Loss of BEV HD Channels

pro96 said:
840/841 Are the movie channels, and currently I dont have that movie package.

I am getting all the Eastern HD locals from 815-819 w/o any problems whatsoever.

OK...so can you define MUCH HIGHER?

HDTVFanAtic said:
OK...so can you define MUCH HIGHER?

I will check with my 90cm when I go to my other home sometime this week.
Dual residences is hard to keep up with you know, lol :)

Judging from Pro96's readings in SoCal, a bigger dish is not going to overcome the loss of signal. Thanks for the readings, I'm only 200 miles north so that is going to be pretty indicative.

One thing I am confused about with this change is if they are leaving it this way until they get a new sat in place in 07/08, or is this a temporary measure? Anyone have any comments?

M Law said:
Judging from Pro96's readings in SoCal, a bigger dish is not going to overcome the loss of signal. Thanks for the readings, I'm only 200 miles north so that is going to be pretty indicative.

One thing I am confused about with this change is if they are leaving it this way until they get a new sat in place in 07/08, or is this a temporary measure? Anyone have any comments?

M Law, what size dish are you currently using up north? I will be testing the signal strenght hopefully this week with a 90cm dish if no rain and find the time to do so.

Pro 96, I'm using the standard 20" that came with the system. Been tossing around about going to larger dish, and if that would help me get over the threshold, that's the route I'll take. Please post your results with the 90, I am real curious.

As someone in Los Angeles who lost a bunch of HD channels recently, I'm baffled by Expressvu's recent moves. Does anyone know what the point was of moving, as an example, TSN-HD and SP-HD, to transponders that can't be received in the southern US, but then turning around and introducing these two new channels yesterday that can be received down here just fine? Why not just leave everything the way it was and then introduce the new channels on the new transponder space? There must be some technical reason, but I can't figure it out...

M Law said:
Pro 96, I'm using the standard 20" that came with the system. Been tossing around about going to larger dish, and if that would help me get over the threshold, that's the route I'll take. Please post your results with the 90, I am real curious.

Ok today is a beautiful day here in West Hills, CA. So i was able to test the signal using a Fortec 90cm dish. This is what I got today.. keep in mind that my reading with the 80cm was under light rain conditions.

Transponders from Nimiq 2 at 82w

1- 99%
2- 87%
3- 89%
4- 94%
5- 55%, Locked !!!!!!
6- 0%
7- 0%
8- 89%
9- 58%, Locked !!!!!!!!
10- 0%
11- 0%
12- 92%
13- 95%
14- 89%
15- 88%
16- 90%
17- 87%
18- 80%
19- 85%
20- 84%
21- 93%
22- 0%
23- 89%
24- 88%
25- 46% Locked !!!! (with 80cm had zero reading with rain)
26- 79%
27- 0%
28- 79%
29- 47% Locked !!!! (with 80cm had zero reading with rain)
30- 81%
31- 0%
32- 83%

And I was able to get this channels once again:

800 - CTV HD East
806 - CTV HD West
851 - Rogers Sportsnet HD

And if had the sub for the movie package, I would also receive the movie channels MHD and M HD on transponder 25

Again this readings were done today using a 90cm dish and a Coolsat Circular LNB. Also I used a straight line w/o the sw22 switch and 50ft of RG6 Coax.

When I tested this in Ventura with the 80cm, I used the sw22 and like 35ft of cable. Also the coax connects to a flat 12" coax cable thru my patio doors, so that can also cause some sord of signal loss.

Hope this helps you guys not getting some channels properly.

BTW: I want to test this 1.2m dish I recently got, but that might take a while to do since I have to find the time to properly install that monster :rolleyes:

philhu said:
How come your signals in the 80's and 90's wouldn't lock..

Just curious

LOL, of course they did. I only marked in red and bold the ones that did not lock using the 80cm dish.

Pretty much anything over 45% will lock in the signal.

pro96 said:
5- 55%, Locked !!!!!!
9- 58%, Locked !!!!!!!!
25- 46% Locked !!!! (with 80cm had zero reading with rain)
29- 47% Locked !!!! (with 80cm had zero reading with rain)

And I was able to get this channels once again:

800 - CTV HD East
806 - CTV HD West
851 - Rogers Sportsnet HD

And if had the sub for the movie package, I would also receive the movie channels MHD and M HD on transponder 25

Again this readings were done today using a 90cm dish and a Coolsat Circular LNB. Also I used a straight line w/o the sw22 switch and 50ft of RG6 Coax.

Quite frankly, I think you are very over optimistic with those reading of what is watchable.

I originally had a Dish 500 (20 inch) pointed at 148 and only had a 58 on the 2 transponders I wanted.

It was prone to constant errors and pixelation and would fade out with literally a heavy cloud cover.

I a mid to upper 60s is the only way I would find those acceptable.

Of course, if you can deal with a very inferior signal, your tolerance might be higher.

Thanks for the readings off your 90cm PRO96, that's good news. I think I will take the plunge and see what luck I might have with that size. We're in the rainy season now, but as you well know, we get the best weather most of the year here in Central/South CA. Soon it will be nothing but blue skies and steady signal strength. I'll post later if I can get a larger dish up and operational.

M Law said:
Thanks for the readings off your 90cm PRO96, that's good news. I think I will take the plunge and see what luck I might have with that size. We're in the rainy season now, but as you well know, we get the best weather most of the year here in Central/South CA. Soon it will be nothing but blue skies and steady signal strength. I'll post later if I can get a larger dish up and operational.

Welcome... it's good to hear locals post here every now and then. If you need a good place to purchase the 90cm dish, PM and i can give you some info on local sellers here in Los Angeles.

FYI: Rain is scheduled for this friday, so you have 2 days to perhaps get your 90cm going :D

Pro96, thank you very much for posting your findings. I haven't been able to find any other info about Southern California signal strength so your info is truly appreciated.

Could you PM me about getting a 90 cm dish in LA? Also, what is your experience in working with one? At first glance, it doesn't sound very imposing, only a foot and half bigger than a standard Dish500. But I understand that the weight increases exponentially and that the larger dishes can be very unwieldy. I live in a condo, so I have to quietly sneak up to the roof to do my work. I really don't want to draw any additional attention to myself, and I'm afraid that a 3 foot dish may do just that! Many thanks...

clayface1000 said:
Pro96, thank you very much for posting your findings. I haven't been able to find any other info about Southern California signal strength so your info is truly appreciated.

Could you PM me about getting a 90 cm dish in LA? Also, what is your experience in working with one? At first glance, it doesn't sound very imposing, only a foot and half bigger than a standard Dish500. But I understand that the weight increases exponentially and that the larger dishes can be very unwieldy. I live in a condo, so I have to quietly sneak up to the roof to do my work. I really don't want to draw any additional attention to myself, and I'm afraid that a 3 foot dish may do just that! Many thanks...

If you own the condo then you will be ok, but if you rent/lease then they might question with the bigger size dish. Although you are allowed up to 100cm according to the FCC, but with the landlord's concent.

For me installing any dish is a piece of cake, and most of all fun to do.

I will pm you place where you can buy it locally w/o any shipping involved.. just cash and carry.

Thanks, Pro. I just PM'd you a moment ago. I do own my condo, but I've now got two dishes already installed up there -- one for Dish, the other for Expressvu, plus an OTA antenna. I think my junk is occupying half the rooftop! I just don't want the homeowners association to bust me if I put up some monstrosity that then calls attention to the fact that I'm using a lot more real estate than my fellow homeowners with the other hardware that's already up there.

I enoy installing dishes, too. It's a lot of fun, especially if you don't fall off the roof.

Having been on the fringe of EVERY single beam out there where i have lived most of my life, I can tell you guys are simply just experiencing life on the edge so to speak ;0 A larger dish will always cure your woes. Diff satts have diff footprints.

As they move to diff loations, the footprint changes relative to where you are, but remains static up there on all older satellites. The new ones such as Echostar 11 (not yet launched) can manipulate the footprint where as 99% of what is up there now can not. All that happened was that Directv 1 moved to 82, directv2 moved to 91 and both slots have a little bit of a boost as those birds run doubled up strength, 240 watts versus 120 on Nimiq 1 & 2. For some of us, this move was very welcome as we now get signal that we could not before (I use 6 footers; Channel Masters).

Iceberg, i saw your note claiming that Nimiq 4 is to augment Nimi1, but I dont believe that to be their intention. It says on every press release out there that this will go at 82 and not 91. Are you suggesting based on somethign you read that Nimiq 1 and Nimiq 4 will cover 82 while 91 is done by Nimiq 2 & 3 (AKA Directv 1 &2) ??? ;0 If so where did you read this info. That would be a sweet move for where I am ;0

-Bountykiller

Bountykiller said:
Iceberg, i saw your note claiming that Nimiq 4 is to augment Nimi1, but I dont believe that to be their intention. It says on every press release out there that this will go at 82 and not 91. Are you suggesting based on somethign you read that Nimiq 1 and Nimiq 4 will cover 82 while 91 is done by Nimiq 2 & 3 (AKA Directv 1 &2) ??? ;

-Bountykiller

Telesat has to the end of 2007 to place a Telesat DBS owned satellite at 72.5 - or else Industry Canada will pull their licence for that slot.

Speculation is that N4 will go to 82, thereby leaving N2 free to move to 72.5 to meet licence requirements.

Bell has decided to go the IPTV route, having recently decided to invest $1.4B in Ontario and Quebec in order to upgrade telephone lines for IPTV.

digiblur said:
Just take the plunge and go for the 1.2 meter. You won't be sorry!

Oh yeah.. that's exactly what I am working on. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks I should have my 1.2 Baja Beach Ku-Dish parked at 82w.

Pro96, thanks again for PM'ing me with the info for buying a 90 cm dish in Los Angeles. I never heard from the first guy you recommended, but I had a nice chat with one of your folks in Glendale, and I'll be swinging on by this weekend to pick one up.

Question -- can I just mount the dish on a wall like I would a normal Dish500 (20 inch)? I'm concerned about the weight. I thought about mounting the dish to a piece of 2'x3' pressboard and weighing it down with cement blocks on my flat condo roof. Do you think that would work? This is not the ideal situation for me, as anybody who feels like it could conceivably muck with my installation (nothat they couldn't even with a wall-mounted install).

Do you have any general opinions as to the best/easiest way to do this without possibly destroying common property?

Lastly, are you still receiving a decent signal on CTVHD-E & W and SN-HD? I just wanted to make sure that this effort is still worth my while...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)