Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

Since I own my receivers, does anyone know if programming saved to an external hard drive is still playable on a Dish VIP722k after your Dish subscription lapses? I have 10 terabytes of programming that will keep the LCD humming if this is the situation.

Anyone know the answer to this question? I'm in the same situation.

Yes it will work! For how long, I don't know, But the 2 weeks from the time my 722 got sent back it worked.

Anyone have a definitive answer if you can watch beyond 2 weeks, like as long as you own the equipment????

yaz, the thing to do is unhook the satellite coax, so that when Dish sends the "kill" hit to the receiver, it won't reach it. Is that definitive? NO, but others have reported success. IIRC, Haller had some success.

For me, the channel that I switched to DN for was the NFL Network, and when it was included on the HD Absolute, I jumped on it. (TWC, I hate you!) My dilemma is that NFLN is on the AT200 package and above, and yeah for the first year it won't make a huge difference, and I would get a lot more than I got before, but probably won't watch. NFLN is included on all the Directv packages, but if I switch, I'll have an orphaned sling adapter.

I expect a call soon, but just wondering how many subs are actually affected? HD Absolute is a money loser for Dish, but it held me as a customer for years, instead of switching.

I took my 722 camping one weekend and had an Direct LNB by mistake, so I could not get a signal. . When I hooked up the EHD, so that I could watch prerecorded movies. The MY Media did not show up in the recorded area, so I could not watch movies from the EHD, but you could transfer them back to the 722 and watch them off of its hard drive before disconnecting service.

if not search the net for a way to burn the ehd to dvd

I took my 722 camping one weekend and had an Direct LNB by mistake, so I could not get a signal. . When I hooked up the EHD, so that I could watch prerecorded movies. The MY Media did not show up in the recorded area, so I could not watch movies from the EHD, but you could transfer them back to the 722 and watch them off of its hard drive before disconnecting service.

Thanks for the replies, but I have over 10 EHD's full of programs...so I'll have to see.

I just got off a call to the "special" 800 number listed in the letter.

The menu maze I had to go through was the standard Dish Network menus, so I don't think the number is anything special, nor from my conversation with the CSR did I get the impression that he was "specially" trained, at least in the matter of transitioning subs from HD Absolute to another package.

He implied to me that the best thing to do was to wait until my programming transitioned to AT200 on February 1 and then decide whether to keep it or change to another package.

I was told that on February 1, 2011 I would be automatically transitioned to AT200 programming package along with HD free for life, HD Platinum free for the next 12 months and a credit on my bill for 12 months.

When I pressed his as to the amount of the monthly credit he was rather vague saying that the exact amount was yet to be determined but it would be $10-15. I asked about this twice and received the same answer both times.

Since this is what I had planned to do anyway, I guess I'll wait until closer to Feb. 1 and call back to see if they have changed anything.

We are disappointed to lose HD Absolute, but we will also gain a few things like our Fox News, RSN's (occasionally in HD) plus Nickelodeon and the Disney channels (in SD) for my 8 year old grandson to watch instead of that horrid Cartoon Network. He stayed a couple of hours at my office just before Christmas break and was thrilled to be able to watch Disney stuff even for that short while.

I'll not keep Platinum after the free 12 months is up, but I'll have to decide whether to drop to AT120+ in Feb. 2012.

About the only channels of consequence I'd lose would be CBSC, WGN (Cubs and White SOX) and NFL Network, we might jump up to 200 in the fall for NFL football then drop back in December when their broadcasts are over.

That would be pricing going from my present $61 per month to about $91 per month to keep AT200.

Last edited:
50%, but that is the difference between my January 2011 price and the February 2012 price IF I decide to keep AT200, probably will drop to AT120+ which is only $20 more per month in 2012 than my HD Absolute is now.

We have had a 3-4 year run of very good programming at bargain basement prices - nothing lasts forever.

3/11/2008 (1032 days) That is when I jumped on the absolute wagon, this was just shortly after that promotion started.
From reading these posts there are many who make it sound like absolute has been offered for many, many, years. 2/1/11 will only be 3yrs........RIP ABSOLUTE, too bad at such a young package. :(

Edit....Wife just handed me my letter from dish.

Last edited:
50%, but that is the difference between my January 2011 price and the February 2012 price IF I decide to keep AT200, probably will drop to AT120+ which is only $20 more per month in 2012 than my HD Absolute is now.

We have had a 3-4 year run of very good programming at bargain basement prices - nothing lasts forever.

I don't think I want to check my mailbox today. :(

Got my letter! :rant:

Don't forget the Latino Dos and Latino Max package options. They offer some HD channels that the smaller English packages do not, at a lesser price.

He implied to me that the best thing to do was to wait until my programming transitioned to AT200 on February 1 and then decide whether to keep it or change to another package.

When I pressed his as to the amount of the monthly credit he was rather vague saying that the exact amount was yet to be determined but it would be $10-15. I asked about this twice and received the same answer both times.

Since when has Dish ever planned anything. They send out letters to (8,000) people and have not even decided how much discount they are going to give or trained their CSRs on the plan.(What Plan).

When they cut off my Absolute package, then I will respond. Until then I am doing nothing. NOTHING!!!!!

Just got my letter.
Oh well, guess I'll just wait till the first of next month and see what they do.

But my neighbor got his yesterday and he called in and started arguing with them.(he's a hot head) When he told them just to cancel the service now. They sent him to another department and they offered him the same offer as in the letter but with a $20 credit for 12 months plus free starz for 3 months.
He canceled anyway. But wouldn't that offer make it almost the same as what most of us pay now?
That seems fair to me.
He's really pissed now because he has to send back three receivers on his own dime.
I told him to be glad they didn't ask for the LNB back and the switches.

I will be in a holding pattern until I see what my bill is in Feb, they will automatically switch me to top-200, hd free for life and hd plat. free for next 12 months (just like everyone else I assume per the letter I got)

once I see what the actual credit is and how much my bill will go up, I will make a decision...I only have one hd dvr receiver so not a lot of extras going on...that being said, I imagine my bill is going up even with a credit

Just got my letter.
Oh well, guess I'll just wait till the first of next month and see what they do.

But my neighbor got his yesterday and he called in and started arguing with them.(he's a hot head) When he told them just to cancel the service now. They sent him to another department and they offered him the same offer as in the letter but with a $20 credit for 12 months plus free starz for 3 months.
He canceled anyway. But wouldn't that offer make it almost the same as what most of us pay now?
That seems fair to me.
He's really pissed now because he has to send back three receivers on his own dime.
I told him to be glad they didn't ask for the LNB back and the switches.

Yep, he's a hothead allright. I'm waiting until my DirecTV is installed and working before I cancel my Dish...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)