Loss of BEV HD Channels

That's weird....TP 7 on 82 is one of the stronger TP's for me, according to Lyngsat TSN is on TP 7. I don't have Expressvu as this point but I was thinking of it in the future, I believe I might hold out for now.

fwiw, I was had not made a trek to the roof in 30 days or so and went up there earlier today to try and tweak 91W. To my surprise, i did increase some of the signals dramatically on 91W, however I screwed up 82W at the same time - so I'll try again tomorrow when its light again.

I am still not getting all the 91W transponders thus I am hitting the dreaded searching for signal/signal loss when changing channels, which leads me to believe there are 2 different birds at 91W in operation, but I did increase the signal on some of the weaker transponders. Not that its that big of a deal, but for the first time I can pick up all the radio stations - where before 1/2 of them where on transponders I could not pick up.

Irregardless, I hope to see how much I can tweak 82W as that is my focus. I still get all the HD Channels, but some are clearly weaker - on the fringe - now that I peaked 91W.

clayface1000 said:
It still mystifies me as to the rationale Expressvu used to make these transponder changes. For instance, the HD PPVs are on transponders that can still be received down here, yet, there's no way a southern subscriber could actually purchase an event. So why didn't they move these channels to the new transponders? Same thing with SRC-HD and the preview channel. Proportionately, there can't be THAT many people in the US who are clamoring for these channels compared to SN-HD and TSN-HD, which surely must be the two most popular overall. So why did they kill those two channels, and in the process, probably lose a lot of revenue from subscribers who will be forced to quit their service?

It makes you wonder doesn't it. They also added a couple of new HD channels which are on free preview, and I can get just fine, which I could'nt give a rats ass about.

I pretty sure the last time they did the shuffle with 91, TSN-SD was originally on a tp we couldn't get down here, but they moved it. Maybe we'll get lucky again.

Yes, I remember when TSN & SN-Ontario and Pacific were first knocked out (in standard def) when they first moved things around a couple years ago on 91. After a week or so, I think, they moved things around and TSN and SN-Ontario & Pacific were back -- but they knocked out SN-East and West instead!

I was just curious about everybody's location to see what I can extrapolate from everyone's findings. It seems that Floridians can still yank in all the transponders if you go to a bigger dish. Here in California, a larger dish will get you some, but not all of them back.

I wish I could get hold of the engineer who's making all these changes at Expressvu. I'd be willing to take up a collection and bribe him to make some logical swaps!

Last edited:
Fan, how far south in Florida are you, and what size dish are you using for 82? If you are getting all the HD channels, then maybe there is some hope for me.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm near Fort Myers, and just using a Dish 500 setup.

BTW, if you get that engineer, I'll gladly chip in!

I was wondering, what type of email reply would you get back from Evu if you asked them why they can't move PPV's to the weaker transponders. Not give your real name, use an email that can't be identified with your account. State that you know that they are not legally able to provide service to the US, but there are plenty down here that have it, and they will changing to Starchoice since the sat shuffle because of the HD loss.

They'd probably not answer, but I'd be curious on the response if they did.

angiodan said:
Fan, how far south in Florida are you, and what size dish are you using for 82? If you are getting all the HD channels, then maybe there is some hope for me.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm near Fort Myers, and just using a Dish 500 setup.

BTW, if you get that engineer, I'll gladly chip in!

I was wondering, what type of email reply would you get back from Evu if you asked them why they can't move PPV's to the weaker transponders. Not give your real name, use an email that can't be identified with your account. State that you know that they are not legally able to provide service to the US, but there are plenty down here that have it, and they will changing to Starchoice since the sat shuffle because of the HD loss.

They'd probably not answer, but I'd be curious on the response if they did.

I am 100 miles north using a .9 Meter.

I would never had tried it, even before this with a Dish 500, but I guess it could work if you were willing to put up with the glitches.

I'd try a 1 Meter Dish at a minimum from Central Florida South.

100 miles, sounds close to Tampa.

So, I have to ask myself, do I feel lucky punk! :)

I think its worth a shot with a 1 meter for me. I'm assuming I can just take one of the LNB's off of my Dish 500 and use it on the bigger one with the proper holder.

Dish suggestions and install tips would be greatly appreciated, since I've never dealt with anything bigger than a 20" pizza dish!

Anyone ever answer this one? I want to know as well, cause as soon as I have a little free time, I'll be putting up a 1 to 1.2 mtr. It would be good to know the fixes before I run over the problems.

clayface1000 said:
Pro96, yesterday I went to the retailer you recommended to me in Glendale (Calif) and picked up a 90 cm dish and a great $10 signal meter!

I did a temporary installation today, but took it down because it was so big and I got cold feet about my homeowners association. I was able to get a signal of around 49-51 on the transponders where CTVHD-E and W reside, along with SN-HD -- and reception of these channels. I'm undecided about doing a permanent installation, but in the meantime I had a question for you.

I was sold a 11250 LNB that was designed to fit on the new dish, and was told it was compatible with Expressvu. (Which was verified by my googling the subject.) However, I was unable to get my receiver to "see" the signal, which was run through an SW-21 switch along with a standard dual LNB, which was situated at 92 degrees. It's clear that the new LNB worked, as I was getting a very strong signal with my signal meter.

I slipped the 11250 LNB out of its holder and duct-taped in a genuine Expressvu LNB in its place. This configuration worked fine and my signal findings above, were based on this.

What's wrong with my configuration? Is the 11250 LNB incompatible with an SW-21? What are my options if I decide to do the permanent installation? Are there other switches I can use, or perhaps an adapter for the LNB? I did an extensive web search but couldn't really come up with the answer.

Thanks again for your help!

Stop by the local Free to Air forum here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=24

There are several members who can give you tips on setting up your larger stationary dish. I'm sure you'll be able to find photos and recommendations of equipment. Be sure to include that you have a valid subscription and that you are not hacking ExpressVu otherwise Iceberg will give you the hammer ;)

I agree with everyone else I'd go out with a bang and get the 1.2m. If you get the 90cm you'll always be wondering what the 1.2m is like. The 90cm would probably do but I think it would border line as some of the TP's are borderline unlockable with a 90cm in Louisiana.

M Law said:
Anyone ever answer this one? I want to know as well, cause as soon as I have a little free time, I'll be putting up a 1 to 1.2 mtr. It would be good to know the fixes before I run over the problems.

Maybe the LNB the user had was a linear LNB and not circular?

As it turned out, the retailer sold me a 10.75 GHz LNB meant for Ku band, rather than the 12.75 GHz one I needed for Expressvu. I had to educate myself, as he insisted that he had sold me the right one and the receipt reflected that. A few days ago, I couldn't tell you the difference between one and another, but after surfing the web for a while, I finally figured it. I talked to the retailer and he'll swap me for the right one tomorrow. So back up to the roof I go!

I got my hands on an elliptical dish as I had mentioned in another thread.
Well, I had a couple of hours to mess around with it this morning before work, and unfortunately, I'm still out of luck on the no signal tp's. The other tp's went up about 10-15 points, with 5 and 9 going to a lockable but unviewable 40%. 7, 11 and 27 are still big goose eggs. I was hoping for something, then I could have gone bigger. (Now I sound like my wife!)

So, I think it is safe to say, the footprint cutoff must be between Tampa and Fort Myers for EVu 82.

I'll be posting this in the other thread as well.

Thanks Ice and everyone for your help.

angiodan said:
I got my hands on an elliptical dish as I had mentioned in another thread.
Well, I had a couple of hours to mess around with it this morning before work, and unfortunately, I'm still out of luck on the no signal tp's. The other tp's went up about 10-15 points, with 5 and 9 going to a lockable but unviewable 40%. 7, 11 and 27 are still big goose eggs. I was hoping for something, then I could have gone bigger. (Now I sound like my wife!)

So, I think it is safe to say, the footprint cutoff must be between Tampa and Fort Myers for EVu 82.

I'll be posting this in the other thread as well.

Thanks Ice and everyone for your help.

What size is the dish?

I am little confused by this. While I have know Broadcast RF signals pretty well, I have never "driven the signal" for a satellite transponder, so I cannot speak with as confidence on this. But I find it hard to believe the roll off on the signal would be that steep in a 100 mile stretch. I would think you would see something besides goose eggs. I can't see their being a brick wall. I easily be wrong, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

What size Dish and and what type lnb are you using?

clayface1000 said:
As it turned out, the retailer sold me a 10.75 GHz LNB meant for Ku band, rather than the 12.75 GHz one I needed for Expressvu. I had to educate myself, as he insisted that he had sold me the right one and the receipt reflected that. A few days ago, I couldn't tell you the difference between one and another, but after surfing the web for a while, I finally figured it. I talked to the retailer and he'll swap me for the right one tomorrow. So back up to the roof I go!

Glad that will be resolved.. now if only it would not rain this weekend here in Socal :rolleyes:

pro96 said:
Glad that will be resolved.. now if only it would not rain this weekend here in Socal :rolleyes:

It's a 36" x 24" elliptical that Directv uses for its international programming like the pic below. I removed the 3 lnbs, and just used the middle one. (Not the Sat C as instructed by Iceberg!)

Fan, I was hoping I would pick up something on the 7,11, and 27. If I recall with the N1/N3 shuffle a couple of years back, it was a pretty dramatic loss of signal over a short stretch of mileage.

Attachments

• SACGAINCOMBO.gif
    SACGAINCOMBO.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 125
angiodan said:
It's a 36" x 24" elliptical that Directv uses for its international programming like the pic below. I removed the 3 lnbs, and just used the middle one. (Not the Sat C as instructed by Iceberg!)

Fan, I was hoping I would pick up something on the 7,11, and 27. If I recall with the N1/N3 shuffle a couple of years back, it was a pretty dramatic loss of signal over a short stretch of mileage.

That dish isn't going to get you the gain your looking for. Your looking for a straight up 36inch offset.

digiblur said:
That dish isn't going to get you the gain your looking for. Your looking for a straight up 36inch offset.

Agreed - though I would try a 1.0 Meter or 1.2 instead of a .9 Meter.

You might also have luck with 0.3 lnb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts