Lost absolute now I have to pay to send their equipment back.

No it is not their office but they already ship stuff back and forth. Not to mention that those dealers will likely reuse some of the same equipment you are shipping back. So it is not a far fetched idea to allow to send back to an authorized dealer/installer.

It is far fetched as that dealer can't verify that the equipment is the correct work unit that you are supposed to be returning.

Does nobody read any agreements before you sign them. From the sound of all this complaining, i think not. It states right in the afreement you sign to get service that you will be charged a fee to return equipment. You can always buy it and then not have to pay to return it. You have options.

whatchel1 said:
Then get your SATELLITE equipment from them. Oh Amazon & Netflix are those the DVD's your returning now a big heavy sat receiver. BTW E* doesn't have a local office. That dealer in your area isn't their office. E* does some things wrong but I don't see this as one. Since the customer is leaving they have no more obligation to you as a customer. It makes sense to me that this is the way it happens.

I was just answering your question. I guess it wasn't as rhetorical as you thought. I own my own equipment, so this won't be an issue for me. I do, however, sympathize with people who are charged this with no warning or even worse, misinformed on what they even need to return, as we just witnessed here in this thread.

Really? They cant verify it? It may not be streamlined but im sure that they could get an email, fax or even by phone. They already have communication channels open between them.
Hell, Im sure that the customer can bring a printout and they can verify with that and sign off. then the customer can mail it, fax it, or scan it to dish for double verification. So many ways to do it.
You make it sounds like they never do business with each other.

Does nobody read any agreements before you sign them. From the sound of all this complaining, i think not. It states right in the afreement you sign to get service that you will be charged a fee to return equipment. You can always buy it and then not have to pay to return it. You have options.

Of course they didn't. That's why there are here bitching. But by pointing it out, your are really ruining their fun...

I was just answering your question. I guess it wasn't as rhetorical as you thought. I own my own equipment, so this won't be an issue for me. I do, however, sympathize with people who are charged this with no warning or even worse, misinformed on what they even need to return, as we just witnessed here in this thread.

I agree with you. I personally dont have a huge problem with the fee but i think the system should be improved and streamlined to both their own and the customer benefit. I do think that given the circumstances in this case it is a little much since the cancellations are due to them removing the programming and not offering an equivalent alternative. beating a dead horse.

Really? They cant verify it? It may not be streamlined but im sure that they could get an email, fax or even by phone. They already have communication channels open between them.
Hell, Im sure that the customer can bring a printout and they can verify with that and sign off. then the customer can mail it, fax it, or scan it to dish for double verification. So many ways to do it.
You make it sounds like they never do business with each other.

They can not verify it as they can't turn programming on the the unit to see if it takes commands from home. What you are talking about is just finding out if the RO # is correct. Also they are not allowed to open the unit and check it to see that it looks good inside etc. You are expecting an independent dealer to take equipment in and reuse it when E* has checked anything on it. That is just not someting I would ever want to do if I were one of their dealers.

They can not verify it as they can't turn programming on the the unit to see if it takes commands from home. What you are talking about is just finding out if the RO # is correct. Also they are not allowed to open the unit and check it to see that it looks good inside etc. You are expecting an independent dealer to take equipment in and reuse it when E* has checked anything on it. That is just not someting I would ever want to do if I were one of their dealers.

I gotcha. I am not saying this can be turned on overnight, but it is not far fetched that a process can be put in place. I would even guess that a cost analysis might even turn out to be beneficial as they could possibly reduce staff that verifies the equipment and put the onus on their dealers.

I wouldn't use USPS to send one back, too many chances of it not arriving, even with a shipment confirmation. I canceled Dish on 1/13/11 (long live Absolute's memory...and cheap price!), Dish sent a box with a prepaid label (the $15 charge), I put the 622, 2 remotes, and lnb in the box. (I didn't wanna leave another sat dish on the roof, so I took everything down except the mount.) I couldn't ship it to El Paso cheaper than what Dish charged, it would have cost me about $20 to ship UPS under my name. I'm not gonna debate whether Dish should charge this, I was aware of the charge before I canceled, both from reading posts of previous subs who canceled, and retentions mentioned it to me. From what has been posted in the past, you don't have to climb up on the roof to retrieve the lnb if this is hazardous to you, or if you are physically unable to do so. I'm not sure where the switch is mounted, if you have one (I didn't).

I'm not sure where the switch is mounted, if you have one (I didn't).

I didn't realize that some didn't need one. So how do I know that I needed one in the first place. Maybe that's why I can't find it. I certainly wasn't looking for it while I was taking down the satellite gear.

I didn't realize that some didn't need one. So how do I know that I needed one in the first place. Maybe that's why I can't find it. I certainly wasn't looking for it while I was taking down the satellite gear.

How many receivers did you have, what models, and what dish (preferably LNB model if you know it)?

How many receivers did you have, what models, and what dish (preferably LNB model if you know it)?

1 vip722

One dish says Dishnetwork 500 and the other says Dishnetwork 1000 on it. The LNBs I have here and on the 'label' one has Dish Pro Digital LNBF BS1B1UP001M and the other has dp Plus Digital LNBF A71201-WF07009SQ.

If the dishes were connected together with a coax, you did not have a switch.

Ahhh, thank you so much. I'm pretty sure they were. Those instructions in the box should say 'if applicable' or something to that effect next to the part about packing up the switch! I've spent hours looking around here for that damned switch!

I've taken a lot of calls where someone hasn't been able to find the switch when they're returning equipment. "If Applicable" would be a good addition to the instructional letter.

MattG here has confirmed that you don't have to pay to return it. The cost, if you choose to have Dish provide the shipping label, is for shipping. You figure out how to get it back to Dish.

What's the 'fee' to have Dish accept back their equipment??

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)