Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

And if my experience is typical, don't waste time trying to get the $20 credit (instead of the standard $10) if they initially deny you. I wasted an hour this morning and couldn't get them to budge, even after being transferred to "loyalty".

Well, I guess everyone is content with their switch to AT200? I don't see very many people saying that they did anything else......

Well, I wasn't all that happy with that arrangement. I was on absolute/HBO and switched to DirecTV with MRV and Choice Extra/HBO . I'm not 'unhappy' with DishNetwork and understand why they had to do it but I've been waiting on them to get a duo DVR to do TV2 in HD ever since I upgraded to HD several years ago. The absolute price was too cheap to justify the jump to DirecTV when they started their MRV last summer but now the base price between the two is virtually the same for my interests and the price over a two year contract with DirecTV vs the DishNetwork retention offers actually had DirecTV cheaper. Was a no-brainer for me.

I did the Cosco exploit deal with the referral to get the best deal and already have the $180 Cosco card and my DirecTV shows the $10/mo referral discount.

By the way, MRV is great. DirecTV's HD picture is much better. Those two alone are significant enough to be worth switching and while there are some things I'll miss about my vip722, there are a lot of things I really like about the HR24s. Very happy with the switch. This isn't to say I can't understand why someone would find a better deal for them with DishNetwork, just saying I'm one that wasn't happy with their 'offer'.

Now, cue the DirecTV hate posts...

Your right about this for the channels but with what I have now-granted the significant reduction in HD channels, I will still be paying about $30.00 less each month for the channels that we mostly watch. I figured since they decided to stick it to us Absolute people, why should I give DISH $360 more per year-I DON'T THING SO!!!

What level do you have to have to get the EPIX channels? Those are the two I actually watch on a regular basis. I don't care about Starz since it's all available through Netflix Instant.

Well, I guess everyone is content with their switch to AT200? I don't see very many people saying that they did anything else......
We were without electric service for almost a day (due to ice storm) and had other priorities :). I don't foresee myself keeping AT200 because of the price. I'll be contacting Dish soon.

I think that with AT200 you will have almost everything you had with Absolute, with the notable exception of National Geographic. You will, however, pick up some big channels, such as Fox News and your regional sports networks and a few others. The more you move down from 200, the more you lose channels you had with Absolute.

If you're okay with losing a few channels, you might want to check out this very useful Dish America chart:

DISH America - DISH Network

It looks like the Silver package + Platinum would get you the vast majority of the good Absolute channels.
Just taken a quick look no FX or BBC, so for me I would have to pass. :(

what's funny is I just canceled yesterday and they are already emailing me promos because they "want me back" (with a 2 year term of course)

no thanks dish, you had your chance to keep me, offer me the same deal you were offering other people, instead you refused to work with me even though I've been a customer since you sucked up Voom...

Just had a very nice conversation with the customer loyalty department.
I ended up going with AT250 in order to keep all of my old Absolute Channels, including NatGeo, Science, Planet Green, and also to get some other channels, like Fox Soccer, Encore, etc.
They did give me the $20 off for the first 6 month deal that others are getting, free Starz for 12 months and a couple of pay-pre-view coupons on top. I kept the auto-pay in effect.

Even though my bill will be much higher than it was with Absolute, I think this is a reasonable offer, taking into account all the new channels I will be getting. So, I decided to stay with Dish... at least for the next 12 months. ;)

The Starz BRIGHT orange HUGE logo on their channels (a foot wide on my projector screen) will lead us to never actually watch the channel, even though Dish gave it to us free for the year... when will the programmers learn? Bad choices such as these have GOT to be hurting their bottom line.

And if my experience is typical, don't waste time trying to get the $20 credit (instead of the standard $10) if they initially deny you. I wasted an hour this morning and couldn't get them to budge, even after being transferred to "loyalty".

I got it. All I had to do was try to change the program package on line. The calculator showed the 2 credits so all I had to do was tell the agent what had happened there. The thing is I can't get the 30th anniversary free movies but I will try again later. Also the Playboy in Espanol is still showing in red so will have to have that fixed. Even though probably won't watch it much.

Now I will be paying for the Welcome Package+Encore for $14.99/monthly but also getting Starz for the year. So instead of paying DISH $29/month for Absolute, I pay $14.99 for the channels I mostly watched including Starz. (I'll miss the HD package but at least I was able to get most of what we watched for less money)

I wonder if you could still get the free HD for life and free Platinum HD with the Welcome Package?

Went on chat to ask about my rsn. He said I don't live an area with a rsn. I told him I lived near St. Louis. He checked and supposedly added it and Big Ten. I'll check when I get home. I also asked about Starz. He offered Max for a month. Asked again about Starz. He checked and added it which I verified by logging onto my account.

I have a 722 in dual mode and one in 722K in single mode; I also have a 211K. I got LatinoMAX, HD free for life, Platinum, Starz, Encore, and Cinemax (.01) for $61.99 total including DVR and extra receiver fees. Considering the DUO cost me $17, I think I got a good deal. They started charging me a $6DVR fee , but I got it reversed.

I have a 722 in dual mode and one in 722K in single mode; I also have a 211K. I got LatinoMAX, HD free for life, Platinum, Starz, Encore, and Cinemax (.01) for $61.99 total including DVR and extra receiver fees. Considering the DUO cost me $17, I think I got a good deal. They started charging me a $6DVR fee , but I got it reversed.

How is that? We all have to pay a $6 DVR fee.

LatinoMax 57.99
extra 722 17.00
extra 21 7.00
dvr fee 6.00
----------------------
dvr fee -6.00 how????

so you got $20 off for how long? 6 months? 12 months?

I removed the $6 DVR fee so you won’t see a credit on the account, the charge just won’t be there. Unfortunately the HD Absolute package has been completely removed for good and can’t even have grandfathered on the accounts. The cheapest package for the Dish Latino Max would be $61.99 including all the additional receiver fees, hd for life and platinum for the year. Normal price would be around $100 and the cheapest package I could get the bill to for the Dish Latino Dos would be $49.99 including all the additional receiver fees, hd for life and platinum for the year. Normaly price would be around $88.

Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 12:00 PM

Subject: Re: HD Absolute price.

Hello,

Just do LatinoMax. DISH Mexico - Spanish TV Channels & Satellite TV - DISH Network says $52.99
So I can't get Absolute + Locals? That will keep me for sure. With my bill doubling it's hard. TV is my only distraction and I can't work. So do I get the credits and noticed I am no longer being given a $6 DVR credit, which supposed to be for life since they sent a 722 instead of 222 or something. In summary, what is the best you can do for me? I don't just have one TV.

Credits + HD free 4 life + Platinum free

I didn't want to post my deal because I knew people may doubt it. I said my specialty is to get stuff 4 less, not satellites. I would trade it all for better health. I was also offered the Dos for $49.99+tax total.

Last edited:
what exactly is the dvr fee for? I've had dvr for three years with Dish. Never had that fee before. Was it included in the absolute price?

I didn't want to post my deal because I knew people may doubt it. I said my specialty is to get stuff 4 less, not satellites. I would trade it all for better health.

I didn't and don't doubt it. I just wanted to know how. I still have yet to try it, and I'm looking for the same package and deal you got.

I see you got the DVR fee removed because of a DISH error. Won't work for the rest of us.

Who did you contact? (Please PM me if you don't want to post it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)