Lost Channels - Transponders with no signal

Starchioce is much friendlier to southern subs- they have a home away from home program where you can use *c is usa- you can call them and change programingg via computer or telephone and avoid a lot of broker fees. they have most of the channels bev has- check out their web site. who know what bev will do next- they do not really care about southern subs as bev does want want us subs.

BEV Nimiq 4iR signal reports

Can anyone in Northern California, Oregon or Washington, let us know if they are able to receive Nimiq 41R transponders 4, 8, 10, 12, 18, 22, 24 and 26? If you can, what size dish are you using?

Can anyone in Northern California, Oregon or Washington, let us know if they are able to receive Nimiq 41R transponders 4, 8, 10, 12, 18, 22, 24 and 26? If you can, what size dish are you using?

I'm in San Jose California. I'm using a 3 foot dish and can't receive any of these transponders.

I'm in San Jose California. I'm using a 3 foot dish and can't receive any of these transponders.

I guess there is no one one this forum north of you that is a BEV subscriber. A couple of months ago, I did hear from a guy near Campbell River, BC. He said the standard dish size there for BEV was 24" (60 cm).

I'm in Denver Colorado with a Dish 500 (aimed at 91 & 82) and I get 100% on those sat 91 transponders (4, 8, 10, 12, 18, 22, 24 and 26). In fact, those are the strongest transponders from 91 I get.

In the last month, I started having problems with some transponders on 82. The ones that are gone were weak before (around 55 or so) but now they do not even register on the signal screen.
I reaimed my dish with a signal level meter and it didn't help. And replaced my LNB. There are no obstructions in the way. So either the beam moved, or the output power on the sat has dropped....

I guess it's time to buy a bigger dish and see if any part of the beam on those transponders gets down here at all now...it would be interesting to know where these beams are focused and where they dropoff.

Others have repeatedly stated that STAR CHOICE is the obvious and only
longterm solution to those in the Southern U.S. (and Mexico) struggling with continual changes (for the worse) on Bell ExpressVu systems.

Bell ExpressVu has made it abundantly clear that they do not want to serve anyone outside of Canada; whether it be grey market American users, or
those permanently residing in Canada but on vacation in the Lower 48.
If they even suspect that you are not inside Canada, there is a good chance
that service may be shut off without warning. When that happens, you can
complain, and then be permanently noted and shut off. This same attitude applies to the use of decrepit aging DirecTV satellites to extend the abilities of their bandaged system. Things will continue to deteriorate between now and whenever a replacement satellite goes into orbit (maybe next year??). And we don't really know where its southern coverage may cut off.

Those already losing a number of channels can wait and gamble (and install larger antennas)...but it could very well be for naught. If you want better picture quality and far superior audio, Star Choice is a better choice than Bell ExpressVu.
The signals on their satellites extend well into Mexico and parts of the northern Caribbean. Star Choice genuinely wants to have paying customers (with registered Canadian addresses) and it shows in everything from the way that
they treat customers (24 / 7 customer service) to the huge coverage area of
their satellites. Those that have lost their ExpressVu signals can sit and wait
on the fence, but life is not getting any longer. If you want Canadian television,
Star Choice's signals spill down solidly anywhere on the U.S. mainland.

Sorry I did not view this earlier for people buying more equipment. I am in Oregon and have had a 100cm dish and an expensive Invacom Quad for over a year. Sorry guys, it makes little difference between the 24" std bell dish and that. I've tried them both. The major switcheroo was made by bev on 2/28/07. When more than 40 chans. were lost overnight. Again I apologize for not seeing this earlier.

I agree with Mike. Starchoice has a home away from home prgram.
for a one time charge of 50.00, you can set up usage at an address in the usa. then you can use ppv, call tech support, phone *C directly, etc. the only thing you still need is a canadian address.

Sorry I did not view this earlier for people buying more equipment. I am in Oregon and have had a 100cm dish and an expensive Invacom Quad for over a year. Sorry guys, it makes little difference between the 24" std bell dish and that. I've tried them both. The major switcheroo was made by bev on 2/28/07. When more than 40 chans. were lost overnight. Again I apologize for not seeing this earlier.

I got my 100-cm dish and Invacom LNB cooking earlier today. Unlike sleepybear's results, I got a significant improvement over my 24-inch dish. Although I haven't totally optimized alignment or dish location, I picked up 4 of the 8 missing transponders. They are weak but viewable. The ones coming in on the big dish are 4, 8, 12 and 24.

Mike:

Have to agree with you about some of the attitude BEV hands out - must be nice to be able to turn away business... Like a lot of us in the Very Deep South <grin>, the major investment is in the big dish. I realize that the LNB and receiver would have to change if switching to SC - how 'bout my 8' Andersen - is that compatible with SC signal (currently only interested in standard def reception)? Thanks...

It may take some modification, because your Andersen 8 foot
(I assume that it is an offset type) likely uses a rectangular DBS
configuration. What would be necessary is to modify with a clamp
and some hardware to install something capable of holding the
40 mm outside diameter (1.5 inches) "neck" on a linear Ku-band
LNBF. You have got so much potential signal on an eight foot offset
howver, that it would be quite easy to modify to allow a separate
LNBF for both 107.3 and 111.1 Ku-band satellites---should you wish
to consider HD or other channels from 111.1 (Anik F2).
Drop me a PM with a picture of your LNBF and its existing bracket,
and I can make a quick advisory on what it would take.

I am located in Central Florida. I get all the TP on 91 and 82. (- 8-12-24 on 82) When the change in Feb came about, the weak TP's on 91 which were in the mid to high 60's for me went to the high 90's. The TP's that were in the high 90's went to the low 70's.

Example: on 91, TP's 3-7-9-11-17-21-23-25- were in the mid 60-high 60's. Now those same TP's are in the high 90's.

On the other hand, TP's 4-8-10-12-24 were in the high 80-low 90's now they are in the mid 60- high 60's.

On 82, TP's 2-19-21-22-23-26-28 all dropped approx 5-8 %in signal strength.

So for me, the change so far really did nothing to effect me. I'm going to sit tight and not change anything for the time being, maybe if the same holds true, repeak the dish in the fall when it's cooler outside.

For info purpose, Dish 500 on 91 and Wingard 24 for 82

I got my 100-cm dish and Invacom LNB cooking earlier today. Unlike sleepybear's results, I got a significant improvement over my 24-inch dish. Although I haven't totally optimized alignment or dish location, I picked up 4 of the 8 missing transponders. They are weak but viewable. The ones coming in on the big dish are 4, 8, 12 and 24.

Man, that's bad news for me. I only needed 26, for RDS.

And, for all it's advantages, it doesn't look like Starchoice offers RDS. True, or am I reading their packages wrong?

any progress carl033 ?

carl033, have you progressed with the 4 remainding transponders?It was quite disapointing loosing RDS right in the middle of the hockey playoffs.
I run my service here in orange county california with one 24" standard BEV at 91 and 24" direct tv at 82, I pay the service at a relative's home in Ontario.I'm tempted to do what you did but only if I can get the ONE transponder I just cant do without and at your last post, you still had not been able to see it.
thanks in advance

carl033, have you progressed with the 4 remainding transponders?It was quite disapointing loosing RDS right in the middle of the hockey playoffs.
I run my service here in orange county california with one 24" standard BEV at 91 and 24" direct tv at 82, I pay the service at a relative's home in Ontario.I'm tempted to do what you did but only if I can get the ONE transponder I just cant do without and at your last post, you still had not been able to see it.
thanks in advance

Sadly, I can't see Transponder 26 (or 10, 18 and 22), where RDS is. Oddly enough, my son on San Jose gets a sniff of 26 from time to time with his 90-cm Fortec and Invacom 0.3 dB NF LNB. However, it doesn't necessarily follow that the further south you are, the stronger the signal. It's usually just the opposite.
Much of the programming currently on my missing transponders is French language and of no interest to me. Another poster reported that RDS is part of the French Essentials Package on Star Choice. They are much more "friendly" toward displaced subscribers in the US. PQ is reported to be superior to BEV and their radio services (much of it in French) is head-and-shoulders above BEV's meager offering.

thanks for the reply; it's really too bad for the outcome though, I was really hoping for another answer; I guess that kills my idea of getting that 39" Gospell dish I was looking at on Ebay, probably a waste of time and money...

thanks for the reply; it's really too bad for the outcome though, I was really hoping for another answer; I guess that kills my idea of getting that 39" Gospell dish I was looking at on Ebay, probably a waste of time and money...

Your best bet is to switch to Star Choice. Lots of folks on the West Coast and extreme Southeast US have done so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)