Lost Dish Yesterday - Tech Replaced LNB’s today

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I got home yesterday evening and had complete loss of signal on 119 and 129. Check switch showed only 110 connected to my DPH42 switch on both Hopper3 receivers. I called Dish and they scheduled a tech visit for the next day. The Dish tech showed up at 12:30 today. He said the Dish was correctly aimed.so he replaced the three LNB’s. That fixed my problem. I am surprised that 2 of the 3 LNB’s were bad. They were installed this last fall when my Dish was relocated to my roof from a pole mount due to LOS issues with 129.

I missed the 4K Olympics last night but I watched NBC Olympics using the OTA tuner.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I got home yesterday evening and had complete loss of signal on 119 and 129. Check switch showed only 110 connected to my DPH42 switch on both Hopper3 receivers. I called Dish and they scheduled a tech visit for the next day. The Dish tech showed up at 12:30 today. He said the Dish was correctly aimed.so he replaced the three LNB’s. That fixed my problem. I am surprised that 2 of the 3 LNB’s were bad. They were installed this last fall when my Dish was relocated to my roof from a pole mount due to LOS issues with 129.

I missed the 4K Olympics last night but I watched NBC Olympics using the OTA tuner.
Your style of writing looks like you are blaiming us for your bad luck. Most of us are consumers just like you.

Your style of writing looks like you are blaiming us for your bad luck. Most of us are consumers just like you.

I am not blaming anyone. In fact I was pleased that Dish was able to schedule an appointment the next day. I consider that good service. I was just surprised that I lost two LNB’s at once. The signal strength was 70-80 on the 119 LNB and 50 on the 129 LNB last week. I was betting that the problem would be with the DPH42 switch or that wind had moved the dish. I was really surprised that changing out the LNB’s was the fix. Again the LNB’s were installed this last fall so they were not that old.

Tonight while watching Olympics both of my Hopper3 receivers failed again. I have a Red X under System Status Box A and the issue is Port 1 - No Signal
When I do a Check Switch it again only finds Satellite 110.
I called Dish Technical Support but they will not send out a technician since their weather map shows rain in my area. I tried to argue that this happened yesterday with clear skies and 75F. I also find it hard to believe that I would totally lose 119 and 129 satellites while 110 satellite is giving me a signal strength of 78 on Transponder 19. I am now convinced that the problem is the DPH42 switch but I could not convince the Dish Technical Support. I will have to call again tomorrow. I take back my earlier praise of Dish.
I tested the signal on 110
Transponder 14 = 67-68
Transponder 15 = 73
Transponder 16 = 70-71
Transponder 21 = 78
and yet 119 and 129 are not found. I don’t believe weather is causing this

Great that you got things resolved issue is that tech made at least one truck roll for free and if they had too many return calls in a period of time they were likely docked a percentage from any other call they run for the next several weeks. Techs replace what they think sometimes is the problem, most don't know how to diagnose issues with certain equipment...sometimes they just have to replace whatever and cross their fingers it resolves the issue and you don't call back in 12days.
Most people don't realize that.. I hope you at least gave the tech all 10's on a survey.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Great that you got things resolved issue is that tech made at least one truck roll for free and if they had too many return calls in a period of time they were likely docked a percentage from any other call they run for the next several weeks. Techs replace what they think sometimes is the problem, most don't know how to diagnose issues with certain equipment...sometimes they just have to replace whatever and cross their fingers it resolves the issue and you don't call back in 12days.
Most people don't realize that.. I hope you at least gave the tech all 10's on a survey.
...Nines, you mean? It hasn't been 10's for over a year

Reactions: tetrode
My problem continues. Today, I wanted to watch my local news at noon. Once again, I am getting the error “Port 1 - No Signal”
1) Tech visit 1 - replaced the 110,119,129 LNB’s. Everything worked for 1 day.
2) Tech visit 2 - replaced the DPH42 switch. Everything worked for 1 day.
3) Now I have the same problem again. They have scheduled a tech visit for noon tomorrow.

I now am guessing that a short or stray voltage is the problem. I feel sorry for the technician since he will be blamed for not finding the problem. I feel fortunate that I was able to watch the Olympics Closing Ceremony last night since 129 now shows no signal. Hipkat or JSheridan how would you troubleshoot something like this?

A couple of questions:

Are both your H3's doing the same thing?

Do I remember you saying that you are using 3 separate DP LNB's?

So it's a standard 1000.2 western arc dish and DPP LNB?

If so I'd start by thoroughly inspecting the lines from the dish to the switch, including connectors, ground blocks, etc.

He did not replace the power inserter. That could be the problem. I will try to have him check everything. My DPH42 switch is warm but not hot. Is that normal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)