer. Any help would be much appreciated!

It does sound like a heat issue, or maybe moisture. Have you checked all of your connections?

What raoul said, make sure the stingers are long enough, if you have an area where the cable is stretched, sometimes heat wil make the insulation soft enough for the cable to get [stretched out] longer, but the stinger stays the same size, so the stinger doesn't contact properly until it cools off and the insulation shrinks and then the stinger can reach again.

What raoul said, make sure the stingers are long enough, if you have an area where the cable is stretched, sometimes heat wil make the insulation soft enough for the cable to get [stretched out] longer, but the stinger stays the same size, so the stinger doesn't contact properly until it cools off and the insulation shrinks and then the stinger can reach again.

I never heard them called stingers. That's a good name, very descriptive!

Or a bad connector/cable on the 13VDC input to the multiswitch. Try swapping around the inputs on the multiswitch and see if the problem remains on that satellite or moves to another one.

I switched it and the problem moved to another satellite. So it sounds like the cable run is bad?

And since noone mentioned it, check all cables and connections.

I checked all connections inside (the switch is inside my house) and they are all fine, even the "stinger" on the bad cable, unfortunately I have a two story house and my dish is on my roof and I am afraid of heights. I guess I will have to call someone out to take a look at it.

First off, thanks for all the help I received from you fine folks!

I just wanted to update you so that if this happens to anyone else they will know what it is.

It ended up being an LNB. They replaced it today and all is back to normal!

Thanks again.

I switched it and the problem moved to another satellite. So it sounds like the cable run is bad?

First off, thanks for all the help I received from you fine folks!

I just wanted to update you so that if this happens to anyone else they will know what it is.

It ended up being an LNB. They replaced it today and all is back to normal!

Thanks again.

So it was a bad port on the LNB? I'm glad to hear that they got it working for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts