Losing Faith In Direct TV - HELP ! ! !

Status
Please reply by conversation.
have you tried contacting the customer advocacy team? the link is listed on the investor relations page. they always helped me when csr's couldn't.

I have now

have you tried contacting the customer advocacy team? the link is listed on the investor relations page. they always helped me when csr's couldn't.

Thanks. I was not aware of that method of contact. I found it, used it and will see what happens, hopefully hearing back from them tomorrow (Monday).

Call them and tell them it finally died. Won't power up, dead. Ask them to ship you a new one. You may not get an HR24, but anything will probably be better than what you have. If you have the PP plan it's free, if not, it's $20 for shipping. No additional commitment for replacement of a leased box. They will send you a box to ship the old one back. Problem resolved.

Call them and tell them it finally died. Won't power up, dead. Ask them to ship you a new one. You may not get an HR24, but anything will probably be better than what you have. If you have the PP plan it's free, if not, it's $20 for shipping. No additional commitment for replacement of a leased box. They will send you a box to ship the old one back. Problem resolved.

That's what I think I'm going to do. Seriously. That definitely crossed my mind last night when I'd press a button on the remote, wait and wait till the DVR responded, if it responded at all. Seriously, it got really bad and I gave up, managed to get to a few recorded shows I had, watched them, and then switched over to roof antenna and watched OTA channels. I'm reluctant to even turn the DVR on today because if things are the same as last night there may be nothing but PIECES of a DVR to return to them. The danged things (remote/HDDVR) work really good at times, same as it has worked for nearly 3 years. But, most of the time, I press a button and on the remote and OH SO SLOW or even NOTHING (happens). Uverse is a last resort and I can try it for one month (no obligations) and, hopefully, some solution from DTV will happen so I don't have to change permanently. It'll also give me a chance to compare Uverse to DTV. I have 2 big screen LCD's in my living room (basketball on one TV, football on the other TV, whatever). Right now, one TV connected to OTA antenna and other TV connected to both OTA antenna and DTV dish. 2 of my neighbors have Uverse and they are perfectly happy with it. Me? I was happy with DTV. I say, "was". Right now though, it won't work right and I won't continue to pay for equipment and/or service that does not do what it's supposed to do. (Is it possible that there is some DTV software problem that affects some customers but not others? One of the DTV Customer Service reps I spoke with mentioned software and another Customer Rep told me that my problem would be fixed "gradually, but not immediately". I did not ask them to elaborate at the time so am wondering if there is maybe a software bug and they just won't admit it so I will have to pay as usual). Heck with it. At least the beer is cold.

That's what I think I'm going to do. Seriously. That definitely crossed my mind last night when I'd press a button on the remote, wait and wait till the DVR responded, if it responded at all. Seriously, it got really bad and I gave up, managed to get to a few recorded shows I had, watched them, and then switched over to roof antenna and watched OTA channels. I'm reluctant to even turn the DVR on today because if things are the same as last night there may be nothing but PIECES of a DVR to return to them. The danged things (remote/HDDVR) work really good at times, same as it has worked for nearly 3 years. But, most of the time, I press a button and on the remote and OH SO SLOW or even NOTHING (happens). Uverse is a last resort and I can try it for one month (no obligations) and, hopefully, some solution from DTV will happen so I don't have to change permanently. It'll also give me a chance to compare Uverse to DTV. I have 2 big screen LCD's in my living room (basketball on one TV, football on the other TV, whatever). Right now, one TV connected to OTA antenna and other TV connected to both OTA antenna and DTV dish. 2 of my neighbors have Uverse and they are perfectly happy with it. Me? I was happy with DTV. I say, "was". Right now though, it won't work right and I won't continue to pay for equipment and/or service that does not do what it's supposed to do. (Is it possible that there is some DTV software problem that affects some customers but not others? One of the DTV Customer Service reps I spoke with mentioned software and another Customer Rep told me that my problem would be fixed "gradually, but not immediately". I did not ask them to elaborate at the time so am wondering if there is maybe a software bug and they just won't admit it so I will have to pay as usual). Heck with it. At least the beer is cold.

I agree with others that it's probably a hard drive failure. You could run disk diagnostics to check, but I would just tell them it's dead. Tech support assumes customers are dumb, and makes everyone go through a bunch of hoops before they will agree to replace the box. You might get lucky and get an HR24 for a replacement.......

1. we cant order specific model numbers
2. we cant order specific model numbers
3. oh yeah we cant order specific model numbers

probably the hd in the dvr going bad replacing the unit with any model will fix your problem.

Problem Fixed?

After emailing these guys (advocacy team) Sunday, I got a call from Direct TV at about 9 AM this morning and again explained my problem. Was asked to turn on TV & DVR, then was asked to use remote to switch to CH 245. No response. Then was asked to UNPLUG DVR. Waited (with DVR unplugged) while something (?) was done on THEIR end. Then, asked to plug in DVR, waited for warm-up and RESET (several minutes wait as you probably know) and then picture came on like normal. Tried remote and response was fast ("fast" meaning like it worked for the first 3-years I've had it). Tried several different menu options and response was fast. So, are things back to normal ? ? ? Only time will tell. I explained to the man that at times the response is fast but that other times the response is slow or even no response at all. So, I'll just have to see what happens tonight when I turn on TV/DVR and try to watch as I normally do. I was given a NAME and PHONE No. to call if problem continues. So, thanks for all the suggestions. Hope this is a done deal and all is back to normal. Will see.

Would have been very doubtful to get the HR24, I think only new customers and people that actually buy them to get them. I was having the same problem with mine slow very slow took anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to change channels, DirecTV send me a replacement receiver (same model R22) The first one they sent me looked like it had been thrown across the floor several times and was touched up with black permanent marker, I called DirecTV and told them this was unacceptable & told them I understood the replacement receivers they sent where refurbished units but I was not going to accept the 1 they sent me. They sent me a 2nd one and it looked much better. The only differences I see between the two models is the one i had was an R22 - 100 and the new one i Have is an R22 - 200 ( i think the only difference there is the manufacturer) Some of the buttons/lights on the front looked slightly different. The BIGGEST problem I have out of the refurbed unit is the remote controller has to be like aimed directly at the receiver for it to work, my old receiver would work from the side or back or anywhere almost, this is not the case with the refurbed unit. Any suggestions? Or any answers as to why it might be doing this? I mean this isn't the worst of problems that could be wrong with it, just kinda of irritating since im used to my other one working so well in this aspect.

The R22s don't have the rf option, do they?

May have to try that cold reboot on my HR21-100. Beginning just a few weeks ago, it slowed down. I hit the "List" button and wait for 6 to 8 seconds for my list of recordings to appear. Switching the channels has never been fast, but last night it took 12 seconds to switch from one HD channel to another HD channel. Definitely slower than it used to be.

Would have been very doubtful to get the HR24, I think only new customers and people that actually buy them to get them.

Not true... Had issues with my HR20 and the tech came out and swapped it with a HR24. Been with them for a few years, so I think it's just what is on hand/available.

Back to Normal ?

I mentioned in last post that I had a phone call from Direct TV advocacy team man early Monday morning (06 Dec). He had me unplug my DVR, did some stuff at their end, and turn DVR back on. Monday afternoon I turned on TV & DVR to watch shows recorded in past 24-hours, and news, etc. SO MUCH BETTER now. Last night (Monday), I did enough "surfing" and "working out" of the remote to have high hopes my problem has gone away. Response time is back to normal, same as it was for the first few years and never had any problem till I turned off around 11 PM. Now, when I press a button on the remote, the blue GUIDE light on the DVR flashes instantly and, within a few seconds, the TV screen is showing the change I pressed.
Knock on wood . . . .

Oh, it did not last

Well, that is good news.....hope it lasts!

Worked fine Monday night. Turned on about 5:30 PM Tuesday and it worked fine for a while and then was sluggish (slow or no response), then got even worse. Some times no response at all. Also, had a bunch of HD recordings that were breaking up (fractured, whatever the term) and decided to record some more HD programs and watch at the same time. Turns out it's not just the recordings but the live show that is doing that. NO, definitely not the weather. We are having clear, blue skies and has been that way for a while yet so many of my HD recordings were scrapped because of the constant breaking up of the picture. That had been a problem along with the slow response and continues. Will call advocacy team again Tuesday and tell them either replace DVR or I quit.
Question for anybody: Is switching DVR's just a matter of disconnecting one and connecting up the other? In other words, will the new one just work from the "Get-go" after connecting-powering up or do I have to feed in a lot of information of some sort or another? I may just buy another HR-24 DVR rather than switch to Uverse. Actually, I'd settle for another HR-21 if the bleeping thing works.

Worked fine Monday night. Turned on about 5:30 PM Tuesday and it worked fine for a while and then was sluggish (slow or no response), then got even worse. Some times no response at all. Also, had a bunch of HD recordings that were breaking up (fractured, whatever the term) and decided to record some more HD programs and watch at the same time. Turns out it's not just the recordings but the live show that is doing that. NO, definitely not the weather. We are having clear, blue skies and has been that way for a while yet so many of my HD recordings were scrapped because of the constant breaking up of the picture. That had been a problem along with the slow response and continues. Will call advocacy team again Tuesday and tell them either replace DVR or I quit.
Question for anybody: Is switching DVR's just a matter of disconnecting one and connecting up the other? In other words, will the new one just work from the "Get-go" after connecting-powering up or do I have to feed in a lot of information of some sort or another? I may just buy another HR-24 DVR rather than switch to Uverse. Actually, I'd settle for another HR-21 if the bleeping thing works.
it will need to be activated and repeat satellite setup

Swap out the old for the new dvr, after power up it will download the latest software, call Directv to authorize, then you are good to go. The whole process takes 15-20 minutes, maybe a little more.

Swap out the old for the new dvr, after power up it will download the latest software, call Directv to authorize, then you are good to go. The whole process takes 15-20 minutes, maybe a little more.

Well, called them again today and now have a replacement DVR heading my way. While speaking to this advocacy team person today I was reminded that I had replaced an earlier DVR with this current one. Did not remember that fact at all but now vaguely do recall that. Can't even remember why I had to have a replacement. Certainly don't remember any details as to setting it up. Usually, if something requires more than a few simple cables/connectors, a power cord and power switch, I have to have help. Got a former Compaq (now HP) engineer across the street if need be.

While shopping (on the internet) for a new DVR with the thought of BUYING one in mind, I used Google Search - Shopping, typed in "HR24". It showed prices of $120 at "3 stores" and prices of $188 at "7 stores". Then, using Google Shopping I typed in "HR21". That showed prices of $375 at "10 stores". So, if the HR24 is the preferred & later model, why is it less expensive? Just wondering . . .

Well, called them again today and now have a replacement DVR heading my way. While speaking to this advocacy team person today I was reminded that I had replaced an earlier DVR with this current one. Did not remember that fact at all but now vaguely do recall that. Can't even remember why I had to have a replacement. Certainly don't remember any details as to setting it up. Usually, if something requires more than a few simple cables/connectors, a power cord and power switch, I have to have help. Got a former Compaq (now HP) engineer across the street if need be.

While shopping (on the internet) for a new DVR with the thought of BUYING one in mind, I used Google Search - Shopping, typed in "HR24". It showed prices of $120 at "3 stores" and prices of $188 at "7 stores". Then, using Google Shopping I typed in "HR21". That showed prices of $375 at "10 stores". So, if the HR24 is the preferred & later model, why is it less expensive? Just wondering . . .

It sounds like you were on the Amazon site, their prices for new and used run the gambit. Two things, make sure that Directv acknowledges the dvr you are returning is defective, otherwise you will get a new two year commitment, and no matter where you get it from, it will be a lease, not a purchase.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts