Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

I'm another of the Absouters who is jumping ship. I called Dish to see what they would offer me and I received the standard $10 off the AT200 offer. I told them about the deal I would get with Direct and the CSR asked when I wanted to cancel Dish, since they couldn't come close to matching it.

With the friend referral and online discounts, I'll only pay $39.99 per month for first year (whole house HD DVR with 2 TVs) for the Choice Extra (incl. HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz for 3 months) and about the same as AT200 for the second year. Plus I will receive a $180 gift card from Costco. Not too bad, I think. My only regret (and it's heartbreaking for me) is that I'll have to sell the Sling Adapter on eBay and not be able to watch on my iPad. Oh well, I'm the only one in the house that uses that feature. Maybe I'll investigate getting a stand alone Slingbox plus an iPad app?

I'm surprised at the skepticism of U-Verse. I've been debating if it is because this is a satellite forum or because their cell network stinks or what.

They won JD Power & Associates' awards for their service & Consumer Reports rates then #2 (behind Verizon Fios) way ahead of #8 Dish Network... I guess I'll find out soon myself.

I don't think that has anything at all to do with it, ppl in the forum are more concerned about quality than they are about delivery :)

as far as awards go...that doesn't mean much...I will be curious to see what you think

There's nothing on tv worth more than $40/mo. There comes a point for me where I just say 'to hell with all of it'.

I think I've about hit that point, we have netflix already and use that for movies and streaming...I'm thinking if I rented the shows I watch off amazon or something it would still be cheaper than $40/month

I finally got the letter. And I have email contact with someone from the CEO office (from past HD Absolute problems) that did confirm that if we do nothing the package will be changed automatically "Due to changes in our programming contracts".

I will probably go with Top 120 & Platinum because I like the 722 DVR & external HDD. I cannot afford Tivo box right now and just don't like D* or Comcast hardware/interface. Bill goes up and I loose some of my favorite channels.

I will probably go with Top 120 & Platinum because I like the 722 DVR & external HDD. I cannot afford Tivo box right now and just don't like D* or Comcast hardware/interface. Bill goes up and I loose some of my favorite channels.
Wow someone else who doesn't like the hardware that was toughed by the hands of god, according to some. :eek::rolleyes:

I'm staying put until I'm changed, unless I can get:
Dish America Silver
Free Platinum HD for 12 (or more) months
Free HD for life
$10-$15 credit for 12 months.

Another chat last night didn't prove helpful with a CSR online.

I'm staying put until I'm changed, unless I can get:
Dish America Silver
Free Platinum HD for 12 (or more) months
Free HD for life
$10-$15 credit for 12 months.

Another chat last night didn't prove helpful with a CSR online.

Everything I've read here & there is not to do a thing until 2-1 or you will regret it. I'm about to go Latino as the Max pack they have is better than HD Gold and AT 250. It cost less than the either the Gold or the AT 200 and even when the price goes up will still be less than those (as all are going up at same time). Those afraid of Latino packages well only the the Spanish channels are in Spanish. So viva for the Espanol packs even for gringos. :D

Everything I've read here & there is not to do a thing until 2-1 or you will regret it. I'm about to go Latino as the Max pack they have is better than HD Gold and AT 250. It cost less than the either the Gold or the AT 200 and even when the price goes up will still be less than those (as all are going up at same time). Those afraid of Latino packages well only the the Spanish channels are in Spanish. So viva for the Espanol packs even for gringos. :D

You're welcome! :D

Received a letter from Comcast, saying that I as a new customer can get the digital preferred TV and performance Internet for 59.99 for 12 months. No contract is required. That's $10 cheaper than what I currently pay for absolute+verizon DSL. Mostly important, the digital preferred TV has the tennis channel that only top DA/AT would offer and I don't want to loose. I believe the offer is regional. If you'd like to check if it's available to you, you can call this number 1-877-253-4399.

I've learned and saved a lot by reading this forum. I'll be off for a year. Will definitely check back if I jump back to dish. Good luck to you all!!

Received a letter from Comcast, saying that I as a new customer can get the digital preferred TV and performance Internet for 59.99 for 12 months. No contract is required. That's $10 cheaper than what I currently pay for absolute+verizon DSL. Mostly important, the digital preferred TV has the tennis channel that only top DA/AT would offer and I don't want to loose. I believe the offer is regional. If you'd like to check if it's available to you, you can call this number 1-877-253-4399.

I've learned and saved a lot by reading this forum. I'll be off for a year. Will definitely check back if I jump back to dish. Good luck to you all!!

Good Luck w/ that Motorola DVR.

I called to see what my options were with NHL CI before I made a decision on staying or leaving. Turns out I had no options -- if I wanted to see the CI programming (that I have fully paid for) for the balance of the season, I had to subscribe to a qualifying package. Of course I protested that I currently have a qualifying package, but Dish has decided to take it away from me on Feb. 1. There was little or no sympathy and they ABSOLUTELY (sorry, Freudian slip) refused to give me any refund for the second half of the hockey season.

I subscribed to Dish when Voom went boom and Dish picked up some of the Voom channels. Now they are gone.
I stayed with Dish because they provided a great new package -- HD Only -- later to become HD Absolute. Now it is gone.
Now I am gone.

I have a scheduled Directv installation for 1/24. I will save money over the next two years and it looks like I will pretty much draw even in year 3 and beyond. I will gain some things that are pretty important to me -- MLB network (which Dish will NEVER get), full time HD RSN's and an NHL CI package with twice the number of HD games shown on Dish.

I have enjoyed my years with Dish through 2010, but unfortunately, things took a turn for the worse in 2011....

Last edited:
I called to see what my options were with NHL CI before I made a decision on staying or leaving. Turns out I had no options -- if I wanted to see the CI programming (that I have fully paid for) for the balance of the season, I had to subscribe to a qualifying package. Of course I protested that I currently have a qualifying package, but Dish has decided to take it away from me on Feb. 1. There was little or no sympathy and they ABSOLUTELY (sorry, Freudian slip) refused to give me any refund for the second half of the hockey season.

I subscribed to Dish when Voom went boom and Dish picked up some of the Voom channels. Now they are gone.
I stayed with Dish because they provided a great new package -- HD Only -- later to become HD Absolute. Now it is gone.
Now I am gone.

I have a scheduled Directv installation for 1/24. I will save money over the next two years and it looks like I will pretty much draw even in year 3 and beyond. I will gain some things that are pretty important to me -- MLB network (which Dish will NEVER get), full time HD RSN's and an NHL CI package with twice the number of HD games shown on Dish.

I have enjoyed my years with Dish through 2010, but unfortunately, things took a turn for the worse in 2011....

Big Flash: Big sports fan is going to D*. Sounds like its' time since sports is big w/ D*. Hope you like it.

Why is it that some people act bitter about other people making choices other than DishNetwork?

I had received my letter early on and called the day after receiving the letter. The CSR new little about what was going on and stumbled to provide me with solid information. I have been waiting for my phone call which I received just minutes ago. I switched to Dish America Gold with the free Platinum for 12 months and was offered a $15/month discount for a year, the $15 discount was offered by the rep upfront. I will have to re-think all this in a 14 months when my contract is up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)